www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 15th, 2018, 16:47   #31
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

I think that would be some bad ju-ju. If you turned off regens, soot would continue to accumulate in the DPF and you could go easily beyond the point where a regen wouldn't be possible. I'll bet unplugging the exhaust butterfly valve and ASV might do the trick though.

I would agree that the idea of regens is some pretty boneheaded engineering that was inflicted upon us by the EPA. Does anyone have actual numbers on how much regens reduce emissions? I tried to correlate the emissions on my BRM as compared to the 2009 through the 2014 CR's and couldn't find any meaningful data. I think they just want us to keep drinking the "climate change" Kool-Aid.

NatGeo had a photograph of a Polar Bear dying of natural causes and the photographer attributed it's condition to "Climate Change". When NatGeo published a retraction, the photographer stated that what was photographed wasn't technically caused by climate change, but does represent what climate change can do. Really? People at the EPA with this mindset are apparently writing emission standard's legislation.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 17:48   #32
jmodge
Veteran Member

We had a lot of issues with municipal trucks, lots of stop and go. Regens did not always happen sufficently. Eventually derating to a point where a regen could not be forced and if the proper software was not available, the trucks would have to be sent to the dealer. Also DPF's would have to be removed and cleaned.
A whole different animal, but the systems are all similar and very touchy as far as following proper operation and maintenance. I lean towards deleting, but know circumstances often dictate otherwise.
Old November 15th, 2018, 18:02   #33
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Mongler is wrong as usual, no surprise there.
How so? All i said was that an oil temp gauge is basically useless.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 04:38   #34
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
How so? All i said was that an oil temp gauge is basically useless.
You said oil gets hot before the coolant. That is wrong. I could explain it to you, but it isn't worth the keystrokes.
Old November 16th, 2018, 04:39   #35
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
Is there a way to defeat regen, temporarily? So, turn it off for the duration of an event, then turn it back on after?

Yep. Remove the DPF, tune the engine, then put the DPF back on, and return the software to stock. You won't want to do that. Trust me.
Old November 16th, 2018, 06:06   #36
JediJoker

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Quote:
Yep. Remove the DPF, tune the engine, then put the DPF back on, and return the software to stock. You won't want to do that. Trust me.
Seems like there ought to be a way to just flash a tune with a feature allowing regen defeat, and possibly forcing regen, as well. Defeat it before a session, force it at the end during cooldown.

"Dieselgate" / 2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI 6-speed
JediJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 06:26   #37
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
Seems like there ought to be a way to just flash a tune with a feature allowing regen defeat, and possibly forcing regen, as well. Defeat it before a session, force it at the end during cooldown.
You could basically do that by purchasing a flashzilla with a delete tune. I would think a spirited track session ought to heat up the dpf enough to cook off the soot without active regens. Then you could flash back to stock for the drive home.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 06:54   #38
oilhammer

The exhaust is ALWAYS going through the DPF. So without regens, it will soot up. Since track use is going to increase the soot level, disabling its ability to regen is not a good idea. It isn't like you can just put the soot on hold for a while.

There are software maps that disable the EGR, and limit fueling, so the engine runs leaner, so less soot is produced, but not really any more power, that will extend the period between DPF regens (which is exactly the opposite of the what the Dieselgate "fix" does), but all the equipment is still intact.
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:39   #39
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, my thinking was that an aggressive track session would basically be one long passive regen. There'd be more soot produced for sure, so it might not be an experiment worth trying .
Old November 16th, 2018, 16:55   #40
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
You said oil gets hot before the coolant. That is wrong. I could explain it to you, but it isn't worth the keystrokes.
You must not have read my next post about that!

You can’t have coolant and oil at different temperatures once the car has been running for a few minutes due to the oil / coolant heat exchanger.
DURRR.
You gata give me more credit than that.
I was talking about how oil "warms up" to an operating temperature based on viscosity MUCH faster than the coolant temp does in the same regard to heat capacity of the metal internal parts and block. You don’t want to thrash on cold metal parts.
The point of this thread was about oil temps and the use of a monitoring gauge and thus my point is 100% valid on how temperature is a direct relationship of pressure. PV=NrT, come on now guys, Chem 101 here!
Oil is rated in temperature weights as I know you know this already so not worth explaining. The point is that as soon as the oil gets moving, as long as it’s in its lifespan of expectable weight and pressure vs viscosity ranges, its DEFINATLY gets "hotter" or "warmed up" faster than the coolant system and engine internals.
Please read more before you criticize my knowledge on engines and mechanical sciences.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 17:28   #41
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

C'mon Mongler, you already admitted that you were wrong about the oil coming up to temp "WAY" quicker than coolant. Just leave it at that. No need to babble on senselessly about relationships between temp and pressure etc.- that has absolutely no bearing here.
Old November 17th, 2018, 09:40   #42
oilhammer

Senseless babbling is a hallmark of his posts!
Old November 17th, 2018, 11:08   #43
tadawson
Veteran Member

Considering that PV=nrT is the universal *GAS* law, and oil isn't a gas makes it even more comical . . . that doesn't apply to incompressable liquids, like, say, oil . . . . .

And the assumption that heat transfer from oil to coolant in instantaneous is a good one as well . . .

The coolant circuit is designed to pick up heat - cylinder water jackets, etc. The oil circuit is designed to lubricate parts in cooler parts of the engine. No huge surprise which one will heat faster . . . (at least not here . . .).
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote