LSD for me and my 2010 Golf Wagen TDI

babaji

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI
As the title would suggest I am looooooving my ride!:D

The fuel filler cap states ultra low sulphur diesel, the other day at the Shell filling station, they had 2 pumps "Diesel" and the other was labeled V-power Ultra Low-Sulphur Diesel. The regular 'Diesel" pump did not have any indication that it was "Ultra Low Sulphur" whereas the premium pumped had a 'frame' right on the nozzle where they can insert a card with a message or other advert. This one said "Ultra low sulphur diesel". Where the regular pump's advertising frame was empty.

My question is the regular diesel also 'ultra low sulphur' or only the $premium$?

Cheers
Scott

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Chances are both are ULSD. The more expensive stuff has a little higher cetane and more additives.

The higher cetane may offer you a little more power, or may make starting a little easier, but not all that much difference.

The additional additives will have clean the fuel system etc. but frankly you don't really need any more than comes in standard diesel fuel.

babaji

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI
Thanks for the info Joe! I wonder if shell is intentionally omitting the "ULSD" designation from their 'regular diesel' pump in order to confuse buyers and sell more premium diesel.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I wonder if shell is intentionally omitting the "ULSD" designation from their 'regular diesel' pump in order to confuse buyers and sell more premium diesel. I would guess that is what they are doing. It is possible that it might be LSD, but with the regulations the US feds are doing it doubt if they could get away with it this side of the boarder, I don't know how serious they are on your side.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Were the pumps set to the same price per liter? If so, they were probably pumping from the same storage tank.

Bill

babaji

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI
It was definitely more expensive for the v-power ULSD maybe 5 cents more than the plain vanilla diesel.

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
I inquired about premium diesel at a Shell station the other day. No ULSD sticker on the pump so I went in to inquire. The attendent said nope, just LSD, so I drove on.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Welcome aboard. Your screen name s/a Supertramp song Babaji

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds......

I like the song not the stuff, and am pretty sure your TDI won't run at all with that liquid.

Btw, regular Diesel fuel sold in NA, by default is ULSD labelled or not.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
For Canada:

Refiners and importers must ensure that all volumes of on-road diesel fuel they produce or import are ULSD-compliant on June 1, 2006. Retail outlets must be compliant by September 1, 2006, but this may be extended to October 15, 2006 pending the outcome of a requested amendment. The extension, if granted by Environment Canada, would allow 22 ppm ULSD to be sold from September 1 until October 15, and would align with a similar extension provided in the U.S. regulation.

babaji

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon 2.0 TDI
@T D I Power
Thanks for the welcome! Great community here... and thanks for the info, musical and fuel related!

@Joe
Thanks for the great info, regular deisel, here i come....

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
Gvien the trouble the oil companies have to go through to avoid contaminating ULSD when pipelining and trucking it, there appears little incentive to continue producing anything but.

railflyer

TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
All newer than 2007 TDI's will run on LSD, but it will ruin your emissions gear such as the DPF. The dealer will then do a test and discover the LSD and void warranty coverage. People saying your car wont even run on it is wrong, it will run fine, until it ruins your DPF.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
railflyer said:
All newer than 2007 TDI's will run on LSD, but it will ruin your emissions gear such as the DPF. The dealer will then do a test and discover the LSD and void warranty coverage. People saying your car wont even run on it is wrong, it will run fine, until it ruins your DPF.

You are quite correct, but please:

How about we tailor our advice so as not to possibly cause a newbie to incur a large and unneeded expense???

"If your car is a diesel in the USA and is a 2007 or newer model, then it NEEDS ULSD fuel in order to 'run' correctly." This is a better statement, IMO.

Bill

Last edited:

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
Don't even go there. Veg oil and common rail do not play well together.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
babaji said:
How much sulphur is there in French-Fry oil?
:confused:
Don't even THINK about it. The engine in your car - and more specifically, its emission control equipment - is absolutely not compatible with vegetable-oil. Not even biodiesel is acceptable at more than 5% concentration to ensure warranty coverage. And you really, really don't want to have to replace all four catalytic converters (oxidizing, DPF, de-NOx, de-H2S) and have to pay for them yourself.