2006 Jetta BRM DSG upgrades

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have owned my first diesel Jetta for the past 10 months. I have limited knowledge regarding diesel engines and I'm asking for opinions regarding some upgrades. I've noticed many good reviews from customers of Malone tuning. I live in Michigan and there are no dealers close to me. I also work seven days and don't really have time to drive the distance to the closest dealer (250 miles). My question is: can I just buy the Flashzilla loader and the tune, connect it to the OBDII port and I will be done (considering I will stay with a stage that doesn't need any physical upgrades to the car), or regardless of the stage I choose, I will need to take the car to one of the tuning dealers? Do I also need a DSG tuning? Also please advise me regarding the best stage for my 2006 Jetta DSG. Thank you very much in advance!

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
If you are far from installer,get you a digi,or PSI tunning box,car will have same performance as chip car,and you can remove and sell box if you ever sell car.Those two boxes are the only ones that are recommended and am sure you will like.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I had the digi on my 2006 Jetta for a while and it was no where near the same performance as the Rocketchip tune I had later. No issues with the digi itself but they aren't performance equal.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
depends on what setting you have on box,one advantage of the box is that you can tune for your liking,more power,or less power,it depends on individual.Plus you can remove box if warranty work is needed.Only PSI and DIGI are true tunning boxes,rest are junk.Benefit of tune is that you can get other upgrades and car can be tuned for that.If you want one upgrade,then box is beneficial and you wont be disappointed.It all depends what your plans are.Also you can find a used box cheaper than you would pay for tune.ust make sure you get the Digi or PSI,you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Pretty sure he won't need to worry about warrenty work on his '06... Get a Flashzilla and a VCDS cable. The Flashzilla will work just like you said in the OP, use it to flash in the new tune and use VCDS to log ECU channels and verify everything is good with the tune. You can go straight through Malone or one of his dealers for the 'zilla and tunes.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Thank you fellow club members for advice. I think I will stay with Malone, I'm going on the website right now to order the Flashzilla.
Have a great weekend!