Before and After the 2015 fix results. Comparing my 5 TDI's with each other.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Hello folks.
I just purchased 3 2015 "fixed" VW tdis. A Beetle Convertible, A Golf Sportwagen and a Passat.

I also own 2 of the non-fixed models that we are in the process of selling back to VW. A 2011 and a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen and should have them for a few more weeks.

My house looks like a VW dealership, even more so when the inlaws come over in their Tiguan. Anyway.. until I get the existing ones sold back, I thought I'd compare the fixed and non-fixed models.

First, the fixed models have a sticker on the underside of the hood showing the dates, dealership and dealership code that did the repair. Mine were all done from 4-13 to 4-17/2017.

I was curious about differences in performance and fuel economy (if any) between the fixed and the non-fixed versions of this engine, and because with 5 vehicles, I think I have a fairly large enough sample to make a decent comparison between them.

First, all my cars are bone stock. Unmodified in any way.
Secondly, as the only driver of my 2013 and so far the only driver of the Beetle and Passat, I think my driving habits can be ruled consistent enough for a comparison.

I keep up with mileage, and average 44-45 mpg per tank when I fill up in my 2013 Jetta. I do actual math with the trip odometer, and dont rely on the trip computer, which always seems to show 2 mpg higher than real numbers.

Yesterday, the 3 vehicles were delivered to my house from the dealership 150 miles away.
I used the automaticly generated setting on the The trip computer on the "1" fuel economy box (meaning it was just for that day, from the time the car was first started in the morning until it reached my driveway).
The trip was 95% highway, and included some state highways and secondary roads with long rolling hills, with speedlimits of 65 mph. But I dont know what speeds or how the cars were driven.

The three "new" cars were driven by 3 different drivers so, I didnt expect identical results.

Results on Day 1- 150 miles 3 separate drivers (As indicated by trip computer)
1. Passat (with 372 miles on the odometer) 46.6 mpg with an average speed of 57 mph (computer indicated).
2. Beetle Convertible (478 miles on the odometer) 45.2 mpg
3. Golf Sportwagen (388 miles on the odometer) 47.2 mpg

So, at least on this trip, which took about 3 hours, the cars delivered higher than rated fuel economy. Kind of suprising since the new engines typically improve in mileage as they break in.

Today, I took the Beetle out on a 30 mile drive, and reset the trip computer as I started. I drove the speed limit in town, going stop light to stoplight for 3 miles, then got on the interstate and made a 10 mile journey (with the top down of course). 90 F day. No A/C. and a return trip back home.

During that trip, the trip computer eventually worked its way up to an average of 50.1 mpg before I exited the interstate, did a U-turn and headed back up the same interstate, and on to make the 3 mile city street journey. I got home and it showed 46.2. (lots of traffic lights).

Performance: Hard acceleration
In the Beetle, I noticed no real difference between hard acceleration (full pedal, sport mode) 0-45 than with my Jetta SPortwagen. EXCEPT... And that it *seemed* like right before the gear switched from 2-3 and 3-4 that there was an ever-so-slight delay in fuel delivery right before the gear switched. My wife can't feel it, and I'm not 100% sure it's there, but I sort of felt something. sort of. maybe.

Performance: Normal Driving
None.

It's early, and I know you cant tell after one trip, but I dreaded that "Fix" and thought it would kill my mileage and/or performance.
So far--it hasnt.

I'm pretty well pleased with the fix so far, and hopefully when they do phase 2, it'll remain unchanged.

I'll keep you posted.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Thus has the makings of a good thread. Thanks.

My experience with my new 2015 GSW S DSG

Fuelly tank averages of 44.6 and 43.8 over 2 400+mile tanks. My commute is 27 miles, mostly all freeway and 2 lane 55mph country roads. Perhaps 2-3 miles each way is 35mph surface street.

I am well pleased. I have also noticed how generous the on board computer is. Like 3-4mpg higher on the tank average than fuelly calculation with odometer miles and topped off fills.

I have almost 1500 miles on the car since pickup.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Hello folks.

Performance: Hard acceleration
In the Beetle, I noticed no real difference between hard acceleration (full pedal, sport mode) 0-45 than with my Jetta SPortwagen. EXCEPT... And that it *seemed* like right before the gear switched from 2-3 and 3-4 that there was an ever-so-slight delay in fuel delivery right before the gear switched. My wife can't feel it, and I'm not 100% sure it's there, but I sort of felt something. sort of. maybe.

Performance: Normal Driving
None.

It's early, and I know you cant tell after one trip, but I dreaded that "Fix" and thought it would kill my mileage and/or performance.
So far--it hasnt.

I'm pretty well pleased with the fix so far, and hopefully when they do phase 2, it'll remain unchanged.

I'll keep you posted.
I just bought a "fixed" 2015 Jetta with DSG and notice the same lag, especially under light throttle 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. It feels like fuel cut-off during the shift, which gives a mushy feel. My 2011 Jetta (waiting turn in) has a much crisper, better feeling upshift.
Also, I detect a slight engine flare on the same shifts. The tach briefly jumps 30-40 RPM at the start of the shift. Reminds me of an old worn-out Hydramatic or C4. Back to the dealer, I guess.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
49mpg avg 99% highway (not fixed yet) is what we are seeing on our sportswagen dsg so far since 07/2015

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Thanks for the comparison, one thing to note is that you are also comparing two different engine family's too. So you're not really comparing before fix and after fix of the EA288 but more of older dirty engine systems and new "approved engines". CJAA is a completely different beast than the EA288.

When I drove our "fixed" 2015 Passat, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary compared to either the Jetta or the 2012 Passat. I did notice the DSG seemed faster shifting. I keep asking the wife if she's noticed anything different, as its her daily driver, and she hasn't noticed anything making her regret the purchase.

Last edited:

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Update: Golf Sportwagen

I realize one trip doesn't mean anything, but my wife has a 38 mile daily commute to her work from home. Mostly flat roads, some hills, a 1800 ft mountain to climb and coast down. 65 mph pretty much the entire way. She's driven her 2011 Jetta Sportwagen daily since new on this same trek, so Im sure she's had time to be consistent with her TDI driving habits.

Today she sent a picture when she arrived at work of her trip
, its a solid 43.6 US mpg!!! On a new engine with less than 500 miles on it. For comparison, her 2011 JSW with 17" wheels averaged 41.4 over the past year. And again, it is the trip computer, so there is a bit of error. When I fill up I'll do the math.
It's encouraging to say the least. But, to say the least, It doesn't look like there are any negative effects of the fix.

Last edited:

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
What kind of speeds are your highway miles at? I do worse on the the highway because i go 70-80 here in CA.
65-68mpg, also the highway traffic is always light, i have seen numbers as high as 62mpg on the car computer, but hand calculation is always 48 to 51mpg.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
Are these cars properly broken in yet? After the diesel break in procedure the milage improves.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
^ Thanks! If i drove that slow i could probably get that milage too.
I get that kind of mpg with the cruise set to 73+... sometime going 80+ with the AC on driving opposite of traffic in rush hour traffic!!
43-50 mpg is not uncommon for a full tank with the DSG on 2015 Jetta cars...bet the golf is similar, if not slightly lower (no grill shutters).

Douglas C49J old

TDI
2004 Golf, 2015 Golf Wagen
Picking up Golf SW in 2 weeks

:) Sounds like great news as I was concerned about 'post fix' mpg and I don't pick up my 'new' 2015 Golf SW (Manual) for 2 weeks. Dealer said only 'fix' was a reflash of the computer - that is it - plus a checklist from VW to 'awaken' the cars including a new battery and oil/filter change. These cars were snatched up as fast as I could call on them!

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Wife's first day driving the 2015 GSW. 38 miles each way.
To work: 43.6 mpg
Home: 46.4 mpg

Not sure of the reason for the variation, maybe it's more uphill one way, or maybe she was rushing a bit more to go to work than return home. Still, it's encouraging to see higher than window sticker MPG numbers.