A letter to VW and others

anoldbaldman

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Here is a copy of a letter that I sent to VW Corp, BBB and the dealer that worked on our car. Still waiting for a response from them.

8-1-07​
On a recent trip to Albany to see her mother in the hospital, my wife noticed that the alternator light came on. She continued to the hospital parking the car and then gave me a call explaining what was going on. I told her to leave it there and catch a ride home with her dad. The next day I went to Albany and had a look at the car. When I started it there was a loud noise coming from the engine compartment. It was coming from the alternator area. I called our insurance company and had it towed to the VW dealership in Corvallis. I came home and did some research on some TDI forums. It seems that there are a lot of these cars that have alternator problems at around 70-75k miles. Our car has 76k on it. When the service department called me they said that our car needed a new alternator. I asked him how he knew that, and he replied “because it is making a noise”. I asked him if they checked out the pulley as it seams to be the main problem with these cars. I explained that it is not a normal pulley and has a one-way clutch in it. He called me back a few hours later and said that the pulley was bad but the alternator was still bad. I asked why and he told me that the “brushes were worn”. It took at least a week for the alternator to come in, and when my wife called to check the status of the car, they said the alternator was coming in that day and she could pick it up around 4pm. Apparently the alternator did NOT come with the pulley and it had to be ordered. The pulley was going to be another 4-5 days and cost extra. Total cost is now up over $650 dollars. I told them to lock the keys in the car and I would come over and pick it up after work.​

Pulley.​
I called the VW dealer in Salem and ordered just the pulley. It was at my house in three days at a cost of $105 including shipping. And they sent me the correct part. I had to wait another week for the special tool to remove the pulley at a cost of $50. I pulled the fan off and removed the pulley from the car. I went down to a Alternator replace business in Sweet Home and had the pulley replaced. When he was done, I asked him to check the brushes as the VW mechanic said they were worn. Nick pulled them out and they were almost brand new. They were only worn about half way across the face of the brush. A long way from being worn out. I put the alternator back on the car and it is just like new.

Oil changes.
I have had my oil changed by your service department three different times since I have owned it. One time last year, one in January and the latest in June. The sticker in the window and the last two invoices say that they put Castrol Syntec oil in the car. Castrol Syntec is a 505.00 oil. This car REQUIRES 505.01 oil. I called the service department and questioned it, and was assured by Joe that they used 505.01 oil. But if the window sticker and both invoices state that the wrong oil was used, who am I going to believe? This is not a small thing. The owners manual states that using anything other than 505.01 oil can cause serious and extensive damage to the vehicle.
Not knowing who to trust, I purchased the correct oil and filter from the Eugene VW dealership, and am in the process of changing it. I am also waiting for an oil sample kit to have the old oil tested.

Why did they have our car for two weeks and could not get it fixed?
Why did they want to replace the alternator when it only needed the pulley?
Why could they not find the part when I had one in two days from another dealer?
Why didn't they offer a loaner vehicle knowing that we lived so far away?
Why do the invoices and window sticker say that the wrong oil was used?
Why do I have to pay for a new oil change because we are not sure if it is correct?

To sum it up, we had our vehicle towed to the VW dealer for a very simple repair. What we received was something very different.

A copy of this letter is going to the Better Business Bureau and another going directly to Volkswagen. You guys will never work on my car again. The repair should not have been more that $150 including labor, yet you wanted to take advantage of me.

Jack Scoville
900 NW 4th Street
Corvallis, OR 97330
1-541-753-1694

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
Good for you! More people should write letters when the stealerships try to throw parts at problems at enormous cost to the consumer. I would definately get the oil analyzed and documented. When you get the results back, write another letter.

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
Interesting, I never had a problem when they changed my oil on my '06 Jetta however my window sticker said they had used 505.01.

We purchased our '07 Rabbit from them and we thought they were a lot better than Dick Hannah Volks in Vancouver (where I purchased my Jetta).

I will say though that the time that I spent sitting in their service department listening to the calls to owners diagnosing their volkswagons, when they were told what repairs were needed, they were always excessive and seemed rediculous for the problems that they had said they found with the cars. Jack Scoville never seems to be a very busy dealership, I wonder if they are performing unnecessary repairs in order to keep their head above water?

Way to go on the letter though, you definetly set a precedent that I want to follow when dealing with Volks service departments.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Sounds like my 2008.88 Axle from mofitt VW in bossier city.

Excelent letter... I always thought the alternator didn't have brushes or a commutator... guess I was wrong...

John C

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001 Glactic Blue Peral - SOLD
Alternators have brushes and 'slip rings'. These are continuous loops, unlike commutators that are segmented. Brushes on slip rings can run a long time ;) .

John C

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
FWIW, the brushes and voltage regulator are easily replaced, they are a seperate screw on unit on the back of the alt.

-Jason

anoldbaldman

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Well, Volkswagen called me today to confirm the info in the letter. We spent about 15 minutes talking about both the alternator and oil issues. I now have a case number and they will be contacting the local dealer to get their side of the story. She asked me if I would mind if the service manager contacted me on this issue. I told her that I did not want him to call me but I would accept a call from the owner of the dealership. Waiting for round 2.

dccommuter

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 2 TDI
My Experience at the Stealership.....

A couple of months back I lost turbo boost on my 04 Jetta and took it to my local dealership. After a couple of days, the verdict was a blown turbo and $2200 to fix. I said "close it up, I'm picking it up tonite". So I started an internet search, found TDI Club and to make a long story short, discovered with help from the club that the true problem was a vacuum line that had rubbed against the exhaust manifold and had a hole burned in it. $3.00 of new line later, my car was good as new.

Never one to turn down a good opportunity like this, I showed up at the dealership unannounced with old hose and receipt for diagnostic time in-hand. Again, long story short - it took about 15 minutes of stammering, studdering, apologizing, and assuring me that I would not have been billed for a new turbo once they discovered the real problem before the Service Manager finally decided that he was going to offer to refund my money. He asked me if would like a shop credit, which I politely declined as I'm never going back. I took cash and left him with the hose!

On a different note, 2 weeks ago I traded that car on what I believe was the last new 06 Jetta Pkg 2 on the East Coast (yes, different dealership). What a sweet ride! :D

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
My Thoughts

If VW of America wanted to sell cars, they could just fire about half of the dealers, and make a large donation to tdiclub.com

Funny thing is, if you go over to VWVortex (a good resource as well) they frequently link over to TDIClub.com for non-tdi issues that are covered here.

VW Dealerships here in the states give VW a bad name. Furhter, only select dealerships shhould be allowed to sell the TDIs - the ones that also have good service technicians...

Heck - I am scared to even take my car in for a Brake Light Switch Recall.

Walt

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Spokane Walt said:
Heck - I am scared to even take my car in for a Brake Light Switch Recall.
That's where I'm at... besides I've already replaced the switch.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Good job. You don't actually think you'll change anything though, do you?

"Mr. Jacoby, it's come to our attention that our dealerships are improperly diagnosing cars, in many cases just throwing parts at it. This costs our customers lots of money, and many of them will never come back to Volkswagen or own one again. This happens on both TDI and non-TDI related issues. We must stop this at once!"

"I competely agree, this is unacceptable! I will put an end to this at once!"

alphaseinor

TDI
The letter VW should be sending out, but never will

Thank you [CUSTOMER_F] [CUSTOMER_L] for your reply

Your [PROBLEMS] has/have been addressed and all of the Technicians, Management, Ownership responsible will now go through a communist style "re-education" program. If you have a problem with him/her in the future, they will be executed for crimes against Heir Claassen and future problems with the new CEO.

All of your labor charges will be refunded to you within the next 90 days.

Danke,

"Utz"

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
had an 03 beetle gls tdi towed from Lake Charles LA to Houston TX, car would not run when outside temp hot. VW towed it to a local dealership who diagnosed a bad IP after changing the fuel filter. I went to the parts counter bought relay 109, installed it in their driveway and drove home, they offered me a job.

oilcan_boyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited TDI
My golf started showing symptoms of a bad thermostat...always staying cold, etc. I took it to the dealer because it was under warranty and told them to fix it. Turns out it was a bad thermostat. Also, it turns out the thermostat is not covered under the engine warranty. The total bill was about $235. They charged 1.1 hours for labor. I was shocked.
Six months later the same thing started again. This time I did some research on the forum and found out you should replace the plastic neck also. So, I bought the parts and replaced it myself this time. Turns out the tech at the dealer didn't replace the plastic neck. one of the nipples broke off and got wedged in the thermostat. I took te evidence to the dealer and the service manager refunded my money.
By the way, it only took about fifteen minutes to replace. Not anywhere near 1.1 hours.
The service rep tried to make it sound like they were such a pain to replace and he was cutting me a break on the labor.
I have not been back since except to buy parts from the nice parts guy who gives me a wholesale discount.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Go Bald Guy! State facts clearly and name names, an unbeatable combo. Hope you get what you want from VW, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Good luck.

anoldbaldman

TDI
04 Passat TDI
I received a call from VW today. A guy named Jeff called to tell me that he spoke to Craig [service manage] from the dealership. Craig assured him that 505.01 oil was used even though the invoices and window sticker say otherwise. I informed him that I was taking an oil sample and would have it analized. He told me that he would do the same thing if it was his vehicle. I do have all the receipts if anything should happen. Ha!

I also asked him about the dealers descision to replace the alternator. VW and the dealer are standing behind their descision to replace it. I asked him about the flat out lie of needing new brushes. Again, VW is standing behind the dealer and the dealer is standing behind their descision.

It does make you wonder how these dealers stay in business with the lousy calls they make.

mam0032

TDI
two 03' Golf tdi's
Hmm, I just took my 03' golf in for a noise, they said it was the belt tensioner, and it wasn't covered by the extended warranty, $250. I remembered reading some stuff about the alternator pulley (my car has 77,000 miles) and wondered if the tensionor thing was a load of crap. Low and behold, they replaced the tensioner, and "now that the belt is good and tight, the alternator is making noise", that was covered under my warranty so I said go ahead and do it. Those guys are idiots! Either that or soulless, maybe both. Soulless idiots. Hmm.

anoldbaldman

TDI
04 Passat TDI
mam0032 said:
Hmm, I just took my 03' golf in for a noise, they said it was the belt tensioner, and it wasn't covered by the extended warranty, $250. I remembered reading some stuff about the alternator pulley (my car has 77,000 miles) and wondered if the tensionor thing was a load of crap. Low and behold, they replaced the tensioner, and "now that the belt is good and tight, the alternator is making noise", that was covered under my warranty so I said go ahead and do it. Those guys are idiots! Either that or soulless, maybe both. Soulless idiots. Hmm.
Are you getting a refund for the tensioner?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Did you keep the tensioner? They should have given you the old one if you paid for the new one. Warentee is something else, but you purchased the old part, you purchased the new part, you should have posession of both.

(Warentee they're trading you new for old - you just own one).

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
While it may not be right, dealership service departments make big money by selling parts. They don't want to do little repairs like replace brushes because there isn't a big margin in something like that.

Also, dealerships are not employees of the manufacturers. They're franchises. They're goal is selling as many vehicles as possible and doing as little warranty work as possible.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
MayorDJQ said:
and doing as little warranty work as possible.
I thought that the warranty work was a money maker for them - which is why they just follow the instructions and "replace, since we can't test" parts per the flow chart. Doesn't VW reimburse them for this? I thought that's how they made a bunch of their money.

mam0032

TDI
two 03' Golf tdi's
rdkern said:
Did you keep the tensioner? They should have given you the old one if you paid for the new one. Warentee is something else, but you purchased the old part, you purchased the new part, you should have posession of both.

(Warentee they're trading you new for old - you just own one).

No, I didn't get the old part, and I didn't ask for it. It's one of those shoulda, coulda, woulda situations at this point. Lesson learned.

alphaseinor

TDI
PM me with which dealer did that... I'm keeping score on who not to go to here in the metroplex...

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I've not personally had any problems with the dealers yet, but then again, I've only owned my TDI for 3 months. I am worried however though, the guy I bought the car from (2002 Golf) gave me all of the original service records which show that Castrol Syntec was used for all of the oil changes up to 60k miles. I changed the oil as soon as I bought it, and I'm very soon going to install an AmsOil bypass filter kit. I only hope that the improper oil use hasn't caused any serious engine damage.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Castol Syntec 5w40 is fine is fine for that year, as it is 505.00 oil. 5w30 is not though.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
You may have had better luck e-mailing VWAG. I wonder if the Audi dealerships would do a better job, and if they would do warranty work?