Looking for Bentley service manual MK4 PDF

mobrien

TDI
95 toyota pickup alh swap
Hi all,
I'm looking for a PDF copy of the Bentley MK4 service manual. I've done a fair amount of digging and found some download links, but they're all dead or have been DMCA'd. If anyone has a PDF copy of the manual they could send me, I'd like to put a torrent up so people will be able to find it in the future.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't think you'll find that. Bentley must police the webs. Haven't even heard of other publishers but there might be something somewhere. Also have never seen the Bentley software Service Manual on any of the pirate sites. For cheap, library is your best bet.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
I have one somewhere I think on one of my drives but I don't know if I'm breaking rules if I upload and give a link.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I don't think it'd be breaking rules as long as the forum is used to move the data in question

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have in the past printed sections from my fully owned saucewher. I always use PM or email and take it off the forum. Cause like Vince says, we don't support illegal software use and it's all copyrighted. Never heard of anyone getting busted for posting sections from the Bentley.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's theft of copyrighted intellectual property, plain and simple.

Professional writers earn their living writing technical manuals, and Bentley earns their living hiring writers and publishing technical manuals.

If someone could turn whatever *you* do to put bread on the table into a pdf and spread it around the internet for free y'all would be fine with that too?

And before someone says "Well, it's too expensive" and/or "I can't afford it right now" let me double-dog dare you to try that line as you make your way out the Best Buy door with a 60" TV. :rolleyes: :) :)

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, meant forum rules not the legality of it...

And it's a 65 inch TV and sound bar

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It's theft of copyrighted intellectual property, plain and simple.

Professional writers earn their living writing technical manuals, and Bentley earns their living hiring writers and publishing technical manuals.

If someone could turn whatever *you* do to put bread on the table into a pdf and spread it around the internet for free y'all would be fine with that too?

And before someone says "Well, it's too expensive" and/or "I can't afford it right now" let me double-dog dare you to try that line as you make your way out the Best Buy door with a 60" TV. :rolleyes: :) :)
There's a huge difference between needing to know some specific information on a car you already paid for and walking out with a television.
I understand where you are coming from, however, VW engineers and drafters wrote the Bentley and the proceedures for their mechanics.
The flip side is it's not any more expensive than a text book.

This is where you can get the PDF file of the Bentley, if you pay for the subscription and download the information you need for your car it's much less expensive than a textbook.W
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I'd send all 1984 pages to your email if I had it. I found it somewhere on the web and downloaded it free. It takes so long to load whatever section one might be interested in that it'd be better to print it. Well at 5 cents a page, its cheaper to buy the hard cover manuals. So I've never even used the online version. I wish you the best.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I also recommend buying the paper version. I have the PDF version, but I find using the paper version is better because it's a big book you can leave open and reference when you work on your car.

Also, I like to flip through the different sections to learn about the other parts of the car I don't need to work on at that moment. I learn and understand more when I review the information several times, over time.

Just buy the book. It's about $129. You will save at least ten times that amount by using the info it provides.

https://www.idparts.com/bentley-rep...kiv-jetta-golf-volume-hardcover-a4-p-301.html

The other alternative is to search the web for DIY's. I find many times the DIY's posted by dedicated members are better, with better explanation and pictures, than the Bentley manual. I don't think I would even attempt to do the timing belt job myself without all the great DIY's I've found on the forums.

Last edited:

mobrien

TDI
Thanks for the help everyone, I have been given a working link. I'm going to seed it and upload a .torrent to a large tracker sometime this weekend. I can certainly appreciate having a physical book, and I still may pick one up if the PDF doesn't work out for me. However, the PDF copy does have a few benefits over having a physical book, such as searching and having multiple pages open at once.

I understand some people have certain reservations about piracy, but I see it this way: Piracy is not theft. Most of what I would pay for the physical book goes into the pockets of a CEO that makes hundreds of times more than the people who actually wrote the book. The people who wrote the book will be paid their wages regardless of whether or not I purchase the book. If you think piracy is theft, consider it an easy way to steal from the rich to give to the poor. You aren't stealing from the people who wrote the book, you're stealing from the CEO of the company that published the book and pays their employees a fraction of what their time is actually worth.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Thanks for the help everyone, I have been given a working link. I'm going to seed it and upload a .torrent to a large tracker sometime this weekend. I can certainly appreciate having a physical book, and I still may pick one up if the PDF doesn't work out for me. However, the PDF copy does have a few benefits over having a physical book, such as searching and having multiple pages open at once.
I understand some people have certain reservations about piracy, but I see it this way: Piracy is not theft. Most of what I would pay for the physical book goes into the pockets of a CEO that makes hundreds of times more than the people who actually wrote the book. The people who wrote the book will be paid their wages regardless of whether or not I purchase the book. If you think piracy is theft, consider it an easy way to steal from the rich to give to the poor. You aren't stealing from the people who wrote the book, you're stealing from the CEO of the company that published the book and pays their employees a fraction of what their time is actually worth.
Nice work Robin Hood

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you think piracy is theft, consider it an easy way to steal from the rich to give to the poor. You aren't stealing from the people who wrote the book, you're stealing from the CEO of the company that published the book and pays their employees a fraction of what their time is actually worth.
I know I'm just wizzing in the wind here, but IMHO this is a ridiculous justification... and even *you* know it's ridiculous, because
you know telling Best Buy "I'm Robin Hood and I'm not actually stealing this TV; the president of LG is too rich and doesn't pay his workers that assemble the TV enough" would never work, other than to give them a good laugh as they call the cops. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

/fini

Last edited:

mobrien

TDI
Difference there is that copying a file costs about $0, while a TV has material costs. Would I steal a TV? No. Would I 'steal' an exact copy of a TV that required no materials and 5 seconds of time to copy while leaving the original one there? Absolutely.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's considered theft because of weird rules dealing with intellectual property, agree or disagree that's what it is. It's more like stealing cable TV...since broadband and Netflix and Hulu cable TV is slowly becoming obsolete just as the manuals are along with the cars that they cover.

Over time there should be a point in which the cost takes a nose dive because dealerships and serious repair shops rarely work on these cars and moreso they probably have had the manual for a decade or more, it's just enthusiast support buying them now

There is great info in the manual and I understand physical copies cost money to make and ship and store. The PDF shouldn't cost as much as it does simple as that, not considering the age and knowledge that's on forums such as this.

How much difference is it than when people quote the Bentley manual to those if us that don't have a copy.

Just playing devil's advocate...

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The other alternative is to search the web for DIY's. I find many times the DIY's posted by dedicated members are better, with better explanation and pictures, than the Bentley manual. I don't think I would even attempt to do the timing belt job myself without all the great DIY's I've found on the forums.
This is my preferred, I just swapped an engine with nothing but information from mostly this forum and a couple others.
Ended up authoring a thread myself, this is how the forum supports open source, community authoring. A large part of what makes this place so great!
I bought a specifications poster from IDParts for the most common torques and pretty much wing it with preferably a good write-up.
Searching diagram after diagram is much more frustrating than sticking a pin in the cluster plug and finding continuity in the blue rain tray connector.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
This is my preferred, I just swapped an engine with nothing but information from mostly this forum and a couple others.
Ended up authoring a thread myself, this is how the forum supports open source, community authoring. A large part of what makes this place so great!
I bought a specifications poster from IDParts for the most common torques and pretty much wing it with preferably a good write-up.
Searching diagram after diagram is much more frustrating than sticking a pin in the cluster plug and finding continuity in the blue rain tray connector.

That's what I like about the PDFs straight from VW. They're searchable!