Resurrecting My 2002 ALH Jetta Silver Sedan

cabot

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
My Volkswagen love affair (read constant wallet lightening) started with a 99.5 White 2.0 Golf with an auto. Actually, I never had a bit of trouble out of that thing. I didn't do any kind of aftermarket anything to it, and it didn't lighten my wallet at all. I'd change the oil and the filters and pile on the miles. Then, I fell asleep on the interstate, rear-ended a semi and killed that one in 2004. A couple of years later, I found a Green 2.0 manual 99.5 Golf for basically nothing with 90,000mi not running. I drove all the way to Florida to pick it up. I knew better, but for some reason, I couldn't resist it. It turned out that was just a MAF preventing it from running at that time and that I had a running VW again with minimal work and cost. Once I started driving it, I realized that EVERYTHING was wrong with it. It may have been a flood car. It may have had repaired coolant migration. Hurricane is my best guess. I don't know. I typically had it worked on rather than working on it because it hurt my feelings every time I tried something. I'd worked on antique tractors, a 70's International Scout, lawnmowers, etc but nothing fuel injected--nothing with a computer. My dad taught me to work on stuff, and he was the type of person who didn't want to have to use a manual during a repair. He'd just split a tractor in half, look at what was there and figure it out.

The Green Golf started turning up with missing coolant. I was baffled. This persisted for months, and I could never find a leak. I remembered the comfort I'd taken in being able to keep my own car running back when I had that Scout with the huge motor we'd swapped in it. Something would go wrong, and I'd figure it out myself, and I'd never worry about driving it anywhere--not because it was inherently reliable but because I could fix most anything that went wrong. Anyway, I ultimately found that missing coolant. The oil cap started having the smallest amount of milkshake underneath, and I sold that thing ASAP.
I bought a 1985 Toyota Pickup with the plan that I'd use it to learn about working on EFI and daily drive it until I was financially in the position to turn it into an offroad capable restorationish project deal. You can read that story here if you're interested.

I got a job with a 55 mile commute and was just killing that old truck. It tops out at 55mph because of the gears, and it has 350k. I did some math about mileage and maintenance, and I bought my third MK 4 VW back in the second quarter of 2013. It's a Silver Jetta sedan. It's a 2002 (the year I graduated high school). Something about that not running, musty Silver Jetta--I think mostly the smell--reminded me of an MK1 Jetta diesel that my dad had briefly while I was in high school. I hated that thing then, but I wish I still had it now. This 2002 is automatic, so my girlfriend can drive it too, and it paid for itself in less than a year. I bought it not running, for $1900. I had a good amount of general repair work done to the suspension and brakes, a lot of neglected maintenance done and the timing belt replaced. I forget what all it was exactly. The guys at that place were nice but not quite as particular as I'd like maybe. After that, I just drove it for 50,000 mi with a falling out headliner, a radio that wouldn't shut off when I turned the car off, a cluster that reset every time I turned the car off and a persistent check engine light. I'd change the oil and the filters and hit the highway for another pile of miles. It ate an 01M all at once one day. Everything was fine one minute, then it just starts sounding like I've gone and put a can full of nuts and bolts in a paint shaker. I had that replaced with a used unit at a shop that I can't decide whether to recommend. In retrospect, it would have cost me a lot less to have swapped in a 6 speed from RyanP. I think I'll do that when it inevitably eats this one.

In January of this year, my dad passed away, and I was driving so much. I was in Tennessee, then Georgia, then Mississippi, then Tennessee, then back to Georgia--over and over and over. I was so sick of driving. I asked my girlfriend to drive the Jetta take us to dinner one night. She turned left onto the highway from our neighborhood and straight into a fellow driving a Ford Expedition at well over the speed limit. She said couldn't see him around the curve. I was looking to the right; he was coming from the left. I'm not sure how exactly it happened, but we collided, and his SUV flipped and slid ~200 feet on its roof. He left in an Ambulance, and I was left with a car that looked like this:

This was the third car I've "totaled", but this was the first time that it had been my fault (hers), I and only had liability insurance. I mistakenly let them take it to the impound. I should have had it towed straight to my house. It took me a little while to decide what I was going to do with the car. In the mean time, I purchased a 2010 Sportwagen TDI to drive because the Toyota is in full project mode. It's ripped all apart. I didn't know whether to start buying non running TDIs and start using the parts off of this thing or what. But, ultimately, I realized that I had an out of work friend who does amazing body repair. He needed something to do, so I had him come pick this thing up. He hadn't done much work on a Volkswagen before, so other than straightening sheet metal and straight up removing and replacing things, he wasn't going to be the person to get this thing actually driving reliably. He did source tons of junkyard parts for cheap and he did some really amazing work getting this thing back rolling and looking like a car:

At this point, we realized that we were missing an intercooler. It was just totally disintegrated, or exploded from the crash. No sign of it. He hadn't realized that we were missing that when he did the tear down. I sourced one from Darkside and a MAP. I put it together only to realize that I was missing the connector to the harness for the MAP. I bought a new connector but was unsure of which pins I needed to go in it. I found the correct pins by going to a junkyard and pulling them out of a turbo Passat with a blown motor:

I need to get one of those Paladin open terminal crimp tools and the 2031 and 2033 dies so that I can make good terminal connectins and make use of the great info that I later found on VW terminals from burpod, and graeme86 on here, and from darkscout on the vortex.

Last edited:

cabot

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I've just been reading the debate between solder and terminal connection in the VW wiring harness, and I think that I have a new OCD wiring connection method to try in the future. I made that repair before reading the debate however. At the tattoo shop, we always solder and heatshrink, and everyone on Yotatech seems to prefer soldering. I don't have a pin removal tool yet either, so I took an angle grinder to my old connector until I could de-pin it. I then inserted the wires in my new one and soldered them into the harness:

Then, I drove it down the road under its own power for the first time in months. There was still a ton wrong, but it seemed to drive fine. There was hope!

Then, my body guy friend jumped off a deck chasing a dog, tore his Achilles and the car was sitting. He got antsy and moved it from the shop to his place where he could mess with it in his injured condition. He finished prepping and mostly got done painting it. It still needs to be buffed, but I'll take it. The guy sprayed it sitting in a wheel chair. So, this car is seemingly near completion, and the HPFP goes on the 2010.

cabot

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I rented a car hauler and towed the MK4 home. I figured that I'd get it running in a couple of days and use that until the MK6 was out of the shop. That's not exactly how things went.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I got the car home, started it, backed off the trailer and had really hard steering. I filled up the power steering reservoir and drove around the block. The steering was better, but now I had hard brakes (this turned out to be a split vacuum line going to the brake booster). I looked under the car and discovered a substantial oil leak. This is the second MK4 oil pan I've busted, and I do have a skidplate. It's going to take some welding to get any kind of threaded insert back in the frame to attach the mounts, so that wasn't on yet. (The old oil stains on the concrete are from when my turbo oil line ruptured a while back.)

I also noticed that I had a coolant slow leak from the radiator and power steering fluid dripping from the suction line. It was time to order a new radiator and plenty of coolant from IDParts. Those folks are really helpful. While I was waiting on those parts, I started to clean the car out. Body guy friend had stored all the spare parts inside the car, so everything was covered in grease. My dog had previously shredded the seams in the rear seat. I told him that the sunroof leaked, but he just sat it outside, windows up, paying no attention for the duration of its stay there. There was an inch of standing water in the spare tire area. Everything was growing mold.

I decided that my best course of action was to replace the whole deal. I scored a leather (vinyl) interior from a junkyard. I'm still up in the air as to whether to wire up the seat heaters because these seats may have been part of the seat heater recall. I wish I'd written the VIN from that car down. I might go back just for that purpose. As previously stated, my headliner was shredded, so while I had everything out, I took a crack at recovering my first headliner. I did not remove the A-Pillar covers. I did not properly reinstall the ***** clips on the C-Pillars when I put them back. The leather door panels had some of the little tabs that hold the inserts broken off, maybe one per panel. I hot glued those jokers.

Last edited:

cabot

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
My parts came, and I ripped the whole front clip off to replace the radiator. I'm glad that I found that leak. This thing was trash anyway.

I put all that back together and proceeded to get all my lights going. All the tail lights still worked. All the drivers side bulbs seemed fine except for a mysterious problem with the retrofitted fog light harness that predated the wreck. All the passenger side stuff seemed to be working except the fog and the projector. I have to take a second here to put in a plug for Jeff Rudzinsky or freakwithracket at Midwest Light Creations. I ordered a set of projectors from him when I bought the car. At that time, I didn't know anything about the lighting system wiring, projectors, or HID's. I think I've emailed him like 60 times. He always answers my questions in a timely manner and always helps me get my issues cleared up. To get the projector firing, I had to repin a 9006 connector. I had a hot wire with just a crimped terminal coming from my projector harness and no ground. I did that backwards the first time, and that threw me for a loop. Somehow, the wires from the high and low light on the H4 connection coming out the back of the driver headlight had been switched. Once I got that figured out, I had two firing projectors.

Then, it was on to the fog lights; that was confusing, but now I understand how that wiring works: A relay went out in my fog light system. I sourced a similar relay and installed it. Blown fuse. Check everything, install new fuse, turn car on, blown fuse. New relay rattles now. Try another of the same relay with a new fuse. Blown fuse. Continuity test all wires; check for 12v in all the right places. I was baffled. Then, it dawned on me. The diagram showing a diode and a direction must go opposite the circuit direction. Electrons flow from ground to a battery that has been "charged" by removing electrons. De-pin connector; switch 12v and ground. Boom! Working fog lights. I had sourced relays with the diode configured in the opposite direction of the original.

Last edited:

cabot

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I replaced the P shaped o-ring that is OE and the 73x3mm butyl rubber one identified by mannytranny and runonbeer in this thread. Now, my engine won't look like this over there anymore.

I went and had new tires put on. Three were near the end of their service life, and the fourth was damaged in the wreck. I then drove the car a couple of hundred miles. I hadn't yet tried charging the A/C at this point. I had basically the same problem as described in this thread about the blower motor resistor. I only have fan on "4", and I only have A/C light on the other settings. I continuity tested across the thermal fuse and found continuity. This leads me to believe that my problem lies in the actual resistors, so I sourced a new pack from FCP Euro. That should be in tomorrow.

I've had a persistent check engine light with a glow plug code since I got the car, so I replaced the glow plug harness. I just cut the old one off where it enters the larger bundle of wires and ran the new piece of harness all the way from the connector under the air box, along the OE path but in a separate piece of new conduit for easy replacement in the future. The old one was shredded and had a really bad solder job done to bridge all the wires.

I don't have low speed fan, but I have high speed right from the second I turn the key on. I sourced a Bentley from here, a longer version from the ebahn site over here and worked through DanG144's PDFs. I thought that I had a wiring problem, but after a lot of continuity testing, I believe that the fan control module (FCM) is actually faulty. My car takes the 1J0919506K FCM that talks to the three pin high pressure sensor. Upon pulling it, I discovered the cover held in place by a zip tie. Hrmmm... I ordered a new OEM one here at Europa Parts . It lists for $192, and they have them for $79.

My passenger side projector seems to point straight at the ground, and I can't get it to adjust. Jeff sent me a link to a youtube video that should help me decide whether the problem is with the fit of the repaired car or if it's something internal. Again, I highly recommend that dude!

The hood latch switch or something is causing my alarm not to arm. I don't have a door open deal light. I have the connector coming out of the wiring harness, but the latch that's been installed doesn't seem to have any electronics in it at all. I know that there were at least two different latches. I had to get that little pin for the outside hood pull lever out of the junk yard because I used to have the type with the pin integrated, rather than a hole for the pin to go in. I'm wondering if my car had the switch in the hood latch, and the car the latch came from had it somewhere else. I've been reading a bit, but haven't gotten to the bottom of this. It appears from what I've read so far that it should all be working properly with the thing unplugged as it is. Something is weird.

I've found it really useful having a "build thread" on Yotatech where I can catalog what I've done to my vehicle and basically bookmark information and part numbers that I find useful. I'm going to do that here too if I don't get too much negative response to my boring non-build. Oh yeah... and that cluster/ radio issue... It was a fuse. I'd checked all my fuses before but found one totally missing when comparing my fuse panel to the lists of fuses here and here

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: