New Member, New 2014 Passat TDI SEL

miketheshark

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Been lurking and researching for a while. Title says it all. Picked up a newTDI SEL on Tuesday, platinum grey metallic, black interior. First full day of use, sat in bumper to bumper traffic on the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy for 3 hours with the AC running in 90+ degree heat, and averaged 33.2 mpg (I know, I know but please try to resist reminding me that the info display is not 100% accurate and that I need to sign up for fuelly). By the way, not sure if I looked in the correct place, but it appears my car was built in July 2014.

Only in America can you call a dealer at 3:00 pm to confirm a deal and drive home in the car at 8:00 pm the same day.

Last car was a 2004 Jaguar Xtype AWD. Put 241,000 miles on it, and it is now waiting for my son to turn 16 so he can continue to abuse the odometer. Don't believe anything you have heard about that car. It treated me well for 11 years.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Congrats and welcome. You'll be pleased with the fuel mileage regardless of speed :D

miketheshark

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
1st complaint: Can't decide which is worse, the nav system or the voice activation on the phone. You guys were not kidding. I find myself voice dialing on my Iphone 5s, and letting the car pick up the call.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
I found it easy... once you hear the chime, instead of saying "Call, etc..." simply say the name clearly... i haven't had any issues in 2 weeks since switching to this method...

However, i have had my first freezing experience on the nav system. Went in reverse to back out of the spot, then zoomed away, and the rear camera was frozen on the screen, couldn't even turn off the system or change radio stations. when i arrived at my destination, the radio was still on and playing even after shutting down the car... luckily it auto killed when the key fob was out of range...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
1st complaint: Can't decide which is worse, the nav system or the voice activation on the phone. You guys were not kidding. I find myself voice dialing on my Iphone 5s, and letting the car pick up the call.
I use the MFI to access my phone book and call from the steering wheel controls.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
those x-types weren't great cars, but drove surprisingly well. We had a 2004 x-type 3.0 stick shift in the family for a couple years - best car EVER in the snow (better than a 2013 328i or the 2004 Passat 4mo)

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I agree that the voice commands in the NMS are pitiful. I generally only call one of about a half dozen numbers so the touch screen shortcut buttons are perfect for my needs.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :)

miketheshark

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Updating my initial post. I have been driving the car for a little more than a week, and just under 1000 miles. Overall very happy with the vehicle. Love the platinum grey metallic finish. Drive, ride quality and fuel economy are as expected.
As well documented in other threads, the voice dialing is terrible, and the navigation system is an embarassment. Other than the slow response to inputs, I am happy with the sound quality of the stereo (note that I am not an audiophile).
Having the windows tinted this weekend (Suntek). Will post a long overdue photo then.
Mike