Houston TDI owners

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
How about Saturday, July 2nd for a GTG? I've got Double Points races this weekend and husband wouldn't be in town. But, the next weekend is good for us.

Any suggestions for a location? Maybe something on the north side, close in? That would be fairly convenient for everyone, I would think. Maybe at an Arandas?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
How about Saturday, July 2nd for a GTG? I've got Double Points races this weekend and husband wouldn't be in town. But, the next weekend is good for us.

Any suggestions for a location? Maybe something on the north side, close in? That would be
fairly convenient for everyone, I would think. Maybe at an Arandas?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318071

I am committed to a wedding that day. Maybe later in July? That is also the 4th weekend and many folks will be out of town (or wish they were in a cooler place).

Last edited:

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
RAIN ALL WEEK? I gotta run out and wash all my cars, water my plants, hang my laundry, plan a pool party... I must do all I can to ensure we get some rain.
I know. I probably jinxed it though cause I just cleaned out all the gutters. Sorry.

Thanks for the additional pics! I will definitely have to have the add'l length bars. Think I'll hit a shop that sells racks locally and see what I can figure out before ordering the wrong stuff.

I really want to find racks that leave the front wheel on. I won't have much space in the interior for wheels and BMX racers don't have quick release. I can do it if I have to, but I'm already pressed for time to get two kids ready to race twice a week and hubby's often out of town. I don't need to be reattaching wheels, too.
I know what you mean. Both my brothers run 20mm through axles and taking the wheel off or putting it on requires a work stand. The other has a QR20 fork so if you don't do it just right, you wind up with stiction issues or a rubbing brake rotor. That's why I went with the Highrollers. They handle our 37 lb rigs just fine. Both brothers use Azonic Sabers. I ride a Giant Reign. All three are frame up builds.

Of course, the 2 year old's bike may well not work with any of the styles that leave the wheel on. We'll see. Maybe the claw that grabs the frame....maybe.

Any suggestions for a location? Maybe something on the north side, close in? That would be fairly convenient for everyone, I would think. Maybe at an Arandas?
That weekend won't work for me. I skip town for 4th of July weekend to go to Broken Bow, OK to visit some of my friends. As an alternate suggestion for meeting location, by not do a picnic style event at Deusen Park? Everybody can bring something and we hang around, munch, look at and talk about the cars, or whatever.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know where Deusen Park is, but I like your suggestion much better. And, yes, I wrote July 2 without even thinking about it being Independence Weekend. Oops.

The 9/10 weekend should be okay, too, hopefully.

I've never hosted a GTG before, so I'm not sure what is involved. But if somebody will tell me what's expected, I'll get to work. :)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I don't know where Deusen Park is, but I like your suggestion much better. And, yes, I wrote July 2 without even thinking about it being Independence Weekend. Oops.

I've never hosted a GTG before, so I'm not sure what is involved. But if somebody will tell me what's expected, I'll get to work. :)
http://www.co.harris.tx.us/comm_lee/PDeussen/

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL

Great !! Duessen is a good idea, but it will be pretty busy on a weekend ? and shade will be at a premium.

Hosting is easy, sorry I didn't mean to make it sound hard. It gets harder if you host at your house/shop, as then everyone decides they want to work on cars and before you know it people are digging into major work with minimal equipment.
I think a public park meeting would be great, stops all the desire to work on things. And everyone has to be self-sufficient for drinks/food etc, so you don't end up feeding the hoards either !

I am in.. 9th would be better for me, and I would vote for morning (like 9am or 10am ?) as it will at least start a lot cooler.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Great !! Duessen is a good idea, but it will be pretty busy on a weekend ? and shade will be at a premium.

Hosting is easy, sorry I didn't mean to make it sound hard. It gets harder if you host at your house/shop, as then everyone decides they want to work on cars and before you know it people are digging into major work with minimal equipment.
I think a public park meeting would be great, stops all the desire to work on things. And everyone has to be self-sufficient for drinks/food etc, so you don't end up feeding the hoards either !

I am in.. 9th would be better for me, and I would vote for morning (like 9am or 10am ?) as it will at least start a lot cooler.
If we do it that early, I'd suggest skipping the food, or maybe just snacks, and then after the get together whoever wants to go on a cruise, I think go up by back roads to Conroe and hit up Papa's on the Lake (http://www.papasonthelake.com/). It's a nice drive, good food, and live music. If anyone knows of another place, we could do that instead, this is just one I happen to know of.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
You're full of good ideas, Toeball. ;)

Sounds great. If I'm lucky, I'll have a new one by then.

jpitt

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Greetings! I live in North Houston (Kingwood area). Anyone have any recommendations on good mechanics?

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, whats the final verdict on the GTG ? are we on for Duessen Park, 10am Sat 9th ??
I have to go to Dallas this weekend at some point, so looking to try to plan out the weekend.. I am on for a few hours of TDI pimping at Duessen on Saturday, but only if we get a few confirmed attendees !

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Ok, whats the final verdict on the GTG ? are we on for Duessen Park, 10am Sat 9th ??
I have to go to Dallas this weekend at some point, so looking to try to plan out the weekend.. I am on for a few hours of TDI pimping at Duessen on Saturday, but only if we get a few confirmed attendees !
Sounds about right. I'll be pulling the rest of the shifter housing out tonight so I can do the welding and machine work this week and have the car rolling in time.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome. I'm in town, so we'll be there. No new JSW yet, but we'll be there in there the ol' 01. :)

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Looks like my JSW won't be making it either. Welder won't have a chance to run beads on my shifter housing until Monday so probably Tuesday or Wednesday before car's running again. I'll still come out though.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to confirm, I will be there at 10am tomorrow (Sat).
Hope I am not the only one ? !! I'll give up and leave by 10:30 if no-one else shows !

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
I can still make it, but will be without a VW. DH took it to work this morning. He forgot I was planning to GTG with you folks.

I guess two or three people and one VW doesn't make much of a GTG. Perhaps we should try again. ?

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Errr, sounds like I will be the only one ?! and I was only going to bring a VW engine (in an Audi).
I guess I am out, not worth driving an hour across Houston for nothing.
Lets try again...

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Lets try this again. Next Saturday at 10 am at Deusen Park. I'll bring my vagcom if anyone wants any tweaks made. If a few people are interested, we can go get some lunch after.