"Fix" done last Monday, Road trip results from Thurs-Sun

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Fix was completed on Monday. Only drove the car about 3 miles home from the dealership, and it was immediately apparent it drove differently. More throttle needed, hanging before shifts, staying in gear longer. Didn't drive it again until Wednesday night going to work (and that was a wash due to an accident and complete gridlock the entire way there). Left thursday morning from work in Fort Wayne IN for southern NJ.

Trip there I was coaxing it as best I could. No A/C, windows up, no cruise, working with any inclines or declines, speed held to 60-65 for 95% of the time. Trip out was 645 miles, and the last 50 was philly highway rush hour. Did some driving on Friday, all highway, no stop and go, again, being VERY mindful of economy. Filled up at 716 miles with 15.124 gallons, BUT, being filled up in NJ this morning, I couldn't pump it myself and the attendant didn't get me topped up all the way. Calculates to 47.34 but I think it could have taken more. Fuel light was NOT on, still had a bit of needle room on the gauge between the needle and red even.

Route taken: 30-71-76-80-322-76 (PA/TPK) through Philly where it turns into 42 in NJ.

Going home today, trip was same route, only backwards, with one spot I took an alternate highway vs. rural detour which made it a little longer. 658 miles when I pulled into my garage and I'm right on hitting the red, 80 to empty showing. Trip home use a little cruise due to some knee pain, A/C was used, had some wind in OH, and speed was mostly 65-70.

Using the GPS in the Nav, crossing PA there were some pretty good elevation swings, but after hitting harrisburg, it was only about 200-300 feet at a time, and once in Ohio leveled out with never more than about a 100 foot elevation change. I figure this tank is only 42-43 MPG.

Using the trip fuel economy average, going out I never got above 49.2 MPG. Coming home, I hit 47.1 early on and that was it. Normally after an hour or two on the highway, before I was easily in the 50's. Just running around my local area (runs up to Michigan, Chicago area, etc.....highway driving locally) I've pushed MANY tanks in excess of 800 miles with a solid mix of city thrown in. Now it seems I'll be lucky to see that with exclusive highway mileage. My normal work commute is mostly highway, but deals with a bit of early drive stop and go traffic going in during the afternoon rush. I'd still normally pull around 700 miles per tank give or take even using the A/C and what not. I absolutely do NOT forsee that happening now.

I don't like accelerating from a stop now. It hangs in gear too long, slow shifts with the flare, and is just irritating to the point that I am using auto stick to upshift during acceleration. My muscle memory is telling me that I'm using FAR more throttle to get it moving, keep it moving, and to maintain speed. I drive with a light foot and when maintaining speed I used to be able to lightly flare the pedal and hold it. Now, if I try that, the car literally tries to decel, I can feel it pitching me forward, and I have to throw heavier on the pedal just to hold speed.

VW and the EPA are NUTS thinking a 1 mpg impact is all that's happening. I have lost a LOT more than that, to the point where I'm questioning if the car was even flashed with the right tune because of it's economy and driving characteristics now. I'm going to look into options for returning to the stock tunes from before or aftermarket tunes and the likelihood of those being looked at if something needs servicing under warranty. I came to expect a certain fuel economy out of the car, and 1MPG would have been acceptable, that's only a less than 20 mile per tank difference. The impact I'm seeing here is more like a ~100 mile per tank difference (if this trip was before I had the fix, I have no doubts that the first tank I'd have coaxed up to close to 900 miles based off of previous partial tank trips I've done), or roughly 5-7 MPG depending on conditions. Yes, it still seems to be meeting the "EPA estimates" for economy of 30/40, but realistically, it's not in the ball park.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Fastbird, I feel your pain on the mpg drop. It would be good to have more Gen 2 owners who have had the fix to chime in to see if your drop is an outlier or the norm. FWIW, I don't think VW will be sympathetic to the mpg loss from 50 + to 47-48 since you are still way over the EPA highway estimate. If I were in your shoes I would consider approaching the dealer that did the fix and emphasize the driveability and shifting issues and have them verify that they gave you the correct software update. I have not noticed any such driveability or shifting issues you have described in my '13 and so far I am getting about the same mileage before and after the fix.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to give it a couple of weeks (tank of fuel) of normal work commute driving to see how it does, if it improves at all, etc. If no change, then I probably will talk to the dealership.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Seems like you're the first one posting disappointing results. I'm curious to see if the cars needs some time/mileage adjustment to settle back down. As an FYI, you are allowed to pump your own diesel in NJ, although you may have to argue with the attendant. The restriction is on gasoline.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems like you're the first one posting disappointing results. I'm curious to see if the cars needs some time/mileage adjustment to settle back down. As an FYI, you are allowed to pump your own diesel in NJ, although you may have to argue with the attendant. The restriction is on gasoline.
That's exactly why I'm giving it a couple weeks. Let it learn my driving again.

As for the bolded part....

SERIOUSLY! I lived in NJ from 01 through 07 and never knew that!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Interesting data. We've been talking with Rocketchip about tunes for the '15s, and have driven one with a tune. On the '15s at least it makes a big difference. I bet it would help on the CKRA, too. At minimum you could get the old pre-fix tune back.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
The DSG can be re-flashed with aftermarket mapping. But it does sound like there is some serious post-warranty modding in my future. I'm not going hot rod this one. (Learned my lesson.) But the emission control crap has got to go. (What with me only driving offroad and all.....)
-mickey

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got a call from VWOA asking me how the car is after the fix stuff was done. I laid it out and the guy found it interesting enough that he's going to look at some stuff, talk to my local dealer, and potentially send me back to the dealer for some investigating. More to come after he calls me back (which he says will be tomorrow).

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'm glad to hear VWoA is being pro-active in making sure the fix is not detrimental to the car's performance. I hope he wasn't just paying you lip service.

You have an opportunity here to set the standard for customer satisfaction with the fix. With great power comes great responsibility.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The OP is just by way of confirming why there's no way we'll go for the fix. There are other reasons, of course, which have been amply discussed in this forum. I'm not stating that I wouldn't do the fix under any circumstances, but there's no way under the sun VW would meet my warranty conditions, specifically a lifetime guarantee (as long as I own the car) on anything even remotely pertaining to emissions, including all sensors, every single bit of SCR hardware, EGR, the whole bit, and obviously every single piece in the exhaust path.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'm not stating that I wouldn't do the fix under any circumstances, but there's no way under the sun VW would meet my warranty conditions, specifically a lifetime guarantee (as long as I own the car) on anything even remotely pertaining to emissions, including all sensors, every single bit of SCR hardware, EGR, the whole bit, and obviously every single piece in the exhaust path.
Just sell your car right before the extended warranty expires. Et voila! Lifetime warranty! :D

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Just sell your car right before the extended warranty expires. Et voila! Lifetime warranty! :D
Or do the buyback next year (which we are doing) and get nearly what we paid for the car new.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Why wouldn't you take a small percentage of the fix money and have the car tuned? Performance and FE will be better than before and you still were compensated. Best of both worlds.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Why wouldn't you take a small percentage of the fix money and have the car tuned? Performance and FE will be better than before and you still were compensated. Best of both worlds.
Because they would invalidate the 4/48 warranty.

VWOA is taking my concerns seriously. Apparently my contact who called yesterday and has followed up with me today is working with engineers going over my concerns, and he's scheduling me into my dealer on Monday (my next availability) in order to troubleshoot and confirm everything is as it should be. I'm actually happy I'm getting the chance to work with VWOA with the issues rather than just band-aiding them with a tune and taking my chances.

For right now, oddly enough, the couple work commute trips I've made, fuel economy hasn't seemed to be affected. The dash info center has told me in the area of 44-45 MPG every single trip so far, which is right on with before. I'm wondering at this point if it's highway economy being affected the most?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VWOA is taking my concerns seriously. Apparently my contact who called yesterday and has followed up with me today is working with engineers going over my concerns, and he's scheduling me into my dealer on Monday (my next availability) in order to troubleshoot and confirm everything is as it should be. I'm actually happy I'm getting the chance to work with VWOA with the issues rather than just band-aiding them with a tune and taking my chances.
For right now, oddly enough, the couple work commute trips I've made, fuel economy hasn't seemed to be affected. The dash info center has told me in the area of 44-45 MPG every single trip so far, which is right on with before. I'm wondering at this point if it's highway economy being affected the most?
I'll be interested to see if the results of their efforts address your issues.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
No noticeable increase in fuel consumption here, wife normally eats 1 tank a week and she is still above 1/2 tank, normally by wed she is right at a half

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
increase in consumption or increase in efficiency?

MPG go up or down? sounds like it went up for you.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Use your warranty coverage!

VWOA is taking my concerns seriously. Apparently my contact who called yesterday and has followed up with me
Sir, take it back! Mine is not showing these problems. The key to all this is you get $6K for your troubles and the stated warranty. To me, that far outweighs the benefit of getting $22k and not having a car I love.

My wife says "I don't notice any change". She is the rightful owner, I'm just the administrator and will get a few miles under my belt before I comment further.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I notice my instant mpg showing way lower in the hills, I used to hyper mile and keep it in the 40's by crawling over the tops of hillls at 10 below the limit, but not I'm in the low 30's no matter what. But again, the tank lasted the entire week exactly like it did before so who knows if its worse or not. Next road trip i'll break out the gps and calculator but honestly I got bigger problems with this damn used 2011 dodge diesel I bought to mess with the Passat right now- vw has NOTHING compared to mopar issues- image pulling a huge travel trailer on vacation and the truck goes into derated limp mode with a drive by wire error that no one knows anything about!

Last edited:

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I notice my instant mpg showing way lower in the hills, I used to hyper mile and keep it in the 40's by crawling over the tops of hillls at 10 below the limit, but not I'm in the low 30's no matter what. But again, the tank lasted the entire week exactly like it did before so who knows if its worse or not. Next road trip i'll break out the gps and calculator but honestly I got bigger problems with this damn used 2011 dodge diesel I bought to mess with the Passat right now- vw has NOTHING compared to mopar issues- image pulling a huge travel trailer on vacation and the truck goes into derated limp mode with a drive by wire error that no one knows anything about!
I know the VW issue is nothing, had a Duramax used to pull a 5th wheel bit of a shock when the ignition would shut off. Hey dealer initially told me it was my tuner and not a vehicle problem. Have since sold that truck and never did get notice about any problems with switch.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Sir, take it back! Mine is not showing these problems. The key to all this is you get $6K for your troubles and the stated warranty. To me, that far outweighs the benefit of getting $22k and not having a car I love.
My wife says "I don't notice any change". She is the rightful owner, I'm just the administrator and will get a few miles under my belt before I comment further.
I agree with Bob. As a Canadian customer I only get 2600$ but am happy with that and am happy to get an extended warrantee on a LOT of stuff. I've yet to have the fix but will go with the majority. I'm sure VWOA did quite a lot of testing to validate the numbers. If I lose a mpg or even two I'm not going to squalk. Let's face it even 2600$ will buy a LOT of DEF/Fuel. In my books VW is taking reasonable steps to make amends. And they have in my books.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
It's being dropped off at the dealer tomorrow morning. My VWOA contact set it up. No idea how long they're going to want to keep it or what they're going to do.

Oddly enough, so far, my work commute mileage looks to be pretty unaffected. Seems that only the straight highway mileage is really suffering.

jd69627

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I just had my fix done about 2 weeks ago. Deifintely the seat inthe pants feel is different. Seems about 10-20% slower and worse economy. Very noticeable difference from 0-20 and accelerating from like 40 to 50 mph. Used to be able to bump the accelerator and the torque would get you moving. Now it is seems lacking in those situations. So far my all around average is about 34 mpg with 1 road trip and 4 days of chicago suburbs driving. I think the 30/40 city/highway is pretty close. But it feels noticeably worse. See how it goes after about 30 days. Prior to fix my avg was around 41 combined. The biggest complaint is drive ability is much worse now.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Well they've had it for two days now with no updates. Working directly with VWOA (the dealership is, I've gotten a short update call to say it's being looked at from VWOA).

I will say that in the 2 weeks I drove the car prior to the fix, towards the end when I got back to my normal work commute, economy was looking to be barely affected to unaffected for my work commute, and driveability was a lot better. Almost like it just took some time to relearn my driving habits. I'm expecting to know something tomorrow though because I told them I need the car back.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up the car today, spoke with both the dealership (who have been great) as well as my VWOA contact.

I was up front and candid in letting them know I almost cancelled the appointment as the mannerisms of the car had VASTLY improved the week I did my normal commuting before last Monday when I dropped it off. But decided to take it in just for a once over.

We were all in agreement that the combination of a fresh computer flash with a short 3 mile trip home, then a gridlocked 25 mile unexpected grind to work, then a long highway stretch of 650 miles each way had a negative influence while everything was relearning. Once I got home from that long road trip and got back to normal driving the car settled down a LOT.

So where we're at currently is we're just going to keep an eye on it, and I'll touch base with the dealership in a couple of weeks and my VWOA rep is going to check in weekly for now. And I'm ok with that. As I said before, by what I've done since I filled up, impact has been negligible. I'm at 200 miles and just past a 1/4 tank of fuel used which should put me around 700 again on a full tank and my normal driving pattern. I have been quite pleased that VWOA even bothered to check in and see how things were. Both they and my dealership have been really great to work with.