Phase 1 done today, June-19-2017

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Took my car in to my dealer for the Phase 1 fix this morning and also an oil change/filter.

Total time elapsed between handing them my key and getting the car back was 90 minutes which included the oil change and also included getting the car washed.

Now my impression is that it may be just a tad slower accelerating from a standstill as I normally drive. I DO NOT drive the car like I stole it. As for noise, I cannot see (hear) any difference.

A few days ago I did an acceleration test from a dead stop to 60 Mph and it was 11 seconds. I have the DSG tranny which does not allow you to rev it up too much from a dead stop with your foot on the brake.

Replicated the same acceleration run at the exact same location under the same weather conditions and it came out to the same 11 seconds 0-60 done with my digital stop watch.

As for some people saying their RPM's have changed?. Comparing it with my ScanGauge II, the before and after Phase 1 is the identical 830 Rpm.

Of course as for the fuel consumption I cannot tell as yet. My fuel consumption over the last 12 months was 52 Mpg Imperial (about 42 Mpg US) or 5.56 L/h. This is derived by keeping a record of every fill up and entering the same into a program I have, not the MFD in the car.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Anybody who reported an rpm change at a given speed does not understand how a DSG or stick works...unless you are in a different gear.
As soon as I read a report like that...I disregard EVERYTHING SAID.
Good to hear you are happy.
My view is that the update is a "non-event" on the gen3 cars....
Not so sure about the gen2 guys, but for the gen3, I can t say I would not have bought the car if it was like it is now on the test drive.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Anybody who reported an rpm change at a given speed does not understand how a DSG or stick works...unless you are in a different gear.
As soon as I read a report like that...I disregard EVERYTHING SAID.
Actually the reference to 830 Rpm is in gear at idle.

Just for curiositys sake I just did a review of my DEF usage. Over one year it comes to US 1 quart per 978 miles converted from 1 liter per 1575 km.

I had heard that the Phase 1 fix may cause more DEF usage. Well I'll see in one year from now.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
They say about 20% more...
So at the prevailing price at truck-stops with pumps that sell it for 3.99 a gallon at the pump, pretty minor.
I did see a coupon for a dealer DEF fill for $49.99!!! That is CRAZY!!

I have always found that the idle speed is slightly different during the "warm-up" as opposed to when it been running a bit. Reality is I keep the AC ON, so if it is a higher rpms, it keeps the AC compressor running a bit harder for better cooling when not moving.
I haven't had a problem, and can cause condensation on the outside of my windows....but I think k that unless a person is a bit OCD the difference in idle speed is a non-event.
Sometimes I actually wonder if some of the complaining is by folks who would be unhappy no matter what...
Sure, it doesn't perform exactly like a 2009, or a 2014...it's got a different engine, different gearing, and while it shares many cosmetic parts, is a different car.

Last edited:

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Def usage

Actually the reference to 830 Rpm is in gear at idle.

Just for curiositys sake I just did a review of my DEF usage. Over one year it comes to US 1 quart per 978 miles converted from 1 liter per 1575 km.

I had heard that the Phase 1 fix may cause more DEF usage. Well I'll see in one year from now.
I got similar DEF/ADBLUE consumption on my DSG NMS PASSAT TDI about 9-9.5 litres per 15000 km service. I do this myself. I will report my DEF/fuel usage after the fix, currently I figure fuel consumption at 4.9 Litres/100 km summer and 5.1 winter based on calculations not on driving display which is low or optimistic. I drive 90-95 % highway at 110 km/hr which btw is 115 indicated on gps. Upon filling it shows a range of up to 1500km per full tank when real world is about 1300 km. That makes some sense to me because more is burnt on each warmup cycle. I do drive 240km with each drive so that minimizes the loss, lots of short trips are less efficient. If I drove 1300km straight I might be able to go 1400km. As far as I can tell there is a 6 (ish) litre reserve at 0 range so I don't worry about taking it down to 0 or below. The most I have ever put into that 70 litre tank is 65 litres and I'm sure the filler neck holds a couple of litres. The fuel filter is clean, clean clean at every 12 month service so I also do NOT worry about running it down to 0 range despite others worries ... drive more worry less!

Last edited: