Material, IC tubes

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
What plastic is the Mk3 TDI intercooler tubing made of? ABS?

Some VW plastic is ABS.

Adding an intercooler to a Mk2 and have a tight place with a sharp bend. Could use the 90° angle from a Mk3 IC tube IF that plastic can be successfully glued and clamped to the rubber hose on the intercooler.

Whatt'ya think?

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you think the glass fiber-reinforced nylon tube could be successfully glued to the inside of a rubber hose? A glue compatible with both materials would be needed…

Thanks for the info!

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I feel like “glue” and “intercooler piping” don’t belong in the same sentence. I suspect you’ll have better luck with metal tubing.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
DO NOT glue anything in the intake path, it leads to horrendous failures. I know someone who smoked a turbo because he decided to glue together a new air box using plastic epoxy. It would be a recipe for disaster for a place that sees heat and oil residue.

I tried years ago to affix a broken ear on one of the inter cooler pipes without success. I sourced a used one and never looked back.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yea, dont glue that, lol, find some replacement parts or make or get a kit from aluminum and silicone couplings.
Even if you wanted it, you cant glue a rubber hose or any flexible hose like that unless it WAS MADE TO DO SO like a flexible PVC pipe or something.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Don't mean to high jack this thread but I have a hole in the inter cool hose that connects to the intake manifold in my 99 1Z jetta and can't seem to find a replacement. For now duct tape is keeping it from getting worse. Any info on a replacement?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Don't mean to high jack this thread but I have a hole in the inter cool hose that connects to the intake manifold in my 99 1Z jetta and can't seem to find a replacement. For now duct tape is keeping it from getting worse. Any info on a replacement?
eBay, Silicone coupling of the right size, you can get them in any length.
But if your looking for a stock replacement, go to a semitruck supply store, talk with the guy and get someone to take you into the back room where all the radiator hoses are, find one that is the same ID and close enough to the same bend, buy it for CRAZY $$$$$$$,
Our VW parts are getting rarer each day.

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
Ré silicone hose: Mongler's right; hose can be obtained in any length. Conflict arises with the diameter. I'm adapting an Audi IC to a Mk2 with an AHU tdi. The IC has 53 mm inlet/outlet; the factory IC pipes for the AHU are 50 mm. This means I must use a curved rubber tube for the Audi IC AND adapt the tube to the 50 mm VW IC pipe.

In this case I'll follow QuickTD's suggestion—use epoxy to form a bead on the glass fiber-reinforced nylon tube, then clamp the tube inside the Audi rubber tube. Won't be beautiful, won't look professional, but it should work.

If it doesn't, I'll have to weld a mighty tight curve.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
DO NOT glue anything in the intake path, it leads to horrendous failures. I know someone who smoked a turbo because he decided to glue together a new air box using plastic epoxy. It would be a recipe for disaster for a place that sees heat and oil residue.

I tried years ago to affix a broken ear on one of the inter cooler pipes without success. I sourced a used one and never looked back.
plastic welding has yielded far stronger air boxes, it was hot glue that let go and took out the turbo, and that was after deleting the mass air flow sensor, as long as that stays intact there is at least a screen to capture any foreign objects before they become F.O.D.

Sounds like I should be putting some of the used intake plumbing I have kept off of mk3s and B4s on the market.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Ré silicone hose: Mongler's right; hose can be obtained in any length. Conflict arises with the diameter. I'm adapting an Audi IC to a Mk2 with an AHU tdi. The IC has 53 mm inlet/outlet; the factory IC pipes for the AHU are 50 mm. This means I must use a curved rubber tube for the Audi IC AND adapt the tube to the 50 mm VW IC pipe.

In this case I'll follow QuickTD's suggestion—use epoxy to form a bead on the glass fiber-reinforced nylon tube, then clamp the tube inside the Audi rubber tube. Won't be beautiful, won't look professional, but it should work.

If it doesn't, I'll have to weld a mighty tight curve.
I think you would have better luck getting a coupler and flaring one end of it (or buying one with a bead) that you then clamp onto both ends of each side.