Help finding this part please

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
Hello all... Ive just been finishing up odds and ends on my b4 and I decided to look at the shift tower that i knew was getting sloppy. The actual bearing goin into trans is good still but i think the actual “relay lever” bolt or pin is loose causing the problems. Ive looked everywhere online and cant seem to find a correct diagram for this 02A trans. I found a pic that I attached from online. The area its loose is the 2 red dots on left side. I thought mabey it was a bolt at first but it appears to be a pin that is mabey just peened over? Anyone have any experience with these? Let me know thank you.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
yea gee about 10 or so years ago my slip-shifting dumb ass 'blew' one, that may be the 'shift assembly'. it was like a $500 for me. a good shop may have a listing for it, and an install.

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
yea gee about 10 or so years ago my slip-shifting dumb ass 'blew' one, that may be the 'shift assembly'. it was like a $500 for me. a good shop may have a listing for it, and an install.
I will end up making my own parts to fix it if need be. Im fine with that. I just cant even find a part number or anyone evdn talking about the pin or how it stays engaged. I like ordering stuff before i take it all apart to minimize downtime.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That pin comes out. I had to hammer mine out, since it was heavily corroded. I don’t remember if there were bushings in there, though.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thinking about it, the pin is part of the plastic part 1J0711256.

-Todd

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
Thinking about it, the pin is part of the plastic part 1J0711256.

-Todd
Initially I thought you were wrong but looking at it more closely i think you might be correct. The plastic piece must be all one puce and there has to be some kind of bushing inside. Hmmmm

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
the relay lever (the part with the pivoting plastic bit) is 1H0711202A
the follower, the part across from the lever, that rises up a bit is 1J0711256

whether either are still available is something i haven't checked yet.

EDIT: just checked and both of these items are still available new from some source.

Steve

Last edited:

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
Ahhhh yes. I see the #49 is in fact all one piece. I think mine broke the long shaft part with the 2 o rings off it and its losing some movement in the weong way and making it difficult to shift. Thank you for the help guys. The awnser was right in fromt of me i guess but I didn’t take it apart yet so i wasn’t seeing how that piece worked.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After driving out the plastic pin, I wrapped some sandpaper around a drill bit and cleaned out the bore, then lubed it up.

Dieselgeek makes a replacement part for the slider part. I’d buy that before buying the entire arm. Never used it, but he makes quality parts.

-Todd

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
personal opinion - gather the needed parts from a MK4 and convert to the newer style - much better and more relaible

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
After driving out the plastic pin, I wrapped some sandpaper around a drill bit and cleaned out the bore, then lubed it up.

Dieselgeek makes a replacement part for the slider part. I’d buy that before buying the entire arm. Never used it, but he makes quality parts.

-Todd
Will do. Thank you for your help! I totally understand it now.