Squirrels Nesting in my Insulator Shield

mattybme

TDI
Jetta
Ok I have a problem with squirrels nesting. Is it safe to tape the edges of the Insulator with some proper tape to stop the little blighters getting in there?

Thanks!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I've never known tape to stop a rodent of any kind, let alone a squirrel. I'd probably pack the area with moth balls or drier sheets, though that's just advice I've heard for rodents, nothing I've done.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Peppermint essential oils work really well. For mice at least, but squirrels aren't much different. Rodents just don't like the peppermint smell in general.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You could just remove the blanket and get some of the adhevise type insulation like dynamat and apply that to the hood. Or go without the insulation, that's what I did.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have had squirrels under my passat hood, I sprinkled rodent repellent (tractor supply $20) on the ground, have a noise making light (tractor supply $18), a battery powered noise maker (amazon $24) and a smell bag that i put under the hood when the car is parked (tractor supply). I hope a multi-prong approach works.

Clarkstom

TDI
2003 Golf
There is info on pestcontrolhacks about mice repellents, I'm sure it will help to deal with squirrels too. As mentioned above, essential oils work fine, also you may look for ultrasonic repellents if don't want to cause any harm to animals. But tape? Won't work here for sure.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’d remove the blanket, even if just for a while, or get a pellet gun.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I have mouse issues in my car and have tried everything; peppermint oil - they nested right in it. Poison - they just didn't eat it. The only thing that is sure to work is sticky traps like these bigger ones that supposedly will work for squirrels: https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/maxcatch-giant-glue-boards

Cruel but the only thing that works...

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Between my kids shooting tree rats with their .22s and the owls and Hawks they stay in check. Tape won't keep them out. Is there a food source? We used to have a bunch eating corn from our hog traps and deer feeders in the backyard. .22 subs work. Tree rats is damn good eating too. Squirrel brains and eggs [emoji23]

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
. Tree rats is damn good eating too. Squirrel brains and eggs [emoji23]

Thanks for that I snorted my coffee!!! That is so funny I’m still laughing. My grandmother used to call squirrels “cute rats”. They’d get in her attic up under her eaves. She hated them.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for that I snorted my coffee!!! That is so funny I’m still laughing. My grandmother used to call squirrels “cute rats”. They’d get in her attic up under her eaves. She hated them.
Did she eat brains and eggs? Good stuff. :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I haven't eaten any as there isn't much left after the .22 hits them in the head. Subsonics and a suppressor barely let you hear the hammer fall. Doesn't even disturb the other vermin much.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't eaten any as there isn't much left after the .22 hits them in the head. Subsonics and a suppressor barely let you hear the hammer fall. Doesn't even disturb the other vermin much.
Henry Golden boy youth model is what my kids use :). Subs work great . Stingers for hogs in the traps, stick it in their ear. What forum am I on? Sorry :)