2013 Polo Bluemotion 1.2 TDI

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Answer: someone that wants a one-of-a-kind car that no one else has that one can only touch during European vacations.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I would hazard a guess that if noticed by someone at the EPA or a savvy cop with an axe to grind, it would get confiscated and crushed in the USA as well.
Would never happen.

Surely no insurance company would touch this? How do you insure it in the US?
I have had foreign, imported cars insured. I have had RHD cars from Japan with funky 11 digit VINs half in Japanese insured. I just called my insurance company and said "here's what it is. Here's what it's worth. Give me a quote".
It was like $60/month I think. Nothing special. They just wanted pictures. But if it was a 17 digit VIN then they just record the VIN and go from there.

Bro -
I didn't have a problem, Progressive insures it now. If I sell you the car, your first call would be to them for insurance. "You did it for him . . ."
Windex -
I am guessing that a rebellious nature isn't a big part of your personality. "The EPA" will never see the car, they are too busy opening coal mines and that kind of thing. "A savvy cop", well, I have taken it to VW dealers and no one bats an eye. Driving around town, no one driving a TDI, for example, has ever looked at me like, "Whazzat thing, dude?" The savvy cop would have to have a real sharp eye to know that anything is different about this car. The word, "Polo" isn't on the car, not on the registration, not on the insurance card. A cop would have to be really savvy to know something isn't quite right. I don't believe this cop exists. I will happily take that risk.
- Rob
Agreed. Never in a million years would anyone even suspect anything funky, much less actually trace any paperwork (which looks legit) to find a fault.
if it was so easy EVERYONE would be doing it.
If it were that easy, I'd have about 10 non-US spec Volkswagens in my driveway already. :p
'if it was that easy'
It is. You give this man $12,000 and park it in your driveway. Done. You just don't like the price.
I think you're overlooking a huge aspect here. OP never said it was hard, but you seem to forget he is *claiming* to be losing ~$18,000 here.
There are lots of things that are very easy to do, but far from profitable. Profit is the preventative element in this case, not difficulty.

I agree with Windex and oil hammer. It's a really cool car and I'd love to have something like that... But for the money required to own it and the risk someone would be taking (because let's face it, it's not legally registered and can get flagged in some way, shape, or form) is not worth the reward
I do wish you luck with finding an owner but it will be very tough given the circumstances
If this car made financial sense for me, I'd be all over it. I love the story behind it, the foreign aspect, and how unique it is. I LOVE IT. I've owned a few imported JDM RHD cars all for these reasons and it's one of the most exhilarating aspects of wheeling and dealing cars I've experienced. I have a feeling OP operates similarly in this respect.
I'm completely unphased by any potential legal aspects. A 17 digit VIN is good enough for me!
As far as I'm concerned, it's legal. It has a USA title. It is located inside the USA. And it's got USA registration and insurance. Good enough for me!

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
If the OP has anywhere near $30K in this car, especially with him saying that shipping cost more than the car by a long shot, he must have had the car shipped over private freight by a Saudi Prince.

RoRo shipping from Japan is about $1,500 for a vehicle considerably larger.

Point being, I think the OP paid a reasonable rate for the car in Spain, paid a reasonable rate for shipping, and is still making money at his current asking price. Getting it to this point, based on the hints he has given in this thread alone, is really simple the way he accomplished it but did take some leg work; regardless, he has it here with a VIN and title and that does count for something.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
If the OP has anywhere near $30K in this car, especially with him saying that shipping cost more than the car by a long shot, he must have had the car shipped over private freight by a Saudi Prince.

RoRo shipping from Japan is about $1,500 for a vehicle considerably larger.

Point being, I think the OP paid a reasonable rate for the car in Spain, paid a reasonable rate for shipping, and is still making money at his current asking price. Getting it to this point, based on the hints he has given in this thread alone, is really simple the way he accomplished it but did take some leg work; regardless, he has it here with a VIN and title and that does count for something.
shipping an item is far different from shipping a car. The paperwork and customers inspections, cargo insurance, etc is much different.
Also, Japan to CA is far different than Europe to Baltimore to delivery to Colorado.

I'm not at all vested in this vehicle, and I have no stake in whatever happens to it, but you can't be so naive to say "it only costs $1500 to teleport this car from Spain to Colorado"
I, too, am somewhat skeptical of $30,000, but I profit at $12k may be doubtful.

EDIT:
Out of my own curiosity, I went to eBay motors of Spain, and did a little bit of research using my broken, elementary spanish knowledge.
It would seem that this equivalent car (~2013, 1.2 TDI BMT w/low miles) would list for ~10-12k EUROS. 1 Euro is ~1.16 USD. Even being a shrewd negotiator, the seller likely has $12k USD simply in the purchase price of the car.
Even if he somehow did not pay fair market value, it would still be worth that much (equivalent) on the open market in Spain.

$12k purchase price + shipping to Baltimore, insurance, customs paperwork, inspection, and delivery to Colorado easily $20k+.
To approach $30k, OP may be rolling in the cost of travel and his Spanish va-cay, but who knows.
I still believe it though.

Last edited:

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
shipping an item is far different from shipping a car. The paperwork and customers inspections, cargo insurance, etc is much different.
Also, Japan to CA is far different than Europe to Baltimore to delivery to Colorado.

I'm not at all vested in this vehicle, and I have no stake in whatever happens to it, but you can't be so naive to say "it only costs $1500 to teleport this car from Spain to Colorado"
I, too, am somewhat skeptical of $30,000, but I profit at $12k may be doubtful.

EDIT:
Out of my own curiosity, I went to eBay motors of Spain, and did a little bit of research using my broken, elementary spanish knowledge.
It would seem that this equivalent car (~2013, 1.2 TDI BMT w/low miles) would list for ~10-12k EUROS. 1 Euro is ~1.16 USD. Even being a shrewd negotiator, the seller likely has $12k USD simply in the purchase price of the car.
Even if he somehow did not pay fair market value, it would still be worth that much (equivalent) on the open market in Spain.

$12k purchase price + shipping to Baltimore, insurance, customs paperwork, inspection, and delivery to Colorado easily $20k+.
To approach $30k, OP may be rolling in the cost of travel and his Spanish va-cay, but who knows.
I still believe it though.
What are you talking about? Shipping an item? I am talking about shipping cars. All in, counting a brokerage fee and all customs/duty/taxes/fees, from Japan would be less than $2500 to the West Coast. Shipping from Europe to the East Coast plus either picking it up or ground transport would be similar. Spain is almost 1500 miles closer to the East Coast than Japan is to the West Coast.... RoRo shipping would be similar and possibly cheaper.

Believe what you want, if he paid $12K for the car he is saying he paid $18K for shipping.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
We need someone to do the magic and bring legally a 2013 Passat Wagon TDI to the US. Now that is going to bring considerable attention to buy and I would bet and some people might be willing to become Montana residents just to be able to keep it :)

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Tikal -

A 2013 Passat Wagon TDI? No problem! Bring in legally? Maybe not so much - but it would be as legal as my Polo is. Moving to MT not required, see my post here #30.

- Rob

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Dammit. I was in Boulder last week. Had I brought my laptop I could have known about this and at least perhaps arranged to see it in person.

(Kicking myself)

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Jerry -

Come on back! I am sure you already know, AL is one of the states in the US without emissions testing. Prospective buyers: Google the other states. If you live in one, it makes a good case for owning the Polo.

- Rob

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Tikal -
A 2013 Passat Wagon TDI? No problem! Bring in legally? Maybe not so much - but it would be as legal as my Polo is. Moving to MT not required, see my post here #30.
- Rob
Ok, I meant to bring it in the same way as the Polo. The only thing is that it would be difficult to disguise a newer Passat wagon as a Jetta or Golf wagon :(

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Tikal -

Well, I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between a Euro and US version. Just de-badge it and drive it!

- Rob

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Jerry -

Come on back! I am sure you already know, AL is one of the states in the US without emissions testing. Prospective buyers: Google the other states. If you live in one, it makes a good case for owning the Polo.

- Rob
West Virginia has no emissions!
Tikal -

Well, I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between a Euro and US version. Just de-badge it and drive it!

- Rob
YUP!

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Jerry -

- Rob

First, Do you have clear/clean title to the vehicle?

Is it a regular title, or a Montana "Bonded Title" ?

I'm most likely going to be in Boulder in December visiting family. If you still have it, I may take a look at it. My wife is shaking her head already, but I admit, even she is intrigued.

Will this be a daily driver? Nope.

A cool collectable- Yes.

EPA not being an issue in non-emission test states, other things are. Registering a purely foreign VIN will raise flags, and calling it a Golf for insurance purposes is merely going to give insurance companies a platform on which to base a non-payment judgement in the event of an accident.

Your best bet is to find a dealership that may want to put one of these in their showroom. Or a city with a very high military population where they'll be shipped overseas to Europe, where such a car is legal.

Some large VW Dealerships that have incredible displays of VW's are Gunther VW In Coconut Creek Florida, which looks like a museum. Maybe they'd entertain a purchase.

Good Luck.

Like I said, If you still have it when I see it, I may be tempted to stop by and maybe add it to my collection.

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Hi, Jerry -

Yes, clean Montana title. Come on up, we'll go for a drive!

For registration, I would avoid all problems and register it in Montana. See my post #30. It is easy - I have three cars with MT registrations. Plates get updated by mail, and there are no emissions inspections in MT. I've never been to MT over this.

I didn't BS my insurer, I told them it was a Polo. The insurance card, however, says "4-door hatchback", not Polo.

- Rob

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
What does this have to do with me?
1) Grey market car in the country outside of "legal" importation
2) Was discovered as such
3) got crushed

Nice car, but quite a bit of money to drive something that would always have me looking over my shoulder.

Question - why the Golf badge instead of a Polo badge?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Sometimes I wonder if the police/whatever law enforcement agency who handles this, intentionally fabricated a story and crushed a car simply to keep up appearances.

In my decade of being an adult, and 12 years of driving experience, wrench experience, standing in lines at the DMV, putting vehicles through inspection, dealing with salvage vehicle inspections to put them back on the road, wheeling and dealing, etc - I can’t fathom any possible way this would happen, under normal circumstances
If you get caught at the port of Baltimore with a Crayola VIN, then that’s to be expected, I guess.

Additionally, I have no idea how the justice system supports this type of cruel and unusual punishment (crushing the car). With every other auto related offense, it works much differently. You are ticketed, and your car is impounded. Under most circumstances, you can pay your car out of impound almost immediately. You also would have several court appearances to argue your guilt, and (if found guilty) be given an ultimatum on what to do with the car. I have a hard time swallowing that it is a ‘crush only’ ordeal as opposed to being given options of “export it immediately, donate it to a museum, or we crush it.”
But, maybe when I gave $20k disposable income in a few years, I can find out for myself. I’m rather curious at this point. With my luck, I’d probably not get caught for 10, 20, 30 years if ever...

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
See, here's where we agree... I think that there are a million things a government could be doing more valuable than searching out oddball (and cool) grey market cars.

I suspect you are correct - it was an effort to keep up appearances and justify their existence.

Challenge is that purchasing your car entails the same requirement - always wondering if purchasing this Polo will entail the same (very low chance) catastrophic result of being crushed - hence purposefully going under the radar with the Golf badge.

On the lighter side - how many miles have you put on it, and what has the average fuel economy been?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Don't kid yourself about having your illegally imported car crushed. It can and does happen. Maybe only to a small percentage of illegally imported cars, but it is real. ReVINs are quite common on Minis. Back when the economy was humming along lots of new and nearly new Minis were streaming into this country as older cars. It's really simple on a Mini, just get a logbook and VIN plate from an older car, swap the VIN plate (2 pop rivets) and there you have it, one 25+ year old Mini that looks like new! Now, all these cars had valid titles in whatever state they were registered in. Getting your car into the US by whatever means, then obtaining a title doesn't exempt you from meeting US importation and/or EPA/DOT standards. If your car was not imported legally, then it's not legal to be here, regardless of the current state registration or insurance or whatever. It's that simple. The only legal ways I'm aware of are to refit the car to meet US standards or to get an exemption if 25 years old or more. Perhaps there are other ways, but I've never heard of them. I do have a bit of experience in this. I've owned several Minis that were (legally) imported from several different countries. In fact I just bought a 1992 Mini Cooper that was recently imported from Japan under the 25 year rule. Insurance is just like any other car, this one is insured by State Farm just like our VWs. They know exactly what it is and have no issue with it. I would be a bit reluctant to buy a car that didn't come through the normal importation channels. Maybe it's a one in a million chance to get caught, but so is winning the lottery and I read about people doing that all the time.

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Windex
I have put around 1600 miles on the car. It has been mostly around town driving with an occasional highway blast: 45+ mpg. I am dying to take it out on a major highway for 4-6 hours and see "what she'll do".
Bobbie -
Lots of things are not entirely legal in this country. I would like to think that law enforcement has better things to do than hunt down cars like the Polo that put out less emissions than everything stateside that doesn't run on a battery. Maybe you are not a buyer of this! ;)

- Rob

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Tikal -

- Rob
I think I did not explain my previous sentence previously. There has not been a Passat wagon in the US since I think 2008 timeframe so a 2013 Passat wagon shipped from Europe would kind of stand out and it will be difficult to disguise it as a similar year Jetta/Golf wagon in my opinion.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I think I did not explain my previous sentence previously. There has not been a Passat wagon in the US since I think 2008 timeframe so a 2013 Passat wagon shipped from Europe would kind of stand out and it will be difficult to disguise it as a similar year Jetta/Golf wagon in my opinion.
I just can't fathom any situation where this would happen.
We live in a world where husbands forget their wedding anniversary. And you're implying someone (a regular citizen, not a VW design team employee) is gonna see a car driving by and say "HEY HOLD UP! THEY DIDN'T MAKE A PASSAT WAGON IN 2013! THAT'S ILLEGAL!"

Honest to god, I'm a car guy. I really am. And I don't mean 'car guy' in the sense that I get hard over sexy car wash girl commercials and think (and really believe) 'oh yeah, K&N air filter, that's 15hp!'
I mean car guy as in I spend more time reading wikipedia pages and hunting down informative forum posts of car models to learn whatever I can. I spend probably 30-60mins per day browsing CL for a hot deal or something quirky to buy. I wrench on cars - from brake jobs to motor swaps (right now I'm putting an LS1/T56 into a 2001 BMW E46 wagon). I go to the DC Auto Show every year with my best friend (also car guy). We make comments like "LOL finally the mustang comes with a live axle. Only 20 years behind the competition!" while people next to us make comments like 'Damn, them wheels is craaaaazy!'
My best friend's (guy above) dad literally grew up in Detroit in the 60s and 70s. He became a street racing legend in his area, and learned all the tricks in the book. He's literally told us stories of sitting in GT40 shells when he hopped the fence at the local Ford factory as a teen. Some of his stories and tricks just make your jaw drop. He's been pretty much the best mentor I could ever wish for in terms of 'sharpening me up'.
Again, aside from like the top 0.001% of people whose job is literally to know about this type of stuff, and die hard enthusiasts, I'm proud to say I've worked myself pretty far up there in terms of BS detection. I've made it a personal goal to self-educate, and I've put a lot of time and effort into soaking up information and random trivia over the last decade.

If I tried to have this conversation with someone who illegally imported a car, I expect it to go like this.
"Wow. That's a nice car. Haven't seen a Passat wagon in a while. What year is it...?"
Yeah, they are quite uncommon. VW didn't make that many. It's a 2013.
"Waaaaaat??? I could have SWORN VW stopped selling the Passat here after 2008"
Eh, yes and no, but that's a bit of a misunderstanding. They stopped offering it publicly, and the sales numbers dropped dramatically. They stopped advertising it, putting it on the showroom floors, etc, in an effort to limit competition with the newer Audi and Porsche wagons, but you could still technically buy a Passat wagon. It required a bit of behind-the-scenes awareness, and I have a good relationship with my local dealer.
"Oh wow. Cool. Nice score!"

Or
Yeah they did stop making it in 2008, but this is actually a sedan converted to a wagon.
"Whoa. How did that happen...?"
Well, there's a company over in CA who does the conversions. You know, the typical 'ship the car to us, and we do whatever you want.' You see it frequently with the Jeep Wrangler - you know how they make the pickup trucks out of them?
"Oh yeah! Yep. Definitely seen those. All over Instagram lol. That's a pretty penny though, no?"
Well, yeaahhh. But, the wife and I needed a wagon for the dogs, and what were our options, ya know? Sell this, take a loss, and pick up an Audi or Porsche for extra $?? Just to end up having the dogs ruin it? We decided against that, but still wanted something modern and reliable. We're suckers for VW engineering, so it made sense.
"Oh wow. Cool. Nice score!"

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Stream of consciousness posts aside, it would be a model not offered here, and there would always be a risk (like the OP's polo) of enforcement - EPA, DOT, LEO etc.

Small risk, but a real one as with the Crushed Mini above.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Had fun reading this thread. I have a German 1977 280SL that now has odometer and speedometer in miles but all other gauges in metric with German words. The original Michelin spare has all the sidewall lettered in German. It spent 6 months in south Texas getting right with the EPA and import duties, etc. It does not have a VIN, it has an import plate riveted to the drivers door frame. I have owned it for 20 years now.

I have titled it legally in Oklahoma when I lived there and now in Kansas it is titled legally. Neither state could figure out its value before it was considered antique so my tags were stupid cheap. Its a great car to drive, Bosch mechanical fuel injected straight 6 with a 4 speed auto. I have never had an issue getting insurance, I have an agreed value policy with Progressive that is very cheap for full coverage.

When I was in Cabo a couple of years ago I asked an ex-pat why there were so many Montana cars in Baja California - she said Montana is the only state that only cares about the money and could care less where you actually live so all the ex-pats title their cars in Montana because Mexican tag title and registration is so much more expensive.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Had fun reading this thread. I have a German 1977 280SL that now has odometer and speedometer in miles but all other gauges in metric with German words. The original Michelin spare has all the sidewall lettered in German. It spent 6 months in south Texas getting right with the EPA and import duties, etc. It does not have a VIN, it has an import plate riveted to the drivers door frame. I have owned it for 20 years now.

I have titled it legally in Oklahoma when I lived there and now in Kansas it is titled legally. Neither state could figure out its value before it was considered antique so my tags were stupid cheap. Its a great car to drive, Bosch mechanical fuel injected straight 6 with a 4 speed auto. I have never had an issue getting insurance, I have an agreed value policy with Progressive that is very cheap for full coverage.

When I was in Cabo a couple of years ago I asked an ex-pat why there were so many Montana cars in Baja California - she said Montana is the only state that only cares about the money and could care less where you actually live so all the ex-pats title their cars in Montana because Mexican tag title and registration is so much more expensive.
And how many times have you been caught and confronted by law enforcement for your “illegal” vehicle in your 20 years of ownership?

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ive had all kinds of 25yr and OHV ONLY converted vehicles. there is no way this is legal in USA to drive period. Get into a car accident and have someone get injured and see how that plays out....

the Montana thing is for tax evasion. as well as Alaska.

Last edited: