Advice needed on camshaft wear

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
Hello:

I just purchased a 2006 jetta tdi with dsg. The previous owner had communicated that there was a P0101 code and he took it to the dealership and they said it needed a new camshaft. Accepting this fate, I purchased the car. however, when I got home and popped the hood I found the air cleaner housing bolts all loose and the lid could rise up easily. I tightened them down and went to check the codes and it was gone. could this loose air box lid trigger such a code?

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
oh, sorry I forgot to include that I pulled the valve cover off and found some slight wear as indicated by the loss of bevel near the tip of the lobes on two valves. However, I ran measuring block 13 to see the injector deviations and they were all super small, I think the largest was 0.16.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
More likely is that the loose air cover has let the MAF get really dirty. Hopefully it hasn’t gotten too much dirt through the turbo. You could try MAF cleaner but it will probably require replacement.

If you have VCDS you can check actual vs requested MAF and start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
update; I drove it around today and if I try to give it more than 1/2 throttle, it acts like it is misfiring and stumbles. I back off the throttle and it goes away. I think I do have a boost leak somewhere because I can hear a hiss. I thought camshaft wear problems didn't have drivability symptoms? I thought people heard a noise at idle in the intake?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have a boost leak that is also a problem. Unless it’s a big leak tho it shouldn’t cause serious drivability issues. I would check actual vs requested MAF. Dirty MAFs are an issue for the BRM even when your air box is sealed and working properly. Where yours was open the MAF is very suspect in my opinion. MAF sensors are the most sensitive sensors on a car, doesn’t take much to throw them off.

Your cam might be bad but if there isn’t a hole in one of your lifters it shouldn’t be causing drivability issues like that.

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
I've had many tdi's and I keep on forgetting that the fuel filter is crucial. I replaced it and the problem is gone thanks for the insights.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Hello:
I just purchased a 2006 jetta tdi with dsg. The previous owner had communicated that there was a P0101 code and he took it to the dealership and they said it needed a new camshaft.
With the previous owner, that's the problem right there. The tech probably just likes to change camshafts. If he had given the dealer the go ahead, the dealer may have ended up replacing a whole wheel barrow of perfectly good parts and not fixed anything.

If you are out of warranty, never go to a dealer for maintenance.

How many miles are on the car? People seem to get anywhere from 60K miles and 300K miles on the BRM camshaft. When was the last timing belt and timing components done?

Also important, is when was the last DSG service done? It should be done every 40K miles.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
update; I drove it around today and if I try to give it more than 1/2 throttle, it acts like it is misfiring and stumbles. I back off the throttle and it goes away. I think I do have a boost leak somewhere because I can hear a hiss. I thought camshaft wear problems didn't have drivability symptoms? I thought people heard a noise at idle in the intake?

Try the zip-tie mod

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I suggest that you carefully evaluate all the vacuum line connections as being correct, and all the vacuum components being correctly functional.

Your post lacks many details as to what happened and when.

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
Sorry. Let me go through the play-by-play. I bought the car with drivability issues and assumed it was the camshaft as described by the previous owner. The drivability issues turned out to be the fuel filter. I still observed some marginal camwear and an EGR leak but it still drives fine

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
It turns out my boost leak is the dreaded EGR cooler bushing leak. I ordered a block off plate and we'll do the EGR Delete for off-road purposes only of course

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
Please consider the alternate solution of replacing the EGR cooler with Franko6's modified EGR cooler, as that solves the problem without creating ancillary issues.

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
The only issues I thought were created by deleting the EGR were longer than normal times to warm up and a check engine light correct?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
There are no ancillary issues to worry about as long as you don’t have emissions testing, you should get a tune to properly delete it though.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
EGR issues

The only issues I thought were created by deleting the EGR were longer than normal times to warm up and a check engine light correct?
In many states one cannot pass inspections if EGR equipment is missing. Other than that, I have a high regard for Franko6 and his opinions as to the best way to deal with it and that is how he recommends it be addressed.

texanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM)
My EGR delete kit came in today. I installed and the hissing went away. It is now driving very well except for the check engine light. This is off road off road off road off road use only do you hear that Uncle Sam?