Little Brake "Surge" or "Pump" after Braking to Complete Stop

Mark Mellblom

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf 2001 TDI Golf
I have occasionally noted that after braking on my 2002 GLS that I will be sitting stopped for a few seconds when suddenly it feels as though the car's brakes are 'catching' again as though the car was moving very slowly, almost imperceptably, and then the brakes grabbed. But I don't think the car is moving.

The car was just in for its 5000K and according to the dealer it was not included on the ABS recall. (As well, never received any written notification of the recall for that car, though I did for my 2001)

Anyone else experience this?

Captaingomes

TDI
97 Jetta TDI
Hi,

I have noticed something similar when backing up my dad's Passat 1.8T down the driveway. Towards the bottom of the driveway, I also feel a surge or something momentarily, but there aren't any other occasions where I feel anything of the sort. I don't know if that indicates anything wrong, or if they all would do that.

Mark Mellblom

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf 2001 TDI Golf
Originally posted by POWERSTROKE:
one of the calipers could be hanging up!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What might be some other indications of that condition. Braking seems even with no other issues.

It's funny, but I think I've tended to notice it more after 'light', gradual braking to a stop, not hard braking. Again, its as though you are sitting still and the car 'brakes' itself.

If this were a caliper that released and then reset itself, then that could cause the 'feeling' but I can't think of what condition would cause a caliper to open and close.

If the caliper were really, really loose, I could see this happening. The pads would tend to 'roll' the caliper on the rotor making it off center....but I still don't have any other indications of problems.