Pac NW GTG in Vancouver, BC - April 6/7

TDIBri

Veteran Member
Hi all.... started a new thread to be a bit more manageable and to gain more attention!

Here's the proposed agenda:

Saturday April 6 - Cruise Day:
12:30p: Everyone meet at CAN/US Truck crossing (plan on being on the CAN side by this time!);
1:00p - 5:00p: Cruise with photo stops (proposed routes to follow);
5:00p - 7:00ish: Dinner (I'll pick a brewpub with good parking somewhere nice)
7:00p - ?: Depends on who is up for an extended stay!

Sunday April 7 - Wrench Day:
10:30a: Breakfast (location TBA);
12:00p - 3:00p: Show/Chat/Wrench (Fred has offered his place - enough room for 10-15 and near the freeway);
3:00p: Everyone starts to mosey on home!

TDIBri

Veteran Member
Please keep adding those names to the list!

Sat 6th = Cruise / Sun 7th = Wrench

So far we have as confirmed...
DL Durand - 6th & 7th
Waste Veggie Oil - 6th & 7th
TDIBri - 6th & 7th
hotrodtdi - 6th & 7th
dutchman - 6th only
pbandjay - ??
Heinz57 - ??
newfrijo - 6th & 7th
marcb - 6th & 7th
J. Thomas Bentzen - ??
godlike242 - 6th only
Jane - ??
VWDerf - 6th and 7th??
Dierre's TDI - 6th only
VWMIKE - 6th & 7th??
golfsammich - 6th & 7th??

Note my e-mail if there are any further forum issues or general questions:
bri_pen@telus.net

dutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Bora
OK bad news I dont think I can make it I still have some problems with Immegration and so I dont want to test this out at the border.

If I get it staightend out before then I will be there but otherwise I can't make it.
Sorry about that but I would like to be able to get back to me wife and kids in the evening....

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Maybe I should rephrase my offer.

I can fit 10 maybe 15 cars along the road in front of my house and around the block.
My house can only take one in the garage and one on the driveway.
So this means the weather also plays an important part.

PS, where's lunch planned for?

TDIBri

Veteran Member
Oops... should have listed the 10:30a breakfast as Brunch?!?!? Or maybe we could do a pizza run or something!!

Sorry Fred - didn't mean to lead on that you have a huge garage area! Hey, if you have a BBQ, maybe we could make use of it for lunch? I'd offer to transport mine, but it's a bit of a mess to move!

VWMIKE

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, black/beige leather
I am still not sure if I have to work on saturday. But I can probably make it for sunday. Does the wrenching include upsoluting? I'll keep on the watch for where to meet on sunday for brunch.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I will dust of our BBQ for the first time this year. Any idea how many people may be around on Sunday? Nothing specifically planned for the chat/wrench, but having a good time.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
PS, my tool selection is limited, so please bring what you need/arrange for it before hand.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Hopefully the weather will co-operate. Anyways, what do people want to do at the "tech" part? I have no plans, just providing the spot. Otherwise we can just hang out. If you do want to do something, post it here.

TDIBri

Veteran Member
For the WENCH (oops... that was supposed to be WRENCH -
) - I have been looking for the "local" UPsolute guy (I understand he is new, maybe not even ready yet, and in Kelowna area) as there seems to be interest - me included!!!

I've had no luck finding his contact info (have the email for the Alberta guy - a bit far for him) - but Dan (SchuylerDomer) said he would ask the Seattle guy if he is interested in coming up. Could be 2, 3 or even 4 willing to UP!

For the CRUISE - I'm putting together a route. What is everyone interested in? Scenery & Photo op's OR empty roads and twisties? Anyone local have route preferences or suggested POI's to hit?

It's getting close! Once I have a route I'll have a map and directions done up.

[ April 02, 2002, 21:31: Message edited by: TDIBri ]

TDIBri

Veteran Member
Me too!!! Despite using WinNT/2000 and UNIX at work, I keep a Mac at home for my personal "day-to-day"!

BTW - I just dropped a line to Pat. Hopefully he'll make the trip down!

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
JTBentzen and I will be caravaning up there together if we don't go backpacking. (I get to draft behind him because my lifetime average mpg is lower as a result of my #@!%* commute
). Mother nature will make the call--if it's raining in Seattle on Satruday morning, we'll see you Saturday afternoon

newfrijo

Veteran Member
TDI
Yellow '98 NB
Hey Everyone, I'm thinking about the Saturday cruise, after we all meet at the CDA side of the border at 12.30pm. After everyone's driven all the way up here, do you want to cruise right away, or do you want to get some lunch first?

There's a Mexican Spanish cantina about 15 minutes away from the Truck Border crossing, that'll have their large outdoor patio open for us, and they'll reserve the parking lot for us, too! It's my in-law's place, so I'd score some points with them ;-))

See pictures of VW's and the cantina here: http://billchow.freeyellow.com/VW/pics/cruise/2/Cruiseidx2.html

Good news is the weather looks good this weekend!

Reminder to bring your FRS radios, set to Channel 6.

Marcb

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
TDIBri: Is the start of this thread the official agenda for our trip? If so, how difficult are lodging accomodations in the portion of Canada where we all plan to stay? Also, do you know if we still need any docs to pass through the border check?

WA TDI'ers: Is there any planned caravan from Olympia or Seattle onward? If so, can someone please post the general stops?

Thanks for any additional info. The wife and I are looking forward to our first "official" GTG!!!!

TDIBri

Veteran Member
Hi All... I'll have a route map and description up tomorrow evening for both Saturday (should be a fun cruise!!!) and Sunday.

I wonder if I can get a final count - I need to reserve some space at the brewpub for us all! Can I get a tally?

VWDERF - do you have a suggestion for where to meet for sunday brunch that's somewhat nearby your place and also central and easy to find?

newfrijo - good idea for the Sat. lunch break, but we'll need to be on the road by no later than 2:00p if we want to get the cruise in.... What is the address? I'll add it to the route map. Also good call on the FRS - Anyone else have one / a set?

Marcb - Bring your passport and you'll have no problem. Otherwise, two good ID (drivers license, birth certificate, etc...) should also do the trick. As for accomidations, SchuylerDomer is staying at the Quality Inn Downtown Vancouver and I don't know what others are doing! I do have some suggestions if you need it - drop me a line if needed!

VWMIKE - I've yet to hear back from Pat to see if he'll make the trip. So I can't guarantee any UPsoluting (Grrr... I'd like to as well). I'll try to see if I can get someone (but paying USD would suck...) - you should come out regardless!

upsoluteBC

Hi guys (and gals),
I am the elusive Upsolute distributor for BC. I am sorry to tell you that I won't be able to make the GTG this weekend.
We are actually heading the other direction to attend a play in Edmonton (of all places!). Otherwise I would surely have liked to attend.

As for where things are in my setup, I am almost finished training and I have a business set up now to put Upsolute transactions through with.

I drive an '02TDI. So far, it is the only car that I have chipped, (and loving it!)

FYI, all chips for VW will be priced at $490 CAD plus PST & GST. I do not set the price, it is set by Valois who is the director of North American Operations for Upsolute. Any group buys or discounts would have to be approved by my 'superiors' which would be Tazz in Ontario first of all. He is the one training me.

There has been some local interest here in Kelowna area so you may be able to get some feedback soon about my work.

I hope everyone enjoys the GTG!

Kind Regards,
Patrick Yam
pyam@upsolute.com

TDIBri

Veteran Member
Thanks Patrick for the update... glad to hear you are almost ready to go! I realise it was late notice, but you had seemed to have disappeared off the forums!

You'll have to arrange a trip to Vancouver area sometime soon - there is a lot of VW interest down here (TDI and 1.8t) that I'm sure would be more than worth your while!

VWMIKE - I hope you still come out, at the very least we can lament about not being able to get UP'ed yet!

Dana D.

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
Here I started the thread but now can't make it - work. TDIBri, thanks for the invo. and I look forward to catching the next one. - Dana

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Where is the truck crossing where we will meet relative to the regular I-5 crossing?

I haven't crossed the border since 9/11 except on the Clipper. What papers do I need to cross?

Any suggestions re accomodations?

newfrijo

Veteran Member
TDI
Yellow '98 NB
1. The Mexican cantina is Burros en Langley, located at 19696 Fraser Highway, intersection of Highway #10 and Fraser Highway.

2. The truck crossing is about 1 mile east of the main Peace Arch (Douglas) border crossing. Coming from the US, take the second to last exit before the Peach Arch border crossing...I think it's exit 274 or 275...the highway gets REALLY bumpy just BEFORE the exit. I think it also says Truck Crossing.

3. Check the US Customs website for required documents for crossing into Canada, and back into the US. I've crossed regularly over the borders, and I always show my CDN Passport...just driver's license isn't good enough.

4. About brunch, there's a place about half a mile from VWDerf's place, called Chatters. I haven't been there, but it's been there for at least 4-5 years, so it must be decent! VWDerf, it's in the mall across from my place, if you don't know where it is. I'm not sure of any other places close by your place.

5. I'll bring an extra FRS for somebody to use. You can pick up a decent Motorola set (2 units), for about USD $50 from Best Buy in Bellingham. Get the one with 38 sub-channels if possible, and stay away from the ones that use AAA batteries. Get the ones with AA batteries.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I believe a few others are staying somewhere around Vancouver, but not sure where? VWMike, golfsammich? Waste Veggie Oil, etc?

1) TDIBri, do you have an up-to-date list of people coming for the different items?

2) newfrijo I have been to Chatters (once) and wasn't too thrilled. I am sure there are many other good places either in Richmond or at the New West Quay (both only at 10 minute drive away). Anyone in the Vancouver area have other recommendations? I will put some burgers on the BBQ in the later afternoon if anyone gets hungry... Directions to my place can be found from this link for Sunday.

3) Anyone bringing a Vagcom on Sunday? krakonos?

golfsammich

Gonna go on a road trip to B.C. with some friends on saturday, one friend who just happens to have a silver golf gls tdi. Hoping we can meet you all at the border and see what's goin down.

so close yet so far on the upsolute. what can I say, i want the group buy cus i'm poor

newfrijo

Veteran Member
TDI
Yellow '98 NB
In the interests of the group, I went to the trendy local pub for dinner, and to check out what they can offer for brunch. Dinner wasn't too bad, and they have brunch on Sunday, from 11am to 1pm, located about 5 minutes from Fred's place.

Eggs, sausages, eggs benny, omlettes, that kind of thing, range from CDN $5 to $7. Lots of parking. Check out pics at http://www.frankiegspub.com There's an excellent patio if the weather's good.

If we decide to go here, let me know, so I can reserve in advance.

Just another suggestion!