An easy and very effective solution to the reflection from the dash board vent

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I found my most annoying discovery with the Passat was the reflection from the aluminum surround on the dashboard air vents. The aluminum reflected in the driver and passenger side windows. and, especially at night, was interfering with my mirror views.
I stopped by an autobody supply house and picked up a roll of 1/8th black pin stripe tape. It worked great and was easy and cheap. Don't know how it will hold up, but outta the gate is just the ticket.
RC

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's interesting. I have not noticed this in 20,000 miles... perhaps it's a difference in seating position.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
That's interesting. I have not noticed this in 20,000 miles... perhaps it's a difference in seating position.
X2 but would like t see pics of your mod.

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
I will definitely have to look for this reflection. Never noticed it before. Now I probably will. LOL

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I noticed this reflection right away. I just blackened them with a sharpie
Sharpie was my first thought, but decided to give the black tape a go first to see how well it worked. I may ultimately go with the Sharpie, but as of now I'll wait and see how the tape holds up.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Which dash vent are you guys even talking about? :confused:

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I don't recall this problem.

What bugs me is that plastic square in the center of the front window vent. It reflects in the front window and I find it distracting.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have the same issue, thank you for the suggestion.. I find the reflections in the side windows annoying and distracting.

mikescul

TDI
05 jetta/13 jetta
I thought it was just me with a similar problem. I have a Jetta and it too has the reflection from the trim. However what is even worse is I bought a p3 cars vent gage and its refection in the mirror is terrible. Now the gage does work as described, however when I called the company they treated me as if I was crazy. I have been living with it until I read your post and I now feel better that their are others that notice such things.

Michael

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes... it's the sun sensor.

It senses the level of sunlight coming through the windshield and adjusts the HVAC accordingly to maintain maximum occupant comfort. Don't block it with a sticker or cover it up because the HVAC will start doing strange things (VA likes to place the inspection sticker directly above the sun sensor :rolleyes:).

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I found my most annoying discovery with the Passat was the reflection from the aluminum surround on the dashboard air vents. The aluminum reflected in the driver and passenger side windows. and, especially at night, was interfering with my mirror views.
I stopped by an autobody supply house and picked up a roll of 1/8th black pin stripe tape. It worked great and was easy and cheap. Don't know how it will hold up, but outta the gate is just the ticket.
RC
Here's some pictures. This has totally solved the reflection issue, Not the most professional job, but it works well. I'm sure others can do a better job of installing the tape.

P1040621 by rusty_98070, on Flickr

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I'd be bothered more by that than any reflection in the world :p

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I'd be bothered more by that than any reflection in the world :p
I'd agree with that, except it doesn't look as bad in reality as it does in the pictures. But then again, I found the reflection to be horrible. I was jumping through the threads on these boards looking for info on asemetrical mirrors and came across a photo someone took of their mirror where the reflection was huge, and that was in the middle of the day. I found it terribly distracting at night.

Mike 01Hawk

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL Blk on Blk
The hell? I'm an OCD mofo and... just... just... wow.

Good on ya OP I guess. Whatever floats yer boat.

Tdiyiyi

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Air Vent Reflection

Hi,

I'm new here having just bought a 14 JSW TDI. Besides the overly bright
dash lights the most annoying thing about the car is the reflection you guys
are talking about. Is there a way to remove these two aluminum trim pieces
so I can paint them black and reinstall?

Thanks.

Tim

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I for one, do not have that reflection problem. I consider myself of average height, but maybe those who seem to have that problem are either very short or very tall.
You would think adjusting your seat would be the first option to try!

Tdiyiyi, there is a control knob on the dash to adjust the dash lights !

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
mite be a sel thing, I don't recall my se having that trim. But my dodge truck sure does, it has a 2" wide chrome strip around the center console, reflects strait into my eyes- so much so I pulled over, grabbed the blanket off the bed in the trailer and wrapped the entire console with it- wife was like- so much for the cup holders

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the high gloss finish around the shifter/cup holders every now and then gets my in the eye, but that's prob about the same amount as the wife's cell phone angled just right.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
did the Malone tune fix the fix on your 15?