Trunk release in door not working

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I searched and found one guy with a similar problem but no one answered his question. Trunk release does not work in the door but the button on the fob works fine. I skinned the boot back and didn't see any broken wires (PITA). It appears the fuel flap release has its own fuse, I see nothing on the trunk. All works minus the trunk release. Help?

techlogik

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Good question, mine has the same problem. Guess a trip to the dealer is in my future since I have a CPO car.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Probably something to do with the harness where it exits the door and attaches to the car. My car opened it's trunk randomly at one point in time, but that stopped before I ever had a chance to fully investigate.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably something to do with the harness where it exits the door and attaches to the car. My car opened it's trunk randomly at one point in time, but that stopped before I ever had a chance to fully investigate.
In between the door and the car? No, no wires broken there. I just don't wanna take the door panel off and that not be the issue.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Possible wiring or switch. Either way, your next step would be to remove the door card to investigate further.

Do you smell? My computer doesn't have the ability to tell, but I'm sure there is a smart phone app for that.:rolleyes:

Good question about your car. you must be patient.................

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly are we calling the door card?

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Door card usually refers to the plastic door panel on the interior of the car.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got ya. I pulled the boot (again) and nothing new. I'll have to take the panel off. And get a new boot.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Started searching for "door harness" and now getting all kinds of results. Ah ha. My issue must be inside the door. Also realized trunk light was off which seems to substantiate the idea.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Result?

Part of the usefulness of this forum is discovering how we each have finally solved the various problems for which we have posted requests for advice or assistance.

Did you resolve the issue yet? What was the conclusive resolution? Inquiring minds want to know.

Started searching for "door harness" and now getting all kinds of results. Ah ha. My issue must be inside the door. Also realized trunk light was off which seems to substantiate the idea.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Occam's Razor. If the switch does not work, it is probably the switch.

I had to replace a couple window switches in mine already. Taking the door apart to get at the switch is not particularly difficult, but the way of removing and reinstalling the door handle is not intuitively obvious. I uploaded a useful video about how the door handle works awhile back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih9GpIc7pDY&t=3s