New Polo confirmed for the USA, with TDI

milo607

TDI
09 Jetta TDI SW, Salsa Red
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
If VW bases their future US offerings on current US sales of the 09 Jetta TDI, we're all going to be disappointed. The clean Jettas are building up on dealer lots at the rapid rate and don't appear to be moving anywhere. I can't link any hard numbers; simply going off the many I see at the local dealers. I have to think VW is taking a bath though and are none too pleased with current diesel sales.
There are many reasons for this, little to do with the car itself.

1) There are NO incentives on 09 TDIs and many dealerships want OVER MSRP for them. I know people who walked away from the car for this reason alone. I live one mile from a dealership but had to buy elsewhere for this reason.

2) Finding the one you want has been like black magic. Putting you name on a list and then not knowing what is coming in and when, etc. Either VWOA, or many dealerships dropped the ball here. I had a friend on a list for 4 months before giving up on a blue sedan with the DSG.

3) Diesel prices have come down, but at one time a few months back ULSD was exactly doube the price of RUG.

4) Ummmm, the economy!

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
VW is now reaping what they didn't sow - no advertising

I've been screaming at VW for YEARS to advertise the TDI's - but to no avail. Now they are reaping what they didn't sow.

If they used current prices and honest splits, they'd win every time. People will buy them, everyone I've talked to wants one - but as a previous poster said - all the dealers are being IDIOTS. Go to www.fueleoncomy.gov and put in your figures - the diesel won in my case hands down - and for gods sake harp on the lower carbon footprint.

Another thing VW needs to do - Pressure state and national AG's to investigate why there is a such a wide spread price diff in diesel vs. RUG. I'm shocked that our state AG hasn't done anything due to the fact that heating oil ( read: DIESEL ) is higher than it should be for the same reason and it's a widely used heating fuel in this state. I just got back from a trip to WI and MN and the price split up there is only 40 cents a gallon and also in IL, IN, and OH it's the same way. Only in PA and NY is it more. WHY???

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
brucetmoose said:
I'm shocked that our state AG hasn't done anything due to the fact that heating oil ( read: DIESEL ) is higher than it should be for the same reason and it's a widely used heating fuel in this state.
You would expect Andrew Cuomo, a Democratic politician, to honestly investigate the reason for high fuel prices in the NE? He would have to place the blame on other politicians, mostly Democrats, including his own father. That's not going to happen.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
brucetmoose said:
I've been screaming at VW for YEARS to advertise the TDI's - but to no avail. Now they are reaping what they didn't sow.

If they used current prices and honest splits, they'd win every time. People will buy them, everyone I've talked to wants one - but as a previous poster said - all the dealers are being IDIOTS. Go to www.fueleoncomy.gov and put in your figures - the diesel won in my case hands down - and for gods sake harp on the lower carbon footprint.

Another thing VW needs to do - Pressure state and national AG's to investigate why there is a such a wide spread price diff in diesel vs. RUG. I'm shocked that our state AG hasn't done anything due to the fact that heating oil ( read: DIESEL ) is higher than it should be for the same reason and it's a widely used heating fuel in this state. I just got back from a trip to WI and MN and the price split up there is only 40 cents a gallon and also in IL, IN, and OH it's the same way. Only in PA and NY is it more. WHY???
Maybe Taxes.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
TornadoRed said:
You would expect Andrew Cuomo, a Democratic politician, to honestly investigate the reason for high fuel prices in the NE? He would have to place the blame on other politicians, mostly Democrats, including his own father. That's not going to happen.
please.. Bush let the speculators get away with ripping us off in the last 4 yrs and you are complaining about Cuomo ?
The diference in diesel price is a rip off from the refineries and the retailers. For example , NJ stations on the highway have more expensive D2 than DE. It used to be the other way around.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
rcracer said:
when one considers the huge MPG between the current MY Jetta, and the Polo with getting close to 80 MPG, one could imagine that this becomes an incongruous comparison ... :eek:

IMO, something seems "fishy" behind the reasons we have no 80 MPG VWs here in North America ...
Those fishly smells would be emanating from the EPA and CARB. By the time they get done with this vehicle, and Big Oil and the (not so) Big Three have their say, we'll be lucky if it gets 50mpg. :mad:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Dimitri16V said:
please.. Bush let the speculators get away with ripping us off in the last 4 yrs and you are complaining about Cuomo ?
The diference in diesel price is a rip off from the refineries and the retailers. For example , NJ stations on the highway have more expensive D2 than DE. It used to be the other way around.
Brucetmoose was wondering why diesel and HO are higher in NY and the NE. There simply aren't many Republicans to blame in that part of the country. In fact, it's not just fuel prices, almost every problem known to man is the fault of Democrats.

Regarding your allegation against GWB... crude prices were and are the same everywhere in the world, after adjusting for quality, grade, and the cost of transport. Was there something he could do about the speculators in London, Dubai, Singapore, Mumbai, Rotterdam, and Baku?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
quote: In fact, it's not just fuel prices, almost every problem known to man is the fault of Democrats

OH my, that's a good one- thanks for a good chuckle.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Smart strategic move

El Dobro said:
Maybe that's why Joe Biden was chosen as VP.
Joe was selected to counter act any L.H Oswald types. Just think. President Joe Biden. Mr Prez is safe. Unless The Sec of State has him, Joe and Nacey over for dinner. But now the cost of cars is going up do to orders signed on emission laws

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
testy_SOB said:
Not to seem like a troll, but how long do you think you are going have to wait for an EV only car that can do round trip of 45 miles, and run at least enough heat and fan power to keep your windows defrosted in a Minnesota Winter? Much less have heat in the cabin. Not to mention that ALL current battery technology loses capacity with temperature.

At -20 to -30F in Northern WI I have to virtually bubble wrap my diesels radiator (truck and car) to make sure I have heat to keep my windows clear for any drive longer then a few miles. Heck, my former gas cars and trucks all wore cardboard fronts for the same reason.
A long while, if it were just a matter of increasing the volt 5 miles no engine and generator would more than make up for it.

But alas you are very correct, between heat and the efficiency of the battery charge going down in cold weather. Plus you have to figure over time the charge will decrease the range. I'm guessing that the volt would need twice the range to work for my commute.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Mmm, the engine should be at least 70-80KW on any electric car. It will be drawing at least 20-30KW in level highway criusing.
An electric heater that draws 2-3KW would heat the interior faster than you can peal off your clothes.

So 10% more power consumption is not going to reduce the range drastically.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
wolfskin said:
Mmm, the engine should be at least 70-80KW on any electric car. It will be drawing at least 20-30KW in level highway criusing.
An electric heater that draws 2-3KW would heat the interior faster than you can peal off your clothes.

So 10% more power consumption is not going to reduce the range drastically.
I'm more worried about the batteries in the cold. My wife's Prius will not even use the battery at -20F, I believe it also will not above 110F. I know these are different types of batteries (lithium-ion)

My 06 Jetta has a 1500watt heater and it I can't tell it's on at -30F or even above 0. But at 3k (2x) it may be a little better.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Polo '09 is out at Geneva!

The new BlueMotion with a 1.6L CR TDI (90 HP) is expected to get 62mpg US.

But: for '10 a new BlueMotion is planned with a 1.2L CR TDI (75HP) that should get.... drumroll... 71 mpg US (combined cycle)!

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03/03/ge...oncept-87-g-km/

Told ya'll it would be possible! :D
This thing will make my 60mpg-on-the-highway car look like a fuel hog! :p

Plus, the new Polo is slightly larger and roomier (but still 8% lighter) than the current one.

I also read a statement to the effect of "the new Polo will be available until '10 on all continents".
Fingers crossed for you guys!

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Yes the new Polo - i like it. It looks mature from the outside and has a very nice interior.

Last edited by a moderator:

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
I saw one today in the parking lot. I noticed it had a US plate on it from my county but I peaked at the sticker on the passenger side "Milano....". Well the owner was waiting on a salon apt and didn't speak much English but I think I got the point across it was a nice VW that we can't buy in the US yet. The lady driving it had a small tot who was in a cranky mood but I notice she did drive the stick shift 5 speed just fine. As memory serves it had a Polo and a 16V badge so a gas one. Sharp small car- hopefully priced well to compete with the Yaris, Fit, Versas it will compete with.

tdi4kev

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Reflex Silver 5 spd leather
The dream stays alive

Here's to hoping it happens.
In a few years I may be looking to replace the Golf, something smaller, mainly for commuting would be ideal. Since it seems unlikely that we'll ever get a CRD Smart, the Polo may be my best bet. Hopeful but not holding my breath...

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
VW Polo TDI on TOP GEAR

If you missed it, TOP GEAR's new episode Monday night had The Boys racing from Switzerland to northern England...each in a different diesel vehicle...each using only one sealed topped-off tank of fuel. Going too fast will result in fuel starvation. Too slow and the race is lost.

Richard Hammond's ride is a VW Polo TDI. At last, an opportunity for us in The States to get a good look at the Polo TDI.

BBC America's feed will repeat episode 4 of the '09 season Saturday (3/7)at 6PM ET.

No tellum, who won the race...you'll have to watch. ;)

...V

P.S. They FINALLY got a Bugatti Veyron to do a lap.

http://www.topgear.com/us/the_show/more/season-12-ep-4-racing-on-fumes/

jhintontdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI DSG
wolfskin said:
Polo '09 is out at Geneva!
The new BlueMotion with a 1.6L CR TDI (90 HP) is expected to get 62mpg US.
But: for '10 a new BlueMotion is planned with a 1.2L CR TDI (75HP) that should get.... drumroll... 71 mpg US (combined cycle)!
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03/03/ge...oncept-87-g-km/
Told ya'll it would be possible! :D
This thing will make my 60mpg-on-the-highway car look like a fuel hog! :p
Plus, the new Polo is slightly larger and roomier (but still 8% lighter) than the current one.
I also read a statement to the effect of "the new Polo will be available until '10 on all continents".
Fingers crossed for you guys!
If the Polo BlueMotion TDI did come to the US in identical form as it is to be sold in Europe is will not be rated for 62 mpg (US). The EU has a different test cycle than the EPA test cycle and vehicles always score better on the EU test cycle especially if you compare EU extra urban to EPA highway.

Take a cars that are the same for EU and US customers:

2009 Toyota Prius:
----------------------- City ----- Highway ------ Combined
EU Cycle ------------- 47 --------- 56 -------------- 55
US EPA Cycle -------- 48 --------- 45 -------------- 46
Difference --------- (+2%) ---- (-20%) --------- (-16%)
(US mile per gallon)

2009 VW Jetta 2.0T (200 hp gasoline):
EU Cycle ------------- 22 --------- 39 -------------- 31
US EPA Cycle -------- 22 --------- 31 -------------- 25
---------------------- (-0%) ---- (-20%) --------- (-19%)
(US mile per gallon)

2006 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI:
EU Cycle ------------- 23 --------- 42 -------------- 32
US EPA Cycle -------- 23 --------- 33 -------------- 27
---------------------- (-0%) ---- (-21%) --------- (-16%)
(US mile per gallon)

What is the point of all of this? Simple. Let's not get all excited about EU fuel economy numbers only to be disappointed or outraged that the EPA numbers are lower. We don't need to repeat with the Polo what we did with the CR 2.0L TDI Jetta. Realistically that EU extra urban figure quoted for the Polo Bluemotion will be rated in the mid-40's on the EPA highway test cycle.

Last edited:

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
DickSilver said:
http://www.nextautos.com/first-look-volkswagen-reveals-new-2010-polo?src=Nextscreen

Another article on the Polo. No prognostication about WHICH models will come to North America!
Let me try to prognosticate a little. The only gas engine adequate for American consumption is the 105 horsepower 1.2 Turbo. No one will pay more for a VW when it has less horsepower than the competition (Fit/Yaris) Too bad this engine probably needs premium (hard sell) and is a little on the pricey side. In Europe it gets the same fuel economy rating as the current Jetta 2.0 TDI.

As for diesels, it isn't easy or cheap to make a new 50 state diesel. Considering that Polo would at best sell about half of what the Jetta does today, the 1.6 TDI is another difficult option.

Cigar2

TDI
None
Speaking of the Polo....

......For those here in the States and you have BBCAmerica on you your cable/ Satellite system.
You can catch Top Gear the boys race from Basel Switzerland to Blackpool and the winner getting the honor of turning on of Blackpool's illuminations lights while only using one tank of fuel.
A 750 miles race the boy's all use diesel powered vehicles Clarkson drives a Jaguar XJ diesel purely for the comfort of it saying they'll never make it and trying not to do by driving like a Mad Man (hoping he runs out of fuel near his home). While asking the question Why wont you die?!?!
Captain Slow drives a Subaru Legacy Estate diesel.
And Hamster drives the VW Bluemotion Polo. Both May and Hammond are hypermilling and Jeremy isn't.

The episode will be airing the is Saturday at 6pm eastern. It's a fun show. So watch it if you want.

undata

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Cylinders

rcracer said:
I am dreaming now:

Imagine a whole slew of 3L diesel VWs getting 60+ MPG in North America :eek:
sales would go crazy! IMHO

... waking up now :eek:
Slight error in your dream: 3 Cylinder. I don't think there is a 3 Liter engine that gets 60 + MPG. For that sales would go crazy!

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
The '3L' designation means it uses 3L/100Km of fuel, it's not the displacement.

There was the Lupo 3L and the A2 3L, both of which achieved the holy grail of <3L/100Km EU combined cycle, using a 1.2L TDI, but were too expensive to be successful.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Vectorer said:
...P.S. They FINALLY got a Bugatti Veyron to do a lap.
Yes, and what a pig it turned out to be. Turns out that size (or mass, in this case) really does matter. OK in the straight line, it was beat around the circuit by a mercedes v-12 stuffed in the back of something some italians cooked up in their garage on the weekends.

P.S. - the merc sounds better, too.