Turbo Noise?

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi Folks,

Background:

I've got an '06 Jetta TDI. A couple of years ago I put in a Darkside turbo with their braided oil line and a Stage 4 Malone tune.

Last July ('17) my camshaft started going so I replaced it and the rockers with a Colt cam from Kerma.

Not too long after that my turbo went out with a sheared turbine shaft. It started making a very mechanical-sounding whining noise and then just died altogether. It had less than 20k miles on it.

I was able to buy a replacement cartridge from Darkside and installed it in October, but shortly after that the car went down flashing PRNDS. That took forever to get sorted and I just got the car running last weekend.

The new turbo cartridge has right around 1200 miles on it but something is making a noise that makes me slightly nervous. It is a faint whistle and sounds very much like the alternator noise you might get in a stereo system. It varies with RPM and happens whether I am driving or in Park. It starts at about 1300 RPM.

I have removed the accessory belt and the noise didn't go away.

All o-rings in the intake system were replaced during the turbo installation.

Here is a video - you can hear it pretty clearly.

https://youtu.be/vBQCdfnSK5w

Any ideas what this could be? I sure as hell hope it's not turbo bushings starting to fail because like I said, this thing only has about 1200 miles on it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

LakeSide

TDI
VW 1.9L Mk5 TDI
Same issue found EGR Actuator leaking

Got the same issue wih mine got my 2006 mk5 lifted up and wouldent act up unless under load. So I had to drive it hard through first and second and then it went to half power and would make the issue pretty clear that i got a leak out of my ERG actuator. Now this issue has gotten bad enough that it just leaks at idle. This has caused me to loose most of my power like limp mode but you can get the car up to 70mph or 110km/h roughly. If you got to a hill good luck climbing it cuz you got no turbo as your exhaust is going out the EGR actuator. Im going to order a EGR actuator delete kit and leave the Watergate as its normally open anyway. Im hopeing I just have to clear the check engine light with my hand held and there are no hard codes, aswell as im hopeing i dont have to get the MAP re-routed. Let everyone know how it works probaly take couple weeks to complete after i get it shipped.