Mercedes to Launch Four-Cylinder Diesel E250 4MATIC, ML250 Here Next Year

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
This is a interesting strategy in my mind.
For the E-Class, adding the weight of 4MATIC will likely offset the economy benefit over the V6. Then the driving dynamics of RWD are also lost. I think luxury buyers care less and less about cylinders, but 4MATIC should remain only an option on the sedan.
A 4-cyl ML could be of some economy benefit, but I'm not sure the sacrifices in capability will be worth it.
I wonder if the E250 will impact the rumored C250 launch following the GLK250?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I have driven the E250 wagon (with RWD) and it's all the engine that car needs. 204hp/370 lb-ft. I'm sure it will do a fine job in the ML too. They even put it into the S-Class, so why not?

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
They did to add it to the E-Class Coupe - that, for me, would be the vehicle to have.

We have our order for the GLK 250 which is due March/April - it'll be a long wait,
but should be worth it.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
I would buy that E-class, cause I had to get rid of my E Class diesel rear wheel drive because of snow.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
ya sure.....for 2.5 times the price of my loaded Golf.....uh huh....MBs are so overpriced....

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
They are expensive, but if you drive the E Class then drive the golf, back to back, you will immediately see how much nicer the Mercedes is. Also, if you purchase one Benz for $50,000 new and keep it for 10 to 15 years, you are actually doing better than the average American, who purchases a less expensive and less comfortable car every 3 years. If that car costs 20K to 25K, the average American spends $70 to 75K every 9 years. I prefer to purchase a car that I really love, and keep it over time. In the meantime, I have a Jetta TDi, that I will probably keep for 10 years too. I love it equally well, but it still doesn't give me that feeling that I get every time I shine up the beautiful wood on my dash and doors of my Benz.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
They are expensive, but if you drive the E Class then drive the golf, back to back, you will immediately see how much nicer the Mercedes is. Also, if you purchase one Benz for $50,000 new and keep it for 10 to 15 years, you are actually doing better than the average American, who purchases a less expensive and less comfortable car every 3 years. If that car costs 20K to 25K, the average American spends $70 to 75K every 9 years. I prefer to purchase a car that I really love, and keep it over time. In the meantime, I have a Jetta TDi, that I will probably keep for 10 years too. I love it equally well, but it still doesn't give me that feeling that I get every time I shine up the beautiful wood on my dash and doors of my Benz.

I would have to disagree with you some there. I am in germany for months at a time pretty frequently, where we usually end up with 5 series BMW's or E class Benz for rentals as the norm, with the occaisional Audi, or even the occasional getting stiffed with a C class benz or 3 (or even 1) series BMW. Everyone out there I work with including myself always go straight for the 5 series, maybe an Audi when we can get em. Usually when someone ends up with a benz, especially a C class, they tend to get bummed out like they got screwed. Some will even ask to go down to a 3 series when offered an E class. After having driven a couple of the Benzes, I see why! Sure they feel nice sturdy and quality, but driving them? BORING! If I had my golf out there and a shiny new benz sitting next to eachother and had to choose one for the next few months, I would of stayed with my golf. Sure it's much smaller and doesnt have the status and all, and not quite the build quality, but it is MUCH more enjoyable to drive.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
75k every 9 years? What are they buying that has zero resale value after 3 years?
Understood, but even wasting $50K on 3 cars in 9 years on junk is not good.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
I would have to disagree with you some there. I am in germany for months at a time pretty frequently, where we usually end up with 5 series BMW's or E class Benz for rentals as the norm, with the occaisional Audi, or even the occasional getting stiffed with a C class benz or 3 (or even 1) series BMW. Everyone out there I work with including myself always go straight for the 5 series, maybe an Audi when we can get em. Usually when someone ends up with a benz, especially a C class, they tend to get bummed out like they got screwed. Some will even ask to go down to a 3 series when offered an E class. After having driven a couple of the Benzes, I see why! Sure they feel nice sturdy and quality, but driving them? BORING! If I had my golf out there and a shiny new benz sitting next to eachother and had to choose one for the next few months, I would of stayed with my golf. Sure it's much smaller and doesnt have the status and all, and not quite the build quality, but it is MUCH more enjoyable to drive.
With all due respect to my beloned VW, you would not choose a Golf over my 2012 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec diesel 4Matic. This is not just a Mercedes C-Class. In fact, after owning 5 Benzes, this is the best Benz I've ever driven.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
With all due respect to my beloned VW, you would not choose a Golf over my 2012 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec diesel 4Matic. This is not just a Mercedes C-Class. In fact, after owning 5 Benzes, this is the best Benz I've ever driven.
I agree. saw a beautiful new kinda coffee color ML BlueT at the gym the other day....But, up front costs, maintenace, parts prices (very high), mileage,insurance,size and fun tend to lock me back to the Golf....and no stick on any benz in canada right now I believe....