Goodbye ECOdiesel - totaled while parked @ 429,466 miles

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
....... That Bee Story is just too good to be true. And I have to take off work for a week cause a cousin in North Carolina died......

It is amazing how some people have zero difficulty in lying about anything. :mad: I would be willing to wager that if you sat down with her, she would have little difficulty explaining how she actually is the victim in this entire affair. :mad:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
RIP... I just ordered my DVR cam system. I have been putting it off for so long... Your video(s) made me make it happen. I have been doing tons of research and made a BIG purchase to suit ALL my needs. (overkill system, but too much is perfect) :)

Thanks for the nudge, guys! & sorry to see such a fine machine scraped...

When you get a chance, please write up your Camera system and include a few lines about how you chose the various parts.
We like learnin'!

Bill

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I just now came across this thread.

Bummer.

I feel ya, 'cause my 2010 JSW was rear-ended a few weeks ago while I was sitting in a construction backup on US-131 in Grand Rapids. A huge SUV couldn't stop and whizzed by me on the shoulder, plowing right through a construction sign (and doing a fair amount of damage to their car) and continued on. Then I was hit by someone in the center lane who decided he wanted to be in the right lane....which I happened to be occupying.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I just now came across this thread.

Bummer.

I feel ya, 'cause my 2010 JSW was rear-ended a few weeks ago while I was sitting in a construction backup on US-131 in Grand Rapids. A huge SUV couldn't stop and whizzed by me on the shoulder, plowing right through a construction sign (and doing a fair amount of damage to their car) and continued on. Then I was hit by someone in the center lane who decided he wanted to be in the right lane....which I happened to be occupying.
That sucks! Are you OK, Dean?
How bad is the damage to the car?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I kinda wished the car had been totaled -- which would mean I get a new car. :) But that would probably then mean injury. If that SUV hadn't swerved and hit the shoulder (and sign), things might have been different.

No injury. Hardly even jolted. Just a slight headrest smack. They guy was just about 3 feet short of being able to stop. The repair was $5500. Bumper skin, taillight, a slight tug on the quarter panel but no paint work there, a repair panel underneath the bumper skin, and some bondo and paint work on one corner of the tailgate. Oh, and a new muffler section from mid-car back. It's a $900 VW part. (and the funny thing is that people do mufflerectomies on these CR TDIs and find that the muffler isn't doing much of anything anyway!)

It's just more of a nuisance than anything. I didn't realize that I had to have special coverage for a rental car even if I wasn't at fault. So I had to pay a bit out of pocket for a Hertz rental for a week (Chevy Cruze, not bad actually) and then had a free loaner from the bodyshop for 1.5 weeks -- a '99 Taurus beater.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I didn't realize that I had to have special coverage for a rental car even if I wasn't at fault.
Won't the insurer of the car that hit you be responsible for that? (I thought that insurance companies are honor-bound to make your life as easy as possible... :rolleyes:)

Sorry to hear of the collision...

Yuri

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Won't the insurer of the car that hit you be responsible for that? (I thought that insurance companies are honor-bound to make your life as easy as possible... :rolleyes:)

Sorry to hear of the collision...

Yuri
Here in Michigan we have 'no-fault insurance.' That means that regardless of who was at fault, we each have to go to our respective insurance companies, and they will fix our cars. The reasoning was that there was so much money spent with insurance companies fighting each other, that the government of Michigan decided to just do away with the whole system of determining who was at fault, and just make it mandatory that your insurance company repairs your car.

I seem to recall some billboards lately that indicated that there was a battle going on to overturn this recently. The claim was that no-fault insurance was costing MORE money when it came to hospitalizations. Not sure of the whole scoop.

When I moved here from Wisconsin 15 years ago, my insurance company wouldn't cover me because they didn't do no-fault insurance. So I had to find another insurance company.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Ah, yes... we have no-fault insurance here too... Now that I think of it, when I was growing up, there was a version of it in New York, also... after an accident, both parties used to say "It wasn't my fault"... ergo, no-fault...

Yuri.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
:mad:
Here in Michigan we have 'no-fault insurance.' That means that regardless of who was at fault, we each have to go to our respective insurance companies, and they will fix our cars. The reasoning was that there was so much money spent with insurance companies fighting each other, that the government of Michigan decided to just do away with the whole system of determining who was at fault, and just make it mandatory that your insurance company repairs your car.

I seem to recall some billboards lately that indicated that there was a battle going on to overturn this recently. The claim was that no-fault insurance was costing MORE money when it came to hospitalizations. Not sure of the whole scoop.

When I moved here from Wisconsin 15 years ago, my insurance company wouldn't cover me because they didn't do no-fault insurance. So I had to find another insurance company.
Colorado just did aways with No-Fault Ins a few years ago, they claimed health ins costs were getting too high. But just a few years later the costs of liability & uninsured/under insured have surpassed what No-Fault was costing.

Also because of interstate commerce agreements when you cross into another your policy changes to match that states regs. My home state written policy gives no-fault coverage in states that have that type of coverage by agreement.

My coverage for uninsured has been needed 3 times in the last ~20 years in Colorado. The last stats I saw there were only 1 in 3 that have coverage in Colorado today, yes ~30 % of the cars on the road in Colorado actually have up to date coverage:mad:. Colorado has no enforcement tool to track or get uninsured off the road. In my home state they track your coverage in a state computer. Insurance companies supply up to date info that you have coverage and they come to your house and suspend your plate if you don't. They also suspend your DR license if you fail to keep coverage.

In Colorado the insurance lobby fought really hard to block the state from passing a tracking system or a tag or DR license suspension law. In Colorado many buy a policy pay one month's premium to get a plate and unless they have an accident no one is the wiser when they never pay another..... Many people look at it as it is cheaper to just pay the fine for not having coverage IF THEY EVER GET CAUGHT than to buy it.........I know people that haven't had coverage in decades.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Glad to see you got your new wheels.
Cannot believe the amount of damage to the Jetta while the Toyota looks like it only broke its headlight, Just shows you how car structures improved in 20 years.
it really depends on where each car was hit it access damage. My 01 Jetta was hit by a Cadillac SUV (stolen of a dealers lot) running a red light in Baltimore. It hit me right on the pass. side front wheel. damage did not look all that bad but the first est. was for 9600$ ended up being 11500$ after they got into tearing it down plus replacing all the after market body kit , FMIC, skid plate plus a handful of over stuff. To bad about you car glade you were not in it at the time. I really liked the Early diesels and am looking for an A-1 to buy as a beater car.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
sorry about your loss.....316 posts about a car that gets hit on a street....wow....we must be a boring group. hope you can find a cool car to replace it!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Had to do something to make it move under its own power. The body work was pressed into the tire.