TDIFest 2014 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm open to helping you all put something together if you're interested. I'm currently helping some folks with a bid for Colorado in 2014 but I can certainly share the knowledge and support anyone who is interested in planning a TDIFest. :cool:

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I'm open to helping you all put something together if you're interested. I'm currently helping some folks with a bid for Colorado in 2014 but I can certainly share the knowledge and support anyone who is interested in planning a TDIFest. :cool:
Well that makes two of us!!!:D

I'll bring it up with the guys at the Nashville GTG this weekend and see if we can get some more help!

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Colorado would be nice, but I would not be able to afford the time or $ to attend. I would think that it would be pretty expensive for hotels and such in that area that time of year as well... But if the Hotel/Resort is more important to the Fest then Colorado would probably be more regal and impressive than anything we have here in Tennessee...

I like the idea of having it in a more populated area that way even if the host Hotel is kinda pricey, it allows members that are not as well funded to stay in less expensive hotels nearby. That is what I ended up doing in Lexington, my wife and I stayed down the street at another hotel that was quite a bit cheaper per night making it more affordable for us to be there. If we have it in Chattanooga I'll be there, but I'll drive in each morning and sleep in my own bed each night!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
While allowing people to stay at off-site hotels is fine, encouraging them to do so can be detrimental to the event negotiations... it's like a balloon - squeeze one side and the other inflates. Many resorts and conference centers will give you free meeting space if you meet a certain number of room nights and catering $$, although getting meeting space through VWoA may relax that a little bit (that's a pretty big if, though).

Just some stuff to keep in mind. :)

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
While allowing people to stay at off-site hotels is fine, encouraging them to do so can be detrimental to the event negotiations... it's like a balloon - squeeze one side and the other inflates. Many resorts and conference centers will give you free meeting space if you meet a certain number of room nights and catering $$, although getting meeting space through VWoA may relax that a little bit (that's a pretty big if, though).

Just some stuff to keep in mind. :)
I know, but I also know that there are some members with a lot more disposable TDIFest related income than others. I happen to fall in the low income category and appreciate alternatives when necessary as I'm sure others do as well.

Like you said, if we were able to secure VW meeting space then the hotels become just a place to sleep while attending the Fest and we no longer need a "Resort" and can use any decent hotel or even more than one to get the best rates for Club members...

Riffraff Diesel Performance hosts an annual event for Ford diesel truck guys and does it at a campground, it is a multi-day event with dyno and 1/8-mile drag racing that is VERY fun and family friendly! One of the best events I have attended as far as the group getting together to help each other and have a good time together while admiring each other's work and trucks. They don't even give an award for the highest HP on the dyno and the drag racing is like a test and tune, line up against whoever you'd like and run as many or as few times as you'd like.

In addition to VW involvement, if we do settle on Chattanooga and I am involved I will try to get some additional manufacturer support and shop support as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think there would be any problem finding a reasonably priced hotel in the Denver area. Off the top of my head I can think of three Marriotts that have good parking availability and would work well.

There are a number of hotels that have good parking facilities and the Labor Day weekend isn't a big deal there. Better still, it's a quiet period in Vail and environs: it would be great to have a Fest in Vail or Aspen. Hotels in Aspen are dirt cheap (relatively) in Sept/Oct.

Or we could head down to Colorado Springs. Some good places there, too.

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I would keep an open mind to it because I have friends in TN. and VA I could visit on the same trip. I am really stoked about going to Maine as I haven't been there since I left in 07. At the same time as I work contract gigs in preservation carpentry, any trip I make is spontanious.

With regard to these TDIFEST's I'm at a loss to understand why local VW dealerships don't show up with product and/or VWUSA does not have a presence.

Please correct me if my sense of that topic is incorrect. At Bike events big or small the first thing you do is contact the dealerships in the area to show up with product.

Florida NY is less about ten miles from Wallkill. Thanks to my TDI I do plan to do a lot of flyfishing trips because it will be uber economical again. Running up to the Roscoe NY area was killing me in gas ... in a 8cyc Toyota Tundra :(

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
This was what I was talking about earlier... put your big boy pants on and enjoy the car and have fun driving it!!! When you are old do you want to tell your grandkids and great grandkids stories of driving 54 MPH to get maximum MPG in a cross country trip??? Or would you rather tell them about the time you loaded up the car and drove to an event and won the Autocross Challenge or cut a perfect light at the drag strip?!?!?! I would prefer the latter over the former for sure!!!:D:D:D
And that's why you still have much to learn. You need to learn that it isn't necessary to settle for one or the other, fuel economy or performance. When you figure it out you get both.
52 mpg AND cut a perfect light (1/4 mile drag event) at the 2002 Grand Rapids TDI Fest.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Having worked for a Fortune 100 company at one time (and had run a Company-wide conference once), I can suggest what may be in store for one who goes to the VW plant to try to set up an event like this on their property and possibly use their interior facilities.

1. They will recommend we contact "corporate" for guidance,

2. They will mention their liability coverage may not stretch that far,

3. In the event they actually allow some kind of event with unknown persons with cars participating, they would want to review everything that is planned and modify the plan to suit what PR thinks is appropriate.

4. There would be more strings and limitations attached to this that it would probably render the event being run by them (VW), of which they wouldn't want to do in the first place

(I could just visualize an HPFP blowing up in their parking lot)

I really don't think VW would warm up to this, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
With regard to these TDIFEST's I'm at a loss to understand why local VW dealerships don't show up with product and/or VWUSA does not have a presence.
We do get dealership participation (demo cars, parts/swag sales, donations, sponsored events including a pig roast in Lexington) and we had very good participation from VWoA in 2009 when we were down the street from their headquarters in Herndon, VA.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I don't think there would be any problem finding a reasonably priced hotel in the Denver area. Off the top of my head I can think of three Marriotts that have good parking availability and would work well.

There are a number of hotels that have good parking facilities and the Labor Day weekend isn't a big deal there. Better still, it's a quiet period in Vail and environs: it would be great to have a Fest in Vail or Aspen. Hotels in Aspen are dirt cheap (relatively) in Sept/Oct.

Or we could head down to Colorado Springs. Some good places there, too.
Wow, if you think hotels in Denver, Aspen, Vail or Colorado Springs are dirt cheap we need to trade bank accounts, 'cuz your definition of dirt cheap is WAY different than mine! I did a quick Expedia.com search in Chattanooga, Denver, Colorado Springs, Vail and Aspen for Labor day weekend 2013 Checking in October 29th and Checking out September 2nd.

Here are the average prices shown by Expedia:

Chattanooga: $100/night
Denver: $141/night (that is a 41% increase over Chattanooga and $200 extra for 5 nights):eek:
Colorado Springs: $119/night (only 19% higher but still almost $100 more for 5 nights)
Vail: $221/night :eek:(A whopping 121% higher and $600 more for 5 nights!!!)
Aspen: $241/night (WOW 141% higher and $700 more for 5 nights!!! That ain't dirt cheap, my friend. At least not in my book!)

FYI, to compare to the last two and the current TDIFest, the average hotel per the same Expedia search method in Lexington, KY is $99/night, Ypsilanti, MI is $130, while the hand calculated average for the 4 hotels shown that have rooms available in Bethel, ME is $133.25.

These were only averages listed when I searched the areas for those dates and obviously rates would be negotiated, but if those are the averages the negotiated rate would be based on that and probably a similar relation to each other. If TDIClub members want a Fest in Colorado, I'm sure it will be killer, but it will be out of reach for me...

In addition to the VW plant, reasonable hotels and a local 1/8-mile drag strip Chattanooga also has scenic places with the River, aquarium and downtown areas nice as well as Lookout Mountain with Rock City, Ruby Falls and the Incline Railway only about 10 minutes from downtown.

http://www.lookoutmountain.com/
http://www.tennis.org/Home.aspx

I think this location could be a real winner for any VW related event!!!:D:D:D

I would keep an open mind to it because I have friends in TN. and VA I could visit on the same trip. I am really stoked about going to Maine as I haven't been there since I left in 07. At the same time as I work contract gigs in preservation carpentry, any trip I make is spontanious.

Please correct me if my sense of that topic is incorrect. At Bike events big or small the first thing you do is contact the dealerships in the area to show up with product.

Florida NY is less about ten miles from Wallkill. Thanks to my TDI I do plan to do a lot of flyfishing trips because it will be uber economical again. Running up to the Roscoe NY area was killing me in gas ... in a 8cyc Toyota Tundra :(
We were just in Wallkill dropping off our son the weekend before last... We got stuck in the snow/ice storm Monday night. We went into Pine Bush for dinner at the Chinese food place and it was barely snowing when we went in and there was 3 inches on the ground when we came out. Our little Jetta with its well worn All-Season Goodyear Eagle tires did not like the unplowed roads and we had to stay the night in town. We were not able to get him back to work until Tuesday morning when the roads were plowed. Then we got out of there in the early afternoon between two cells and drove back home. I think we've made the trip up there around 5 or 6 times now. The area is actually very similar to our part of Tennessee but with colder winters and more snow!!!:D

And that's why you still have much to learn. You need to learn that it isn't necessary to settle for one or the other, fuel economy or performance. When you figure it out you get both.
52 mpg AND cut a perfect light (1/4 mile drag event) at the 2002 Grand Rapids TDI Fest.
Very cool Lug Nut! But I bet you didn't get the 52 MPG while at the track...

I do know first hand that driven responsibly when you increase performance you generally increase economy/efficiency I have seen it on the dyno and in the real world. It seems to me though that most of the extreme mileage guys (the ones that refuse to drive over 50-something MPH and route trips on back roads taking extra days to cross the country rather than driving with the flow of traffic on the Interstate Freeways) would not want to drive their cars on the track or dyno as they will return low MPG in those WOT situations. I know that I am happy with the efficiency of my '06, and I also know that I get better MPGs at slower speeds on the Freeway, but when we visit our son it is not worth an extra 5 or even 10 MPGs to add an extra 3 or more hours to our 13 hour drive up to NY. We would rather pay the extra $ and get there quicker and spend more time with him than get there slower and save a few bucks.

My worst mileage ever on a trip was something like 38 or 39 MPG and that trip included a 3-4 hour drive each way, a lot of idling, 3 dyno pulls, and several passes down the 1/8-mile drag strip. I was very happy with my results. Even with my 7,200-pound lifted Chevy 2500 HD that has the aerodynamics of a brick (especially with the front bumper removed and the full long-travel suspension and 37-inch front tires exposed) I am very pleased that the 540 HP 1,000 lbs/ft of torque Duramax engine yields over 17 MPG on the Freeway averaging 70-75 MPH! Technically I would say that makes it more effecient relatively than my TDI as it has around 4X the HP and TQ and probably weighs twice as much or more and has way worse aero, but is only about 40% worse on MPG... Now thats an odd thought!!!:eek:

Having worked for a Fortune 100 company at one time (and had run a Company-wide conference once), I can suggest what may be in store for one who goes to the VW plant to try to set up an event like this on their property and possibly use their interior facilities.

1. They will recommend we contact "corporate" for guidance,

2. They will mention their liability coverage may not stretch that far,

3. In the event they actually allow some kind of event with unknown persons with cars participating, they would want to review everything that is planned and modify the plan to suit what PR thinks is appropriate.

4. There would be more strings and limitations attached to this that it would probably render the event being run by them (VW), of which they wouldn't want to do in the first place

(I could just visualize an HPFP blowing up in their parking lot)

I really don't think VW would warm up to this, but I may be wrong.
Being a member of the media, I would start with my corporate VW media contacts and seeing that VW participated at least in some fashion in the past I think it is doable. But I will not contact them until we decide to do something and try to pursue Chattanooga as an event location or not. I would also solicit other corporate sponsors. Having coverage lined up in a nationwide enthusiast magazine helps to grease a lot of wheels to get stuff done...:D

If the corporate media people are behind us the plant managers will be very accommodating. When I shot and wrote a feature on the VW Dakar Race Touregs I went through the media department and I had full access to the race team and cars while they were in Mexico to compete in the Baja 500. The only restriction I was given was that I could not take detailed photos of the engine, but even with the body work removed the engine was so buried in those cars that I couldn't take detail shots if I wanted to. We had to put an arrow in the shot to show the front of the engine as the rest of it was stuffed under the cowl and windshield!!! I was able to speak with Mark Miller and Gineil DeViliers (sp?) and shot one of the cars with the body off to show of the chassis and suspension and the other one had the body on when I shot it. It was a very cool experience!!!

We do get dealership participation (demo cars, parts/swag sales, donations, sponsored events including a pig roast in Lexington) and we had very good participation from VWoA in 2009 when we were down the street from their headquarters in Herndon, VA.
The Pig roast was great!!! I would expect that the Chattanooga VW dealer (I think it is called Village VW) would probably participate in a local TDIFest too! I don't see any reason why they would not want to be involved in some way.

I really do think Chattanooga would be a great location for the Fest and will help in any way I can if a decision is made to pursue the location for an event venue. I'm not sure what else I need to do or say at this point.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I thought the Ypsi Marriott was around $100/night for the Fest (or was it $119? I honestly don't remember) and I was thinking the Fest team could negotiate similar rates in Denver properties. There's a Marriott in Inglewood that's chronically under-occupied, one out by the Airport, and the Marriott Denver West is frequently running specials. I once went out to my car at that hotel in the AM to find a fleet of Audis in the lot, stopped overnight during high altitude testing.

Yes, quoted rates for Vail and Aspen are high, but there's a window in Sept/Oct where hotels frequently run specials. In the past I've heard of rates at the Little Nell as low as $115/night. In season a single room there is over $400. Thinking about it, however, Aspen would not be a good location as parking at any of the properties I've been to is difficult.

I wonder if we could get a good rate at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort in Colorado Springs. Nice facility, lots of space, and enough parking for the Fest.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My total for 3 nights, 1 breakfast buffet plus taxes was $345.67 at the Marriott in Yipsi.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
For what it's worth, from earlier in the thread:

And, as mentioned in that thread, "Denver" means "in the general vicinity of Denver, and sometimes even outside of the general vicinity of Denver".

Might be worth sending suggestions for facilities/locations/events for a Colorado fest to that thread, too. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Published rates don't mean anything - it's all open for negotiation. This year will be our first year with hotel rates over $99/night (we're looking at $105 for this year).

The Ypsi Marriott Fest price was $99/night.

Even Hyatt Dulles' published rate was $180/night and we got them down to $99/night.

My sources in the hotel industry are indicating that hotels in the Denver/Boulder/FtCollins region will be "hungry" on labor day weekend and "good deals can be had."

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Very cool Lug Nut! But I bet you didn't get the 52 MPG while at the track...
Oh, hell no, and the fuel in the tank that I DIDN'T use getting there didn't help my e.t. either. The worst I saw was an average of 18 mpg while autocrossing.
It seems to me though that most of the extreme mileage guys (the ones that refuse to drive over 50-something MPH and route trips on back roads taking extra days to cross the country rather than driving with the flow of traffic on the Interstate Freeways) would not want to drive their cars on the track or dyno as they will return low MPG in those WOT situations.
I save my extreme fuel economy for fuel economy competitions (77, 78, 82, even 66 mpg in a 2.0 PD Passat wagon with automatic). And those are 250+ miles in length with observers, no engine-off-coasting, no drafting, minimum speeds enforced.
My worst mileage ever on a trip was something like 38 or 39 MPG ...
I'm close to that for a trip on the NY Throughway in a snow storm. Traffic was such that 3rd at idle was too fast, and so I ended up in 2nd gear for about 200 miles.
I am very pleased that the 540 HP 1,000 lbs/ft of torque Duramax engine yields over 17 MPG on the Freeway averaging 70-75 MPH! Technically I would say that makes it more effecient relatively than my TDI as it has around 4X the HP and TQ and probably weighs twice as much or more and has way worse aero, but is only about 40% worse on MPG... Now thats an odd thought!!!
Maybe not. You don't require 540 hp nor 1,000 lb*ft to move that at 70 mph. It may be capable of producing that much, but it isn't required to produce that much. I'd guess that the frontal area and Cd combination would be at least twice that of my Jetta so you'd need at least twice the power of to move yours through the air at 70 as I do in mine. I need about 40 hp to maintain 70 mph (a bit under 20 hp needed at 50 mph), so you'd need 80 or 90 hp or so I'd guess.
So for about twice the power, you use about twice the fuel. That doesn't lead me to a conclusion of 'more efficient'.

and if your VW gets 28.5 mpg (28.5 - 40% = 17) .......:eek:

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
Somewhere centrally located. Denver is fine by me.

Chattenooga would be ok as well.

I know you like to rotate it but have you ever thought about using the same location annually????

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just did some quick straight-line measurements: San Diego, CA to Halifax, NS & Vancouver, BC to Miami, FL. The lines crossed roughly in northern Kansas. So a centrally located venue box could be from Denver on the West to St. Louis, MO on the East and Omaha, NE on the North to Tulsa, OK on the South.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I heard recently that the population center of the US is somewhere in SW Missouri. The geographic center of the lower 48 is Jefferson City Missouri. I wonder if Fred could plot the active membership and find a TDIClub population center. I'm guessing it's a bit north of Missouri.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
With the exception of a few members who have the time and funds to travel across the country to attend a TDIFest, it seems to me that they are regional events that mostly draw and attract attendees within a certain time/distance radius of the event. Maintaining rotating locations will do more to all ow more members to attend a TDIFest over time, but if you are shooting for a large event and growing it annually having it in a repeatable location is best. I attend events of a wide variety throughout each year, and the ones that build upon the previous year are the most successful, with the TDIFest moving each year it will continue to be a primarily regional event.

I am willing to do a lot to help pull off a TDIFest in Chattanooga, but it seemed as though many members would prefer the pomp and circumstance of a resort location... I emailed Fred quite a while ago and have not received a response, so I can only assume that there is not much interest in having a TDIFest in Chattanooga. If that changes I am willing to help make it a great event and I can be reached via email or pm...

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Personally, I like the idea of a location rotation - that way, it gets into various parts of the country, but in the same part at least every so often.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Personally, I like the idea of a location rotation - that way, it gets into various parts of the country, but in the same part at least every so often.
Except for the West and South: only 2 in each part (Oregon, Utah, Kentucky & North Carolina). The other 10 have been in the NorthEast quadrant (that includes those in Ontario & Quebec).

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Except for the West and South: only 2 in each part (Oregon, Utah, Kentucky & North Carolina). The other 10 have been in the NorthEast quadrant (that includes those in Ontario & Quebec).
And none in Texas or surrounding states, which is pretty much south and southwest areas.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And none in Texas or surrounding states, which is pretty much south and southwest areas.
Yeah. By West I was including the NorthWest and SouthWest quadrants; by South it was the SouthEast and SouthWest quadrants. Based on those criteria Texas fell under both my West and South regions, so you got a Double Mention! :D

Lug_Nut

TDI
Would everyone that has already worked on a fest in the northeast quadrant please NOT do anything for next year.

Let's see the guys and gals from other locations step up to host.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Including people local to other areas is very important, but excluding people who have worked on northeast Fests, especially if they've worked on multiple successful Fests, is just wrong, IMO. You want a local flair to the event, absolutely, but that doesn't mean that you need to throw away the back-end experience of those who have worked on Fests before.

Status
Not open for further replies.