Clutch Replacement.

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
My jetta is chip tuned. I have still have the original chips and everything but I want to get a clutch that I know will hold up to it. I have the engine out currently and I have no idea when the clutch was last replaced. Should I buy a kit that comes with a flywheel or have mine resurfaced? I want something that I won't have to worry about.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
South bend clutch endurance 2 with a 14lb flywheel. Good up to 480lb torque I have one, love it. Dont go less than 14 lb though if you go lighter.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My jetta is chip tuned. I have still have the original chips and everything but I want to get a clutch that I know will hold up to it. I have the engine out currently and I have no idea when the clutch was last replaced. Should I buy a kit that comes with a flywheel or have mine resurfaced? I want something that I won't have to worry about.

Does your flywheel have hot spots? If not I would have it surfaced at a machine shop and then depending on your level of tune I would probably go with a VR6 clutch at the very least and maybe more if you have a tune that involves larger injectors, modded turbo etc.

Steve

dap03

TDI
1998 Jetta TDi
Does your flywheel have hot spots? If not I would have it surfaced at a machine shop and then depending on your level of tune I would probably go with a VR6 clutch at the very least and maybe more if you have a tune that involves larger injectors, modded turbo etc.

Steve
I haven't looked yet to see if the pressure plate has hot spots. I saw the vr6 clutch on kerma tdi and saw what they said about bigger injectors and a tune. I don't think I have bigger injectors but I do have a tune. Do you think that without the larger injectors it would still be okay?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I haven't looked yet to see if the pressure plate has hot spots. I saw the vr6 clutch on kerma tdi and saw what they said about bigger injectors and a tune. I don't think I have bigger injectors but I do have a tune. Do you think that without the larger injectors it would still be okay?

Much depends on how much you shove the pedal down and when. My B3V wagon weighs in a ~3000 lbs (unloaded), has mild tune and std injectors, I'm currently running a Mk3 TDI clutch (not VR) and it's been fine, then again I don't really place a lot of 'off the line' demands on it.

Again if you expect to do some street racing with it then you'll need to upgrade the clutch to handle that. I think the VR clutch is pretty stout but maybe not if that's the direction you're headed.

I plan to do the same tune on my wagon to my 97 Mk3 I have and when that happens I will likely do new clutch, which will probably be VR clutch, which is pretty readily available.

I wouldn't replace a flywheel unnecessarily unless you needed to or because you felt like you wanted a lightened version.

As for the DMF comment above you can ignore it, these cars never came from the factory with anything other than SMF and very few have had the conversion done at this point.

Hope this helps you out

Steve

'lectricjeff

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5 Speed
Much depends on how much you shove the pedal down and when. My B3V wagon weighs in a ~3000 lbs (unloaded), has mild tune and std injectors, I'm currently running a Mk3 TDI clutch (not VR) and it's been fine, then again I don't really place a lot of 'off the line' demands on it.
Again if you expect to do some street racing with it then you'll need to upgrade the clutch to handle that. I think the VR clutch is pretty stout but maybe not if that's the direction you're headed.
I plan to do the same tune on my wagon to my 97 Mk3 I have and when that happens I will likely do new clutch, which will probably be VR clutch, which is pretty readily available.
I wouldn't replace a flywheel unnecessarily unless you needed to or because you felt like you wanted a lightened version.
As for the DMF comment above you can ignore it, these cars never came from the factory with anything other than SMF and very few have had the conversion done at this point.
Hope this helps you out
Steve
My bad, I missed that it isn't a MKIV.