VW cap under the transmission is leaking

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
Hello,
2003 jetta tdi wagon manual, just turned 346K, original owner, love this car.

So I cleaned off the label/cap and the car sat for a couple of days. I looked under the car and the cap is all wet.

Can anyone shed light on this experience?

Do I need to take the cap off and RTV it back on??

Will I do any harm if I do?

Thank you for any input

great car, great engine!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is common to see some seepage around there. You can take it off and reseal it, but unless you are able to drain the transmission AND let it sit for a good long time it can be tough to get a good seal on there. As it has to be completely clean and DRY for the sealant to set up and work best.

Otherwise, just make sure the gearbox is full and motor on. I take the roll mount loose and lift the engine/trans UP in front to get a wee bit more fluid in the fill hole.

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
That is common to see some seepage around there. You can take it off and reseal it, but unless you are able to drain the transmission AND let it sit for a good long time it can be tough to get a good seal on there. As it has to be completely clean and DRY for the sealant to set up and work best.
Otherwise, just make sure the gearbox is full and motor on. I take the roll mount loose and lift the engine/trans UP in front to get a wee bit more fluid in the fill hole.

Thank you oilhammer for the input. I appreciate it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'm curious here. Just for my education, is this referring to the breather cap or the fill plug?
My bosses 2019 Porsche cayenne has a similar issue that the breather cap and hose is sitting too low, no way to raise it and the solution. Is 1/2 the service intervals on the fluid due to moisture leaching in faster than expected.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Oh lol, I'd just clean it up and let her RIP until your next due for a service on the fluid.