replacement interior door handles + DIY?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Looking for a front passengers interior door handle.

The metal is flaking off our 2015.

Anyone have a DIY to swap it out?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I watched a YouTube video for it, there are multiple videos out there. I replaced the drivers front door handle a few months ago. I would have extra fasteners on hand, my door had been apart for replacement of the door latch previously and i broke several fasteners. It was one of the most frustrating things i have done to a car.

I bouhht the oem part on ebay, it was about $11-12

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I watched a YouTube video for it, there are multiple videos out there. I replaced the drivers front door handle a few months ago. I would have extra fasteners on hand, my door had been apart for replacement of the door latch previously and i broke several fasteners. It was one of the most frustrating things i have done to a car.

I bouhht the oem part on ebay, it was about $11-12
Your response prompted a simple question. Is there a complete fastner kit for VWs that one can purchase? I find the dealing with fastners and each little quirk involving their removal to be very frustrating.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for the response, happen to have part numbers? I guess it'll just peruse fleabay.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
See this link for part numbers for the 2014 version:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=460244

I *assume* the interior door handles are the same from 2014 to 2015. My 2014 had the peeling issue (minor on driver's side, worse on passenger side but I almost never had passengers along) which I lived with until buyback. The 2015 I have now the interior door handles are just fine so far.

On my 2002 Jetta I did change the interior door handles out. Need to remove entire door panel, unclip the cable that goes to interior door handle and remove handle. There is a torsion spring on the handle that needs to be wound/held back to install it. I imagine the 2015 Passat works the same way.

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I have to do the same job at some point. Got mine from the dealer - took them 2 days to get it in. I can track down the part number if you'd like - Mine are chrome and the car is a 2015. LMK

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i think i got the part number listed in 251's post. now it's a mater of ordering the parts and popping the door card off.

William Korkshire

TDI
Audi
I suggest watching some video tutorials on Youtube to have a general idea. I recently hired locksmith n8 to replace the worn-out door handles. The guys explained to me how to do the replacement all by myself. That is one of the most hassle-free processes I encountered in my life. Besides that, the only tool required is a flat-head screwdriver. Pick up a new door handle set that fits your door from a hardware store or home improvement, and go ahead.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow blast from the past, i was able to pull the card off and noticed the part number of the door handle assembly was different than our SEL, i think i ordered the SE with gray trim.

Either way all I needed was the faux metal handle, which is held in by a plastic pin, so i popped off the pin pulled the old handle off and tossed the new handle on. Easy peasey.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I suggest watching some video tutorials on Youtube to have a general idea. I recently hired locksmith n8 to replace the worn-out door handles. The guys explained to me how to do the replacement all by myself. That is one of the most hassle-free processes I encountered in my life. Besides that, the only tool required is a flat-head screwdriver. Pick up a new door handle set that fits your door from a hardware store or home improvement, and go ahead.
Looks like you misunderstood the question. It's the door handle on 740GLE's Passat, not his house. 😂