Continental Truecontact

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Does anyone care to comment on their experience with Continental Truecontact Tour with EcoPlus + Technology on their NMS Passat? I am considering them for our 2015 Passat TDI SE in size 215/55R17 94H.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I'm buying a set of those today at Big O. $70 card from Continental and a $50 card from Big O for opening a charge account. Was told it will be 12 months no interest also.

Tire Rack has two videos on their testing of the tire and it did very well in summer and pretty good in winter. From everything I've seen it looks like a pretty good tire. Some people complained in on-line reviews about loss of mpg but I don't think they are knowledgeable. One person lost something like 10 mpg so I think it unlikely that the tires are at fault. Others lost like 2 mpg which is to be expected on a brand new tire.

I've generally been a Michelin guy but I am excited to get these skins on the Passat and will watch to see how they do with noise, mpg, snow and that bloody shimmy that I and others here have had at 75 mph. I wasn't going to get continentals because several people say the shimmy went away with new tires but with 800 treadwear AA and good reviews my expectations are high. Did you end up buying them?

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
General Tires and Continental are one and the same. I put on General Tire Altimax RT 43 tires 2 years ago and I was never happier to the the noisy OEM Hankooks go into the garbage.
I also changed size to 235x55x18. I hate those low profile tires which give you a harsh ride. The 55 compared to the OEM 45 gives a bit more cushioning.
At the time I had them installed, balanced out the door for Cdn$ 800.00 which in US would be roughly $ 750.00 for 4 tires.

Here is a comparison of tires and where the General tire ranks.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Today, $800 Canadian == $615 US...just sayin'!

How many miles on your General Altimax? Any increase in road noise? How's the wear?

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't know they were the same. I put General Altimax (the one with an aggressive tread) on my kid's Buick a few years ago and they did perform very well especially on snow. They just put the RT43 tires on it 2 months ago since they liked the original set so well. So far so good

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
They feel smoother but once I up the psi it may be the same as the old tires. I still have the shimmy in the steering but now at 65 mph. Big O marred two of my wheels at the tire stem and I thought it would be trouble but they immediately ordered me two new wheels and will replace them in July. I am impressed

I think it is time for me to either forget about/ignore the shimmy or get it figured out

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I've about 15,000 miles on the tires. Tire pressure normally 36psig except on my twice yearly drive to and from Mexico when I bump it up to 40 psig.
I have no shimmy.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The shop says they put 33 psi in the tires, I asked for 38 psi and I haven't checked what they actually put in the tire. I've rarely had a shop put in the correct pressure.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Continental TrueContact

Funguy. Bought the tires through Tire Rack, got them the next day. Mounted and balanced locally, total for everything $559.14. To date very pleased. Will make a few trips soon, health permitting, and report back on my experience. Will also update at 5,000 and 10,000 miles. Just bought another set for my 06' Jetta and they were cheaper than the General Altimax which I've used before and liked on our 97' Passat.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
They feel smoother but once I up the psi it may be the same as the old tires. I still have the shimmy in the steering but now at 65 mph. Big O marred two of my wheels at the tire stem and I thought it would be trouble but they immediately ordered me two new wheels and will replace them in July. I am impressed

I think it is time for me to either forget about/ignore the shimmy or get it figured out
Finally! I put both of the new wheels up front and the steering shake is gone! Now rock steady even at 90mph. So all this time it seems I had bad wheels on the car. Now it pulls just a little to the right so I see an alignment in my future.

GolfRRRR

TDI
2015 Passat TDi
Does anyone care to comment on their experience with Continental Truecontact Tour with EcoPlus + Technology on their NMS Passat? I am considering them for our 2015 Passat TDI SE in size 215/55R17 94H.
I bought the TrueContact successor PureContact LS, we love them, quieter, smoother, more grip and great in the wet (but they are new LOL)

Good luck

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Recently picked up a set for the wife's Forester 215 60 17 96H to replace 225 55 17 Altimax for 85ea on close out at TR I thought they were a good deal and have been happy with the ride and comfort.