Exterior Color Matching

TDI
I have a 2003 Jetta, and would consider the exterior to be outright black. I am looking and purchasing a rear bumper cover on ebay off of an Mk4 GLI in which the owner describes the color as "Black Magic Pearl". I'm not too familiar with paint colors...but is that color a match to mine?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I have a 2003 Jetta, and would consider the exterior to be outright black. I am looking and purchasing a rear bumper cover on ebay off of an Mk4 GLI in which the owner describes the color as "Black Magic Pearl". I'm not too familiar with paint colors...but is that color a match to mine?
I believe VW Black is black-regardless of what they name if from year to year. I had my rear bumper cover replaced last year on the '03 and when I dropped it off at the paint shop I asked the owner if he wanted me to empty the trunk (golf clubs and cart only fit in there one way) so they could get at the paint code which is on a label on the bottom of the spare tire cover. Nope, he said, black is black. Not like white, silver, etc. It matches perfect. When they did the fornt bumper cover a few years prior on the '01 "Silver One" they needed the paint code.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Post #2 sounds correct but................
you always takes your chances with ebay

Last edited:
TDI
Hmm, I looked in my trunk and found that my paint code is L041 which is listed as simply "Black". The paint code of the bumper in question is Lc9z..Black Magic Pearl. Not really sure what to do here. The difference can't be off that much can it?....I think I need to look around more on this one.

commanderjjones

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS, silver 5-speed
As mentioned in post #2, black is black.....with the exception being if it has pearl or metallic in it, and that would be obvious if you saw it in the sunlight (which is obviously not an option in this case). From the name "black magic pearl", I gather that it has pearl in it, so it might NOT match.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
As mentioned in post #2, black is black.....with the exception being if it has pearl or metallic in it, and that would be obvious if you saw it in the sunlight (which is obviously not an option in this case). From the name "black magic pearl", I gather that it has pearl in it, so it might NOT match.
Yes, if your code is black and the other is "black majic pearl" that is probably different, a metalic/pearl overcoat or something.

TDI
I am truly amazed at how difficult it is becoming to find a black bumper cover...thank guys. Similar to above I have heard the "all VW blacks are the same" kind of thing, so I was not sure.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
BMP is not "black". It's a metallic flake, and looks terrible (IMHO - though plenty of people love it).

Last edited: