www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2011

TDIFest 2011 Discussion about TDIFest 2011 on the Labour Day weekend (September 2-4th, 2011) in Lexington, KY.

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:46   #1
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!
Talking Info about Lexington, KY

I posted this before, but since its SO COOL, I had to give it its own thread:
http://www.visitlex.com/
I highly recommend visiting this website!
Sign up for your free Visitor's Guide - they send you a very nice packet containing lots of info on things to do. It includes maps, too!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:53   #2
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

I signed up. I suspect the tourism bureau is going to wonder why they are all-of-a-sudden getting tons of requests for early Sept.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue (Birdie)
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 14:30   #3
mo_focus
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 84 944

I think we should contact them and ask them to put some horse racing events for us, lets see if there is gong to be 3000 ppl, it might be a great event to watch on saturday night
1987 VW Vanagon Westfalia
mo_focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 16:00   #4
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_focus View Post
I think we should contact them and ask them to put some horse racing events for us, lets see if there is gong to be 3000 ppl, it might be a great event to watch on saturday night
If we get 3000 people, the hotel will have to install hammocks in the rooms...that or triple-decker bunks in place of each bed!!!

Unfortunately, neither of the horse racing venues have dates during Labor Day weekend. Those dates are set in stone by the racing commission. The closest you can come is the KY Horse Park to see the retired famous race horses.
Old March 13th, 2011, 17:38   #5
mo_focus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick View Post
If we get 3000 people, the hotel will have to install hammocks in the rooms...that or triple-decker bunks in place of each bed!!!

Unfortunately, neither of the horse racing venues have dates during Labor Day weekend. Those dates are set in stone by the racing commission. The closest you can come is the KY Horse Park to see the retired famous race horses.
How many people usually do come to these events?

mmm, so what else is there to do? I'm really trying to convince my wife to come and bring our 3yr old girl, but they are not car ppl and i dont want them to get bored. I did see there was 4 shopping malls so that should keep them busy, but wondering if there is other things to do as well.
Old March 14th, 2011, 14:23   #6
mrvermin
Veteran Member

A tour of the Distilleries, complete with Bourbon tasting?

Ok, maybe not for the kids, well not for the out of town kids... LOL

Hmmm Any Civil War sites to visit?

MrVermin

mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 21:32   #7
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

For children, there is the Lexington Children's museum downtown. The horse park is usually a hit with the kids. Nice pool at the hotel that should still be open. Feed the fish and ducks at the large pond next door to the hotel. Joseph Beth booksellers (next door) has an awesome kids section with play areas.

Bourbon tours are available, just gotta drive to do them. Nearest Civil war battlefield is Perryville, about an hour away. Mary Todd Lincoln house is in downtown Lexington, but unsure if open to the public. Google is your friend for that.

Please do send for the info Julie referenced in the first post.
Old March 15th, 2011, 18:06   #8
mo_focus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick View Post
For children, there is the Lexington Children's museum downtown. The horse park is usually a hit with the kids. Nice pool at the hotel that should still be open. Feed the fish and ducks at the large pond next door to the hotel. Joseph Beth booksellers (next door) has an awesome kids section with play areas.

Bourbon tours are available, just gotta drive to do them. Nearest Civil war battlefield is Perryville, about an hour away. Mary Todd Lincoln house is in downtown Lexington, but unsure if open to the public. Google is your friend for that.

Please do send for the info Julie referenced in the first post.
mmm, now wondering if i should make the wife drive the dsg so i can drink while i'm there
Old March 19th, 2011, 18:05   #9
Leafsfan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_focus View Post
How many people usually do come to these events?

mmm, so what else is there to do? I'm really trying to convince my wife to come and bring our 3yr old girl, but they are not car ppl and i dont want them to get bored. I did see there was 4 shopping malls so that should keep them busy, but wondering if there is other things to do as well.
I want to go to this year's tdifest as well. Working on convincing the wife. We would be bringing our 3 year old daughter and 2 year old son along. Is there good things to do for little kids in the area? Are there often many kids at the tdifests?
Leafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:14   #10
Hurst89
Veteran Member

If anyone is interested in seeing some famous retired race horses, shoot me a PM. There is a place called "Old Friends" that used to be on our farm until they outgrew what extra land and stalls we had available. They rescue famous thoroughbreds and have them on a nice retirement facility where they bring through tourists and enthusiast daily. The guy that runs Old Friends is a great guy and loves the horses and racing. It's a great substitute to going to the race track. It's only 20 minutes or so from the Hilton in Lexington Green.

Hurst
Old April 30th, 2011, 16:57   #11
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst89 View Post
If anyone is interested in seeing some famous retired race horses, shoot me a PM. There is a place called "Old Friends" that used to be on our farm until they outgrew what extra land and stalls we had available. They rescue famous thoroughbreds and have them on a nice retirement facility where they bring through tourists and enthusiast daily. The guy that runs Old Friends is a great guy and loves the horses and racing. It's a great substitute to going to the race track. It's only 20 minutes or so from the Hilton in Lexington Green.

Hurst
Out by Blackburn? If so, great stop on the way to the KY Horse Park.
Old April 30th, 2011, 21:32   #12
Hurst89
Veteran Member

Old Friends is now out 62 just into Georgetown past the Iron Works stoplight. I can't think of where Blackburn is right now, as I have been in Philly for school since January... If it's off of 62 where I'm talking about, I should know, as I drive that road a ton over the summer running to get tractor parts in Georgetown (in my TDI, my fuel-efficient parts-mobile). Are we thinking of the same place?

Hurst
Old May 1st, 2011, 17:13   #13
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Ahhh. I've driven past Old Friends. Blackburn is on Newtown Pike by the interstate. They had the racehorse retirement area next to it, and the inmates helped with the place.
Old May 5th, 2011, 16:50   #14
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Quote:
If anyone is interested in shooting some famous retired race horses, see me....
Sometimes what I thought that I had read is much funnier than what was actually written......
This was one of them.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 19:59   #15
Hurst89
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Sometimes what I thought that I had read is much funnier than what was actually written......
This was one of them.
Scared me there for a second... I had to go back and see what I had actually written. Thought I might've written something that would have had my family disowning me lol

Hurst