2012 Mk6 Jetta Coupe

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-jetta-coupe.html

Volkswagen unveiled a very thinly disguised hybrid concept version of its upcoming Jetta two-door coupe today at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Combining VW’s new corporate face with a more svelte body, the New Concept Coupe also boasts a hybrid powertrain.
Word is that VW will be debuting the cleverly named New Concept Coupe later today, but for now, the folks at Worldcarfans.uk wanted to share some of the info and pictures slightly ahead of schedule.
The early details on this pretty little coupe are that it finds its motivation from a 1.4-liter TSI engine – turbocharged and good for 150 horsepower and 177 lb-ft. of torque. If that wasn’t enough, the concept also features a 27 hp electric motor and a seven-speed DSG gearbox. If VW can find a way to incorporate this electric motor without too much added weight, this little concept car could prove to be quite the sporty offering.
For now, zero-to-60 is reported at a reasonably pedestrian 8.6 seconds, but a very respectable 45 miles per gallon to go along with it.
So far we know that this originally named concept car is being referred to as a Golf Coupe prototype, but that it would likely wear the Jetta name if it were to make it way to production. Given the very believable, mainstream-friendly lines of this car – we believe the reports that this name-less concept is expected to head for production within two years. The NCC looks to be a blend of a new 3-series BMW and a Scion tC in terms of exterior styling, albeit slightly stretched compared to the tC.
Wonder if we'll be able to get a TDI version any time soon...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Wonder if we'll be able to get a TDI version any time soon...
Unfortunately, I doubt it. Going hybrid involves more money (adding batteries and electric motor, etc.). If you add in the additional expense of diesel emissions controls stuff, I fear that the total price would be too high to attract buyers. The mileage would probably be stellar, but the price would be, also. Therefore, I doubt that it would be a market success.

I hope I'm wrong, but the cost of diesel emissions controls will have to come down significantly to make this economically feasible.

Have Fun!

Don

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
No, it deserves a modernized Corrado type driveline... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it would get that.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
No, it deserves a modernized Corrado type driveline... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it would get that.
'Tis a shame that you can only get the venerable VR6 in the Touareg now :( People that haven't had the pleasure of owning one of VW's small-car platform vehicles with that engine under the hood have missed out...it truly is a gem!! Of course, it's heavy and not exactly fuel-efficient so...

wainair

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf mkiv/ 2006 smart CDI
It's sadly an old article from a year ago. I don't think we will ever see a 2door Jetta.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Big NA engine on FWD isn't the way to go these days. The market place for the modernized Corrado has been taken over by the new Scirocco....

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
No, it wasn't.

The rear wheels were never driven in any Corrado sold to customers. (Apparently the Corrado does have a Syncro-compatible floorpan, though...)

Every Corrado was FWD, using a drivetrain setup just like what you'd find in a B3 Passat or a A3 Golf/Jetta. (Which were its contemporaries, although it was on a (heavily updated) A2 platform.)

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
My dealer swears the 2 door will ship in 2012. Unfortunately there's no word on a diesel version. As much as I'd prefer the sexy coupe, the TDI continues to reign for my driving demands -- not to mention VW's track record with new platforms.