VCDS scan Required, 2006 BRM

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok, no luck so far, I do have a story if it helps.

On average, I have have a great re pore with my local garage. But they have a new head mechanic and information is not coming forth from the shop as I would expect.

I had my front wheel bearing changed and asked as a favour to have all codes cleared.

I had just changed the drivers side door harness and must have turned the key on with the harness disconnected setting the code. I had drove it considerably but no reset on the air bag light. The ABS and traction light were also on, probably a result of a recent hard brake.

I picked up the car and the flashing glow plug light was on, but the air bag light was out.
What the heck. As I had asked the codes cleared as a favour, I just informed the owner/manager that it was on and needed an appointment to read the codes.

As it turns out it was coincidence the light came on after I started the car, as it was off during the test drive by the mechanic for the front end work.

But the mechanic did not convey to me at the time he could not clear codes because he could not connect, program wise, the snap on diagnostic scanner. Also no one had an explanation why the airbag light had reset.

I only find this out after i show up for my appointment and informed that they can not connect, therefore I have a bad wiring harness.

I have two 2006 BRM's and a Bently book wiring diagram and compared the interface pin out voltages and (2) grounds. Both cars had the same pin voltage reading on each pin and good grounds( 0 ohms). There were no shorted or dead wires.

The owner is asking me to get a club member to check with vcds. He has drawn a line sayin it could be his equipement (which until now has worked fine) but he is unwilling to verify what is causing the problem.

And the flashing glow plug which can be caused by anything is driving me nuts. The car drives as good as it ever has??

My backup is buying a Ross-Tech with 3 VIN number use for 199.00 USD. Can somebody tell me if it is light or the full version since it is suppose to interface with 1997 and up ???

ErackTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta. 13 jetta, 04 jetta
hey i have vcds if you are up for a drive out to me in smithville

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I am in Orangeville if that is more convenient... available most anytime today, or evenings this week.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
End of Story

Ok, was able to get a local scan with vcds but No Communication!!!!

Did some more research and a emissions standards course on you tube stated the following causes.

No Communication but the car runs normal.

1) blow fuse.
2) faulty pin, ground or wire connections to diagnostic connector.

So it had to be simple and it was. Fuse 13 (left side dash) was missing and that provided power to pin 16 of the connector.

I think when I had the initial air bag code I pulled that fuse and put it back where the rain sensor fuse should be, which was open, at fuse 17.

Even though I thought I measured voltage,(edit) also grounds to pins somehow I screwed that initial test as well.

I pulled the 16 pin diagonostic connector completely out and was then able to get a dead voltage reading on pin 16( should be 12.5 v) and used the Bentley wiring diagram to check for the fuse for that wire.

I replaced the fuse and started the car and soon after the flashing glow plug resets and is gone from dash. I assume I now should have restored communication.

Very much appreciated the back up offers from Erik and Henry.

Last edited:

ErackTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta. 13 jetta, 04 jetta
do you have an aftermarket radio
if u do power it off and then try the scan again
thats a common issue with some of the adaptor harness for the radios

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
What is a "dead voltage reading"?
In my case zero volts. Pin16 should have a full 12.5 vdc as compared to my other 2006 BRM. It has been very convenient to have two cars the same for reference.

Since the fuse was missing I guess I was safe to use that term but otherwise I see your point.

It is interesting that the car did not generate the flashing glow plug when the diagnostic terminal interface was pluged in initially but only after the key was turned off and the car restarted. The Snap On diagnotic could not communicate and the car recognized the failure by the flashing glow plug light. Again the car ran fine, absolutely fine, and a search on the internet indicated that it was a wire or a fuse problem to the interface under a "runs fine" situation.

I have had a "no communication" problem in the past but the car would not crank and was the J329 relay.

Last edited: