Electric vehicles (EVs), their emissions, and future viability

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwoodblack

Spammer-Banned
TDI
Audi A1
I don't think that hybrid cars are so ecological. Because at the first we haven't got ways to utilize batteries and at the second when you charge them heat pollution is on.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I don't think that hybrid cars are so ecological. Because at the first we haven't got ways to utilize batteries and at the second when you charge them heat pollution is on.

I do not understand what you mean by "Because at the first we haven't got ways to utilize batteries". We utilize the batteries by powering the motor(s). Also "heat pollution" is pretty much negligible. The most serious ecological issue with electric and hybrid cars is the ecological damage done by mining and processing the Lithium to make the batteries in the first place, plus any carbon footprint from the generation of the electricity used to charge the batteries.

In other words, the ecological issues unique to electric/hybrid cars are mostly battery related, but not really in the terms you describe.

Have Fun!

Don

bwilson4web

TDI
17 Prius Prime, 14 BMW i3-REx
Reasons for owning a hybrid or EV:
  1. cheaper to drive - 1/2 to 1/4th the cost of ICE cars
  2. cheaper to maintain - fewer or no oil changes, brakes last the life of the car, fewer or no air filter changes
  3. quiet - little or no engine noise and vibration
  4. shame when lights change - for our Tesla in 'chill' mode, we get across first and choose the lane we want
Bob Wilson

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
No doubt that the higher the price of energy for people transportation needs the bigger return on investment to pay a premium for a more efficient/cleaner vehicle such as a light duty diesel, a gasoline hybrid or an EV one.

Since the US has one of the lowest cost of refined hydrocarbons then a noticeable transition to more efficient/cleaner vehicles such as EVs is going to take a while.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Depends on your electricity price... here in California the electricity costs about the same a diesel for a TDI, but EV maintenance is cheaper.

Hello fellow EV+ ALH driver!

Just for interest, what’s your electric rate?
I’m between $0.06 and $0.07/ kWh (depends on season) in Louisiana. Tesla does 2.8 miles/ KWh or better (Leaf does 4) so $0.25 / mile or $0.017/ mile

My 03 Jetta 6mt realistically gets 40 Mpg
Diesel seems to be $2.75 / gallon here so $0.067 / mile

Diesel in my case is 2.7 times as expensive to operate than my P85 and nearly 4 times as expensive to fuel as the Leaf.

That said, my Tesla tire cost is quite high.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Hello fellow EV+ ALH driver!

Just for interest, what’s your electric rate?
I’m between $0.06 and $0.07/ kWh (depends on season) in Louisiana. Tesla does 2.8 miles/ KWh or better (Leaf does 4) so $0.25 / mile or $0.017/ mile

My 03 Jetta 6mt realistically gets 40 Mpg
Diesel seems to be $2.75 / gallon here so $0.067 / mile

Diesel in my case is 2.7 times as expensive to operate than my P85 and nearly 4 times as expensive to fuel as the Leaf.

That said, my Tesla tire cost is quite high.
We start at $0.22/kWh for a very low baseline usage, and then as you use more the rate climbs to $0.28/kWh and then $0.49/kWh. Most homes will be in the middle, at $0.28/kWh. There are special EV plans that roughly double the daytime rate, and cut the night rate in half.

In short, your diesel is 1/4 the cost of electricity, but our electricity is 4x what yours is so they're about the same.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
To think that a computer can be gifted with the subtle yet completely tested and very effective pattern recognition capability of a billion years of human evolution is pure arrogant IT style folly. I've always said that the 10% of the population that is alcoholic would love self-driving cars....

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
To think that a computer can be gifted with the subtle yet completely tested and very effective pattern recognition capability of a billion years of human evolution is pure arrogant IT style folly.

Neural nets were about as good as humans at recognizing objects they were specifically trained for ~5 years ago, they're way way past us now. The main thing is they can get more experience than humans ever could- they can learn from more data than a human could ever process. Of course, there's a lot more to driving a car than classifying photos.

Last edited:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
To think that a computer can be gifted with the subtle yet completely tested and very effective pattern recognition capability of a billion years of human evolution is pure arrogant IT style folly. I've always said that the 10% of the population that is alcoholic would love self-driving cars....
True... which is why machine algorithms ‘evolve’ except a generation is measured in milliseconds instead of decades so they can ‘evolve’ billions of years in a few years. That’s how speech recognition improved.

Machine learning is ‘natural’ selection on crack and sped up ~1Bx.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's exactly why you IT lovers should board an autonomous airplane, you know, no human pilot, the one that does the machine language by itself.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
That's exactly why you IT lovers should board an autonomous airplane, you know, no human pilot, the one that does the machine language by itself.
Gladly; Humans cause crashes. Machines cause crashes. Human error is far more likely than a computer error and that disparity is only going to increase;

Although I can see this becoming a bit like vaccines. Why do we have a measles vaccine when we no one here has measles (Yeah, 'cause everyone is vaccinated)? Why do we let computers fly when every crash is caused by a computer (Yeah, 'cause humans are rarely at the controls).

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You've clearly never operated a CNC machine. They're capable of cranking out parts in a big hurry. They're also capable of making scrap in a big hurry.

The computer only does what a human programs it to do.

"Machine learning"? It can only "learn" what a human programs it to be able to "learn". It can't think outside the box when something happens that it wasn't programmed to handle.

Famously, AI is hard - "Hard" being programmer-speak for nigh-on impossible.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gladly; Humans cause crashes. Machines cause crashes. Human error is far more likely than a computer error and that disparity is only going to increase;

Although I can see this becoming a bit like vaccines. Why do we have a measles vaccine when we no one here has measles (Yeah, 'cause everyone is vaccinated)? Why do we let computers fly when every crash is caused by a computer (Yeah, 'cause humans are rarely at the controls).
If and when it ever happens, I'll be glad to book your first flight.:rolleyes::D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
OK, so I'll preface this by saying that I think automated driving is a harder problem than Tesla thinks it is: the point of machine learning is that you don't program it to be able to learn specific things, you train it to do certain behaviors based on its inputs.

The problem shifts from one of programming responses to stimuli, to determining problems and training the neural net to solve problems.

(The problem with that is that you then have to identify the correct problems, and train it properly, and there are a lot of problems with driving that throw off humans even.)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Before we get even into the technicalities of AI and software 'controlling everything I suggested there is something that predates that: human behavior and our egos.

Do you see on a rainy/stormy day and fairly dense traffic drivers on large SUVs/pickup trucks driving 70, 80 or more MPH as it is a sunny day with no wind and no traffic, construction zone, etc. !

The perception of these drivers is: 'I have a large vehicle, there is no problem driving it 70 , 80 or MPH on a super rainy day. I feel safe, I own the road!

And I am not talking about necessarily a 'super techie' SUV/pickup truck with anything close to having auto pilot!

Now translate that to somebody who paid $$$ or $$$$ for a vehicle with the latest autopilot, AI, you named. Are you also perhaps tempted that 'you also own the road'?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
On the state of electric vehicles and their viability: as of mid 2019, they are still toys for rich boys principally. When Tesla first released the S model sedan, I cheered because I realized that only deep-pocketed vanguards could float such a radical concept. But when the model 3 came out (6 ish years later?) and didn't compete with the (at the time, cheapest of their model lineup) 3-series BMW it was aimed at, I groaned. Still too pricey, and no hatchback? Stupid choice, imo. Before you start nitpicking pricing of a 3 series versus a model 3, consider that BMW has kept ahead of them by releasing a cheaper, smaller 2-series.

Chevy Bolt, BMW i3, and other electric cars still look so stupid, like they're styled by drunk college students.

Maybe in 5 or 7 years I will be able to pay cash for an electric car worth owning--not sure, but we'll see.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Sorry you're going to have to unpack that a bit for me...

BMW is ahead of Tesla because although the Tesla Model 3 and BMW 3 series are priced competitively now, BMW has released a smaller, cheaper car? And the Tesla doesn't have a hatch, but the BMW doesn't either?

I just priced a 330iX, and with similar options to our Tesla it came to $47,350. A Model 3 LR AWD is $49,990, before incentives. The BMW has over 100 less hp, is 1 second slower 0-60, and is less than half as efficient. Oh, and the Tesla is bigger inside, too.

-J

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
The point vs. electrics would be that you always need a second car for longer trips. In my case, I could have an electric car for commuting, and another car for the weekends - or I can have one car, the TDI. Considering all the energy that goes into making a car, I'm pretty sure that having one efficient vehicle comes out ahead.
I don't know about that, my son took the family on a trip from Portland, OR to Calgary, AB and back in his Tesla w/o any issues. Stopped for lunch and charging, and then was on back his way.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Repeat after me: SUVs, SUVs, SUVs!

I don't know about that, my son took the family on a trip from Portland, OR to Calgary, AB and back in his Tesla w/o any issues. Stopped for lunch and charging, and then was on back his way.
For road trips in America you need an electrical SUV competitively priced: meaning if the gasoline powered SUV costs around $30,000 the electrical SUV will cost at most $40,000 (33% premium).

I am willing to accept that, even with this scenario, might be naive for me to consider it looking at current gasoline prices in the US!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Closer to 150 years, but look at the progress in the last 20 years. Efficiency has gone way up, while the cost has come way down. The top tech often starts out in space programs, then finds its way into consumer applications. Apollo 11, 50 years ago today! Now mankind is nearly prepared to step away from fossil fuels.
Coming across central Indiana yesterday, I'm reminded that people have been using solar power for the millennia that we have occupied this little blue marble. In Amish country, every house had a clothes line full of laundry while letting the sun do it's work.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Coming across central Indiana yesterday, I'm reminded that people have been using solar power for the millennia that we have occupied this little blue marble. In Amish country, every house had a clothes line full of laundry while letting the sun do it's work.
Yep. Now we just need to be smart enough to use fresh solar energy for everything. Power the HVAC, TV, charge the car...... We've been using stale solar energy for centuries, just cut out the middle man.

I used <800kWh driving from NM to WA last weekend. The PV system I finished installing right before I left will have produced >800kWh by the end of next week....

I cheered because I realized that only deep-pocketed vanguards could float such a radical concept.
Or Iraq veterans like me that saw the cost of our pathetic addiction to oil first hand and accept the fact we need to move to a more responsible source of energy ASAP.... it's called the Tesla-stretch from reason...

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
And wait for the cost of [FONT=Comic Sans MS, Arial]Hydrocarbon fuels[/FONT] to go up and up and up and stay there for some years to come ...

Then the 'grass will be greener on the other side' !

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
"Machine learning"? It can only "learn" what a human programs it to be able to "learn". It can't think outside the box when something happens that it wasn't programmed to handle.

The problem you're mentioning is on it's head now- modern deep learning exhibits true creativity, and does outside the box things no human could ever imagine.

We're into the classic genie problem with machine learning now: when you 'wish' for something via a mathematical objective, deep learning tends to reach that objective in a way we never anticipated, and never wanted. We can't program a neural network to do anything, we can only set an objective and train it to reach the objective. See paperclip maximizer

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Last week on RAGBRAI, I witnessed a smart use of solar power. One guy was riding his ebike from LA to Buffalo. He had a trailer set up with two 4x2 solar panels in a roof pitch over the trailer. Stored his camping gear under the panels. He was able to capture enough power to give e-assist for 40-45 miles a day and keep his other electronics charged. E-assist on a bike can be turned on and off and is used primarily for hill climbing. His plan is to be in Buffalo by mid-September. He has to stop in Detroit for a few days for pictures with some of his sponsors.

With the new super conductors and capacitors mentioned a few posts back, having a solar grid built into the roof of the car is starting to make more sense. Charge the car while on the go and stop at local charging stations to keep the batteries topped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.