CJAA starting issues when hot.

shaynewolfe

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I've been trying to figure out an issue with my CJAA for over a year now. When the ambient temp is 90F and above (I live in Florida) and the engine is warm, the car struggles to start. It takes about 3 cranks before it will roll over. I've had the thermostat, alternator and battery replaced recently as preventative maintenance and that seemed to fix the problem for a little while but now its happening again. Has anyone had this issue and figured out the problem? I'm thinking about replacing the coolant temp sensor next to see if that fixes it. Thoughts? I have VCDS and have monitored the coolant temps. Its close to ambient when cold, and gets up to about 98C while driving around. Thanks so much guys!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
This is reminiscent of the issue that plagued the 1999.5 cars! I had one, and IIRC there was a required cranking speed that a worn starter could not achieve and therefore the car wouldn't get fuel. This was only an issue when warm. I can't imagine these cars suffer the same problem, but that's just a thought. If you search alh hot start issue you should see some threads on it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk