axle flange size from auto to manual 5sp mk4

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I think the axle flange from the transmission to the axle is the same size whether the transmission is an auto or a manual? I'm asking because someone told me the auto axles I had left over from the 5 speed swap were the bigger 108mm. I'm replacing the axles very soon, finished the reboot of the auto axles today, and they don't fit onto the 108mm flanges on hand(flange just a bit bigger). So now I need a new bolt kit because you are not suppose to reuse these axle bolts:eek:

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Another question: will the automatic axles fit on the manual gearbox?! Are they the same length?!

Thanks for any and all help

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
01M auto axles are 108mm.... mkiv tdi/2.0 manual 02j axles are 100mm so they are not the same.... if you want to reuse your auto axles replace your 100mm tranny flanges with 108mm units from a 1.8t or vr6 five speed mkiv ....axle bolts can be reused ... manual bolts are 30 ft lb auto are 52

suzukipowered

TDI
02 golf
I know I am a couple years late to the party, but has anyone seen a good video on switching the trans flanges up to 108? I am kinda new to working on vehicles, I would just imagine there is gaskets and new fluid involved right?

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Jimbote (yes your post is six years old),

If I'm following what you're saying, an ALH 01m axle is the same a 1.8T/VR6 5 speed manual axle?

Eric