Buying a fixed 2014 Golf Wagon TDI

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
anyone buy a 2014 golf wagon tdi recently? im looking at a few at some VW dealers to take advantage of the 0% financing.

i know to check for rust where the rear fenders meet the bumper, hatch, hood, bottom of front fenders. also i plan on getting dealer to do DSG service and new fuel filter and engine oil/filter.

anything else i should check? the wagon im looking at is a comfortline 2014 with around 70k on it. also how long does the extended warranty last as i plan on doing buzzken dpf delete and tune.

i still miss my 2015 passat but they are way too expensive :(

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If you want to be 100% sure just ask the dealer about the warranty.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Yea, dealerships are clueless for the most part, I've worked in enough service departments and realized quickly... Best bet for warranty info is to call vw Canada but I wouldn't rely much on them either. Long story short if anything is flagged as TD1 on your car (meaning you have altered any of the original parameters), the general consensus is you will be out of warranty. Check out vw vortex and golfmk6 and golfmk7 forums. Lots of modded guys who went to "mod friendly" dealers had their warranty rejected because their car got flagged

As for as the time, I understand it's something like 10 years/250000km for emissions and powertrain related items

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Link to the settlement document giving emissions system coverage data - best to get it from VW:
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/MAHEdits--VW_2LGen1_CAN-EN_FINAL.pdf There should be a sticker under the hood with the date the 'fix' was done; clock starts ticking then.

You probably want to make sure this Tech Bulletin was done:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10054868-5146.pdf which fixes the intercooler icing problem (might hydro-lock the engine).

I should be picking up a 2014 Golf Wagon manual Highline with about 36k km this week. I might be doing a tune after a year or so; if you delete, no warranty on expensive things like turbo and fuel pumps so I don't expect to do that until the emissions warranty runs out.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
Link to the settlement document giving emissions system coverage data - best to get it from VW:
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/MAHEdits--VW_2LGen1_CAN-EN_FINAL.pdf There should be a sticker under the hood with the date the 'fix' was done; clock starts ticking then.

You probably want to make sure this Tech Bulletin was done:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10054868-5146.pdf which fixes the intercooler icing problem (might hydro-lock the engine).

I should be picking up a 2014 Golf Wagon manual Highline with about 36k km this week. I might be doing a tune after a year or so; if you delete, no warranty on expensive things like turbo and fuel pumps so I don't expect to do that until the emissions warranty runs out.
if i do the deletes and something goes on it, can i revert back to stock and have it fixed under warranty or will they be able to see the ECU was flashed?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
if i do the deletes and something goes on it, can i revert back to stock and have it fixed under warranty or will they be able to see the ECU was flashed?
If they look hard enough everything is visible. You want to scam the manufacturer and you ask this on a public forum?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Yes you are screwed regardless of putting everything back to stock. The only tunes that some claim are not visible are piggy back tunes, such as a jb4 from burger tuning (not available for tdi engines), which is a module that you simply connect to the ecu under the hood and remove whenever you want, but even this I haven't read to be 100% safe from being detected.

You want to tune, you can kiss your warranty goodbye, it's as simple as that

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
my thought process behind this is:

A) do i keep it factory and drive it till 10 years or 190k( likely will reach 190k first) and then do deletes?

B) do DPF delete and tune now and enjoy but now the fuel system and intercooler and turbo are not warrantied.

is it worth taking the risk to tune and possibly have a hpfp failure out of warranty? or shud i drive stock until 190k but by then the high EGTs and EGR can wear out the turbo bearings and clog up the intake manifold and cause problems out of warranty that wouldnt happen if it was deleted.

:confused::confused:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
my thought process behind this is:
A) do i keep it factory and drive it till 10 years or 190k( likely will reach 190k first) and then do deletes?
B) do DPF delete and tune now and enjoy but now the fuel system and intercooler and turbo are not warrantied.
is it worth taking the risk to tune and possibly have a hpfp failure out of warranty? or shud i drive stock until 190k but by then the high EGTs and EGR can wear out the turbo bearings and clog up the intake manifold and cause problems out of warranty that wouldnt happen if it was deleted.
:confused::confused:
That's up to you personally. I'm in a similar boat, I plan to do DPF delete and tune but I'm going to wait until my warranty is expired. The thought of having to pay for a HPFP failure out of pocket outweighs my desire to have a tune at the moment!

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
That's up to you personally. I'm in a similar boat, I plan to do DPF delete and tune but I'm going to wait until my warranty is expired. The thought of having to pay for a HPFP failure out of pocket outweighs my desire to have a tune at the moment!
thats the thing though, now you reach 190k km is it worth spending 1500-2k to do the delete?

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
thats the thing though, now you reach 190k km is it worth spending 1500-2k to do the delete?
I guess that depends on how long you plan to keep the car, and how quickly you put miles on. Maybe it isn't, but these cars are known for their longevity, so who knows!

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
'A jingoistic way of describing Imperial Units of Measurement. As Imperial units are used by the USA, "

Ironically, aren't "Imperial Units" a standard originally established by the British?

Didn't you yanks fight a War of Independence once upon a time? :D

.. signed, a neighbourly Canadian!

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
I just bought a CPO 2014 GSW Wolfsburg manual last week. So far so good...although they are going to install a starter for me on Thursday because there's an intermittent howl upon startup that was missed during the inspection. A dried-up solenoid...a known issue apparently.

Got it from Humberview VW and so far have had a good experience. And they were able to figure out how long my extended warranty is. It's different for every car, depending on circumstance.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought a CPO 2014 GSW Wolfsburg manual last week. So far so good...although they are going to install a starter for me on Thursday because there's an intermittent howl upon startup that was missed during the inspection. A dried-up solenoid...a known issue apparently.

Got it from Humberview VW and so far have had a good experience. And they were able to figure out how long my extended warranty is. It's different for every car, depending on circumstance.

how so? i think the standard warranty is shown here

https://owners.vwmodels.ca/pdf/VW_2L Gen 1_v2_CAN EN_FINAL.pdf