Underboost

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Has anyone seen a loss of boost occur due to a leak at the valve cover or is this not possible? So, we would be looking at diverter, map, actuator, hoses, N75, most commonly? PD motor. Thank you in advance.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
No, a valve cover leak won't cause a loss of boost.

A loose elbow to the intake manifold can appear like a valve cover leak though...

Check all hoses and connections. Common fails are the elbow to the intake and the S-shaped hose off the turbo to the front cross-pipe.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Thank you for your replies, gentlemen. I have checked those hoses as I understand they are 1 and 2 on the list. Replaced lower hose less than a year ago because of rub through. Got P0299 code after hard acceleration to vary rpm input in engine. Was hoping I popped or split a hose as a simpler solution. Will keep looking. Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
In addition to checking the hose condition, you may want to do some vacuum checks at various points. Start with the vacuum pump, connect a tee with a gauge right at the pump, see what you got. The line to the actuator will also help.
There should more thorough instructions for these checks somewhere.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for your input.