Jetta 1.9 tdi 2006 bent no4 rod

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Hi guys, just wanted to know if the above issue is fairly common on the 1.9tdi 105 Bhp BKC engine, just had one in the other day and after swapping 2 injectors as readings were of the chart- I decided to whip the head and found rod me 4 bent. The car had a small misfire which the engine ecu tried to compensate by throwing a bit more fuel to balance !
The car is in very good shape with only 140k km on the clock and it has never been abused- coolant level is fine and turbo has no play. The tune is also stock !!! Why on earth an rod would bend on a stock motor never pushed to its limits ?!!

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I'd guess that this engine has pulled some water through the intake at some point in its life ?

I've seen this before on a stock ALH.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
what's the intake runner config look like?
my ALH had a bent #2 and #3, the stock intake dumps straight into those two so I bet it was just slugged with oil from the intercooler
still ran just fine, just smoked blue/white a little bit when hot

I'd toss a used piston/rod in it and go, bottle brush hone if you really feel the need, but I wouldn't.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I thought the BKC lump was the reliable one. One of the PD105 engines is famed for throwing rods and general sudden engine death. I just forget the code.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
That was an odd one! As i said, only rod nr4 was bent and no sign of hifrolocking- car is stock otherwise.!
I replaced the bent rod with a 2nd hand one, all bearing shells, new cam and cam bearings, a 3 hole head gasket and pd150 head bolts along with a new timing belt kit and water pump, new INA black tappets, 2 used injectors and all is well now - nice smooth engine now with no overcompensating values from injector nr4.
The injectors were fine on it, i only changed because we thought they were faulty as the nr4 was reading off thr charts. Easy job to do compared with a rubish isuzu engine off an astra 1.7cdti i had to rebuild last week due to low compression!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
what's the intake runner config look like?
my ALH had a bent #2 and #3, the stock intake dumps straight into those two so I bet it was just slugged with oil from the intercooler
still ran just fine, just smoked blue/white a little bit when hot

I'd toss a used piston/rod in it and go, bottle brush hone if you really feel the need, but I wouldn't.
The intake runner is standard pd130 intake manifold. I bought a used rod and piston and swapped the rod while keeping the old piston. The car has ran a while with the bent rod- the owner brought it from germany driving it!
This engine also have a egr liguid cooler but showed no sign of leaking whatsoever. I still dont know what caused the bent rod as the other 3 were fine and the no4 rod is further away in the intake tract?!!
Tbe engine was shaking a bit on idle from cold but ran slightly better hot, however it smoked white, acrid on chil mornings. It runs well now and the new owner is chuffed with it!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought the BKC lump was the reliable one. One of the PD105 engines is famed for throwing rods and general sudden engine death. I just forget the code.
Bxc and bxe are the famed ones for throwing rods trough the block! They run non sputter bearings and they gall as a result. This bkc runs sputter bearings on bottom and non sputter on top of the rod shells, the old shells showed sign of wear unlike any pd shells i ever seen. Also engine was very, very tight on first start and almost could not spin it by hand! It freed off after flatening a good battery and jump leads from another car!
After letting the cam bed in it rab sweet as a nut!