life expectancy

chance

Veteran Member
at a party a few of us guys started to talk about our cars. they were interested in my diesel, but they said that the engine will out live the car. this one guy said that his volvo will last 17 years and this other guy said that his saab will go 15 years. i didn't know how to respond about vw's projected enginnering, any advice ?

M

mickey

VWs have traditionally had very robust drivetrain parts. Of course, that doesn't mean that NOTHING will go wrong with the mechanical bits during the engine's life expectancy, it just means that the problems should be minimal. As for the rest of the car: Who knows? I haven't seen too many old VW diesels with 300K on that clock that look like they're particularly healthy, though the engine is still going strong. But we're also talking about 15 year old cars here, and they're not exactly the sort of collector's items that folks fuss over with a lint free cloth every Saturday. They are usually hand-me-downs that have seen some pretty rough service in their day.

The build quality and engineering of VWs certainly seems to have improved greatly in the last few years. That's why I bought one.

-mickey

murraywest

Veteran Member
The bane of the American road is the VW. How many times in your life have you been behind a slow beetle or van. It must be in the thousands for me... so much so that I have HATED/LOATHED volkswagens for years. Their stinking cars and vans "keep on trucking" so long that they clog the lanes, and slow down the other 99% of the traffic, while the drivers keep looking steadily ahead like Alfred E. Newman on prozac/hemp. OHHH... and their little bumper stickers... "Save the Whales"... "Free Tibet"... "You can't hug kids with nuclear arms"... "Imagine Whirled Peas"... all intermingled betwixed stick-on daisies. They are the best reason for the NRA.

It took every once of my pride and humility to sucumb to the charms of the TDI. Now I stand nakedly neutered before you, and glory in 48 mpg and say... "CELEBRATE DIVERSITY."

p.s. ask your friends.. "Only 17 years?" VW's are barely broken in by then.

Strack

Veteran Member
I think we can expect a long healthy life from our TDI's. I've spoke to several VW Rabbit and VW Pickup diesel owners(circa 1980-83), some have had as many as 360K miles on their original engine. I think that say's quite about VW diesel longevity & durability.

M

mickey

I've never doubted the mechanical longevity. It's all the other stuff I worry about. At least I don't have to worry about my Bug rusting out. The usual trouble spots are all made of plastic, and everything else is fully galvanized.

-mickey

Strack

Veteran Member
Here's one to think about: All Volvo 240 models equiped with a diesel engine are actually fitted with a Audi diesel from Germany. I couldn't believe it, but it's true. These fine compression engines have been used for a great many years without incident of premature failure.

All in all, the TDI is probably in it for the long haul..

Our ulpholstry may rip and tear, but our TDI will still be there!!

Happy Motoring!!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
VAG is still providing Volvo with diesel engines. This is strange because Volvo has so much experience with its commercial and marine Penta engines. I guess it's cheaper for Volvo buy from VAG for the small auto-diesel market rather then develop and build their own.

Brian

JC

Volvo´s top of the range is equipped with an Audi engine. An old one. I suppose it´s not for being cheaper, it´s for being the best.
Audi S80 is using the "old" 2.4 liter 5 cilinder TDI with 140hp. Yes, we have the TDI in the Volvo´s also.
By the way don´t they sell the S80 in the USA?
And Ford is using the 1.9 TDI 90 and 110hp in a monospace called Galaxy, so check out your Ford dealers.
Conclusion: Everybody wants to have a VW TDI.

Torqster

Veteran Member
I have an '85 Scirocco with about 250,000 miles on it. That's with dino oil and 5K (about) oil changes. I just had the second timing belt replacement done and that's the most apart the engine has been--original clutch, even. The Recaro seats are as firm as new and, except for some yellowing from the sun, look like new. I think its on its third set of CV joints, left and right. It's starting to smoke a little on cold mornings, but the spark plugs I just replaced had a nice, healthy light grey color so the engines got plenty left. It still drives great.

The paint didn't make it, though -- it's kind of freckled, rusting from underneath.

My wifes 240D volvo wagon, on the other hand, has nice paint and a sound engine but has cost about 5 times more to keep going over the same period of time. It has a history of problems that don't get fixed until the third try and cost lots of money.

Volkswagons last a long time, that's why I bought another one. My impression of the engineering/design is a combination of sophistication and simplicity. I'm glad they've improved the paint because I think, with synthetic oil, this TDI engine will go 500k, easily.

[This message has been edited by Torqster (edited September 02, 1999).]

macpotter

Diesel volvos sold in the US had VW 6 cylinder diesels, turbo and non. Very similar to the AUDI 5 cylinder diesels, but very definately had VW cast into the block.

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
I'm impressed with what you folks know about TDI's in Canada. However, down here in the blazing Sahara known as Southeastern Arizona, hardly anyone has ever seen one. I did, and went right out and bought one. It ran beautifully on the return from Tucson to Bisbee. But the next morning I awoke in a cold sweat. I had never bought a new vehicle on impulse. I always meticulously researched before I bought a car. In this instance, the research suggested I buy a Camry. So I drove to Tucson to buy one. Sure, it did everything right, but it was boring and it cost too much. By contrast, the Jetta TDI was cheaper and definitely not boring. A few days after I bought the Jetta I discovered a DEUTZ (aircooled diesel) dealer in Douglas and asked him. A diesel enthusiast, he knew all about the Jetta TDI. "The engine will last longer than you will," he said. Reassuring, sort of. But I wonder about the rest of the car. I also wonder about the Tucson dealer who tells me at 5,000 miles he's going to put in Castrol Syntec, which is not CF4 or CG4. "Trust me," he says. I'd prefer he put in Castrol GTX 15W-40 which is a diesel oil. He says he will if I bring it and pay for it. What's with these guys? What do your dealers use in Canada?

Ted White

[This message has been edited by blugg (edited September 05, 1999).]

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

Once I saw the crap the dealer was putting in my car (Oilzum?) I started providing my own oil, too. Another reason this proved beneficial is because they NEVER stopped at 4.5 quarts. They always put in a full 5 quarts. Many in this forum have complained about dealers overfilling. It's pretty tough for them to screw it up when I give them a 1-gallon container of my choice oil and tell them to use it. The dealer will only give free changes at 5k, 10k, and 20k. The labor and filter is still free if you provide the oil; so you're still coming out ahead.

Take Care,

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/43,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

http://members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Scott, in what state is the dealer using Oilzum? I used to use that oil in my racing motorcycles in the 1970's. I'd love to get a hold of some if for nothing but nostalgia. I'm serious-please reply.

**DONOTDELETE**

WOOCHOW,

The OILZUM was used by Pearson-Miller VW in N. Dartmouth, MA. They were changing ownership when I left in May 1999. They may still be using it, but the new owner may have switched brands. I don't know if their large tanks were filled with Oilzum. I just know the 1-qt bottles of 15W40 was Oilzum.

Good Luck,

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/43,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

http://members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

M

mickey

macpotter: I don't think the engine's longevity "depends on the longevity of the electrical system" unless you plan to throw the car in the junkyard the first time the MAF sensor malfunctions. The "electrical system", such as it is, conists of a few relatively simple (and easily replaced) sensors and a comlex, easily replaced, and expensive ECU to make sense out of it all. There's nothing electrical involved in the engine's operation that you can't replace in your driveway. I think the TDI is about the simplest vehicle to understand and repair that I've ever owned, other than the cramped quarters under the hood.

-mickey

Craig

Veteran Member
Mickey: What!? Simple to understand and repair? Compared to what? It is like the space shuttle next to a model T when you compare a modern TDI to my old '85 TD. Now that was a model of simplicity. The only thing electrical in the engine was a single wire from the battery to the pump solenoid. All you need was this to run it after a push start.

blugg: I'll be spending 2 weeks in Arizona in a couple of weeks. I'll be flying there, but I guess if I see a TDI on the road it will be you.
I have a feeling that I'll wish I had mine there to drive in them thare mountains and canyons.

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS TDI white/gray

Boswell Bear

Veteran Member
TDI
former 1999.5 Golf/current 2013 Beetle Convertible
As a sort of side issue, we got a guy around here restores Mercedes-Benz classics (even a couple gull-wing 300s). He uses a viscous oil sort of MB undercoating system that is supposed to be the cat's hooraw. Anyone out there know anything about their system? He's a friend of a friend and will probably do it for me if I request (and, no doubt, pay through the nose). Wonder if it is any good. Probably the only thing I worry about in terms of longevity.