Intake Cleaning Photos !! (Large Photos)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
This morning I took upon myself to remove the intake manifold on my 97 Jetta. It took me about 2.5 hours, including one trip to the hardware store for a 6mm hex key. It's not a hard job, but it's somewhat trying on your patience, working in such a tight area.

I should be able to have a complete removal pictoral when I install the manifold back on to the car tomorrow.

As for the manifold itself, removal was well worth it, IMHO. The manifold was probably 70% or more clogged at the downturn past the EGR valve. The 4 ports on the intake that lead into the head were probably 20% clogged. Most of the clogging occurs at the first downturn, directly past the EGR. (All that crud must get blown against there and sticks, well before it has a chance to get down into the lower part of the intake.)

What you are about to see here is 89,900 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

Here is a photo of the intake:

There it is, the 1Z/AHU intake.

I think this is the best photo I could get of the inside of the manifold, as it's pretty dark in there. (Time to get a better camera
)

Here's another one:

You can't see a lot, but it's bad. Believe me. That's also after I started scraping it with the screwdriver (I was pretty excited to get that crap out of there!
)

Here's a shot of one of the intake ports:

It's a little out of focus, but you get the idea. The rest of the ports and the walls of the manifold all have a layer of gunk on it about that thick.

If you want to see the rest of the port shots, I'll provide the links:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/dzcad90/intake/IntakePort2.jpg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/dzcad90/intake/IntakePort3.jpg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/dzcad90/intake/IntakePort4.jpg

Right now I have about a half of a can of carbureator cleaner soaking into the gunk. My uncle has a 2500PSI pressure washer that I think should do the trick on getting this manifold sparkling again.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
maybe spraying white paint in there would allow the camera to actually pickup on the about on soot... on my monitor it is like closing my eyes...

your car should really guit being aneamic now....

vegasdzl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 NB DSG
Nice pics. Talk about yucky! Thanks for the post. Mine's only got 20K on it but I'm sure one day I'll be playing coal miner, too.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
oh! Oh! I have a question: Is there a gasket that fits between the exhaust
manifold and the engine block? Were the mounting bolts rusty and difficult to
remove? (That is, can a wimpy guy like me remove a TDI exhaust manifold,
given a 6 mm hex key?)

[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: cars wanted ]

[ May 14, 2001: Message edited by: cars wanted ]

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Yes, there is a gasket that fits between the manifold and the head. From what I could see, the gasket was new and shiny looking, so I'm gonig to reuse it. That gasket has got not quite 20K miles on it.(From a TB Failure @ 72K).

As for the bolts, they were not rusty at all. They also looked new. If your going to use a hex key, just get a small peice of pipe, maybe 6 inches long and about 3/4" in diameter and slide it over the long edge of the hex key to give you a little more leverage. If you do that you will have no problem breaking the torque on the bolts. Once the torque broke, after a couple of turns they were finger tight.

Now I just have to wait for the rain to subside to get this manifold back on the car.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
your camera is metering on everythign else -

best bet is to push the exposure (not as easy on a digital one)

or get a black cutout and fool the camera into thinking there isn't much light at all.

but wow!

ya didn't want to wait till this weekend?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
GeWilli: I'll have to try that with the camera next time. I found out that I can't make it this weekend

Well, the intake is back on. Getting it back on wasn't as hard a proposition as I thought it would be. It seems to have better throttle response, but I still can't get peak boost past about 17-18. I'm sure this will help with fuel economy though. I'm thinking it's time to give the intercooler "a bit of a how's your father"