Glow plug stuck? OTC tool for glowplugs?

ice2484

TDI
2001 VW JETTA TDI
I am having a probelm trying to get one of my glow plugs out. The threads are all the way loose but glow plug won't comeout.
Has anybody tried any tools like this to remove swollen glow plugs 6005 Diesel Glow Plug Removal Tool.

jobob307

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta, 2002 jolf
It is the carbon build up from the plug being bad. If you go slow you can get the carbon to thread and get the plug out. Go slow with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and it can be done. I have spent 45 minutes geting one plug out.

ice2484

TDI
2001 VW JETTA TDI
I have tried soaking it with brake cleaner and turning and pulling. Nothing yet. Not for sure but I think it might be swollen.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Just where did you get info on the 6005 diesel glow plug removal tool ? If you sprayed something into the glow plug hole to loosen it up, just remember to turn the engine over a few times WITHOUT the glow plug in it to blow all that liquid out.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Just an option... if you are sure the threads have cleared the head, you can probably disconnect the pump so the car wont start, put a few rags over the stuck glow plug and then turn the engine over a few times with the key. Maybe the compression will blow it out and the rags will keep it from sailing into the neighbors yard.

ice2484

TDI
2001 VW JETTA TDI
I heard about the tool on yahoo.com but doesn't say for VW. I have allready tried to spin the motor over and blow it out and it didn't help.

ilrocketboy

TDI
01 Jetta
I do know that on the old GM diesels, when people would bypass the ECU glow plug monitor and make their own switch that the plug heads would swell. Sometimes theyd snap the tips off pulling them out. Unless you cycled your key many times before starting to increase heat, I do not think yours are swelled. Good luck getting it all out.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Few weeks ago another tdiclub member from my town had exact same problem with glow plug been stuck. I was trying to replace glow plug on his TDI on 4 cylinder and when i was loosing it was turning very hard then later just got stock. We spend like 3 hours trying to get it out spraying brake parts cleaner, bp blaster, cranked engine, all kind things and there was no luck plus it was saturday night everything closed. His neighboor came to us and looked at it and remembered that he had trim removal tool. He brought it over and tried to pry out and glow plug poped right out on first try. Turnout to be the threads stripped right at end and made dip into glow plug and was holding it down.

I would try get trim removal tool, slide under glow plug and pry against injector bolt sleeve.

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
I recently replaced my first glow plug, and noticed there was some sorta deposit on the plug. So asked 1 of the instructors what could cause that because it was almost like a baked on yellow powder. Was told mineral element are attracted to heat, and thats 1 of the big reasons tap water doesn't belong in a cooling system.

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Would that be a coolant glowplug? I believe the OP its talking about the engine glowplugs.

brothersnag

TDI
2001.5 NB
Nope look at fuel additives and the OEM fuel filter there designed to keep water out of the fuel system. At 70k miles thats about 1,500gl for fuel used

ice2484

TDI
2001 VW JETTA TDI
:) :) :) I got the glow plug out. I got the engine up to running temp and sprayed water into the intake with engine running to get rid of the carbon inside the engine. It took 3 pulls and it came right out.
:) :) :)

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
ice2484 said:
:) :) :) I got the glow plug out. I got the engine up to running temp and sprayed water into the intake with engine running to get rid of the carbon inside the engine. It took 3 pulls and it came right out.
:) :) :)
Hold on, did I get this right? You sprayed into intake manifold water?:eek: so water got into piston and under compression blew plug out:confused:.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Dimitri16V said:
I hope it was a very fine mist
I hope so, but still I would never done that or come up with that idea to put water into intake.

ice2484

TDI
2001 VW JETTA TDI
Turned engine off after spraying about a quart of water threw it real slow. This gets rid of most of the carbon. It is like steam cleaning. Then was able to work glow plug out with no probelm.

Last edited:

Aavee8

TDI
02 Jetta Auto
Stuck plug

The OTC 6005 tool worked on my 2002 TDI, it was difficult to get it in place but eventually got the split nut in place and my plug came right out. My plug was just spinning in place with half the threads out. I striped the plug thread's. I thought it was a carbon build up or swollen plug problem. I had tried needle nose pliers and pulling but that did not work. I ran the engine at the same time as well, didn't help. I ordered off Amazon for $50.