Someone Sold My Totalled Jetta On Ebay!!!!!!!!!

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
yeah, why else would he sell it after putting only 2k miles on it. And he says he needs a diesel truck...but in the pictures you can see a pickup truck in his driveway.

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Once the insurance co. cut you a check it became their car.
Now, if you truely believed the dealership ran a scammed you & the insurance co then let their fraud department know.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
If you had asked the right people at the insurance company you probably could have bought the car back from them for "salvage price" I did this with a honda that I had that had gotten stolen, my insurance company paid me BlueBook replacement value and then sold the car back to me for $120 off of the payout. I'll bet that if you would have asked at the time the insurance co. would have sold this being such a new car back to you for 5 or 6 thousand dollars.

I know that if my insurance co. ever totals my car if it is in a wreck I am going to pull the strings to get it back. and if it is not fixable I am going to have one fast 1981 rabbit pickup:D

Last edited:

copperz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
06SpiceRedTDI said:
If you had asked the right people at the insurance company you probably could have bought the car back from them for "salvage price" I did this with a honda that I had that had gotten stolen, my insurance company paid me BlueBook replacement value and then sold the car back to me for $120 off of the payout. I'll bet that if you would have asked at the time the insurance co. would have sold this being such a new car back to you for 5 or 6 thousand dollars.

I know that if my insurance co. ever totals my car if it is in a wreck I am going to pull the strings to get it back. and if it is not fixable I am going to have one fast 1981 rabbit pickup:D
hes right, they would have loved to sell you back the car. But the car was already fixed (body) so it might have not have been worth it for him. but then again you dont know how much they would have sold it for.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
It was progressive guys..the guy who sold it on ebay probably made 5k or so..the insurance company paid out about 50k on that car between paying the dealer to fix and paying me 31k for the total losss.I know he paid at least 10 or 12k for it...the body was perfect..it was mechanical.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Something about the Ebay listing raises questions to me. The seller has good feedback. He has also sold a number of used cars for "other people" of wrecked/recently repaired cars. Perhaps some type of wholesaler.
- I just cannot understand how stealership cannot read a EGR cel & not be able to diagnose the problem of a valve stuck open. It is in the shop for months but the problem can't be diagnosed? Emissions new to VW? No teck assistance? It just does not pass the stupid test. :confused:
- Then again, I don't understand how an impact to a light post causes an EGR valve to stick open. How is the EGR cel loss (accident) related? :confused:
- How does the Ins. co. get 51K loss damages on a 1st party sheet metal claim & still end up w/ a CTL. :eek:
- Many questions, there may be. Interesting, the answers maybe.

There must be more to this story than what is in this thread &/or the Ebay listing. If I had a dog in this fight, I sure would contact the Ins. Co. Special Investigations or fraud unit.

At minium, someone either got a heck of a deal or a heck of a headache. Buyer Beware.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I see a $30,000 car that just sold on ebay for $18,600. You did the right thing by taking the cash. You just saved yourself $11,400.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
heh, I actually talked to the guy who won the auction tonight...I gave him Chris's contact info at VW of Langhorne....so we will see what happens.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Wonder if they just took the CEL bulb out of the cluster as it seems too easy for an EGR valve to be diagnosed.

I too wonder how this could be related to the loss.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Well, the guy who won the auction actually told me that he drove down there and test drove the car for half an hour and it ran great. Strange.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Well, the guy who listed in on ebay called me and he wasn't too happy. He said I was costing him a sale, but I told him that wasn't my goal. My goal was to keep someone from getting ripped off on ebay as I had been before. I talked to him for a while...and it turns out he is a legitimate dealer. So it doesn't look like Antwerpen was involved in a scam...the buy got it legitimate...I actually feel bad for getting involved in the first place...cause now the idiot that won the car is trying to low-ball the guy selling it. Turns out he and I know the same guy at the tinting place.

Anyway, according to what he told me, the car runs great...heck the guy who won it drove it for half an hour and said it ran perfect. I think this was probably just a case of an incompetant dealer that couldn't fix a simple EGR failure.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
no-blue-screen said:
... I think this was probably just a case of an incompetant dealer that couldn't fix a simple EGR failure.
Thanks for the heads up of another dealer to avoid. The Ins. Co. may have a complaint if that is the reason the car was CTL'd.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Well, I shouldn't have even gotten involved in the first place...I guess I was still upset that the dealer couldn't fix it after 5 months...so I was thinking scam...and the guy who is selling it isn't a scammer...he is actually a pretty cool guy...and I feel bad about getting involved. I wish I would have talked to him before I bought my new TDI because I might have considered buying it back from him.

Bighead

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
well thanks for the latest post noblue.....as you have now found out there are still a few good honest people left on ebay and not scammers..i represented that car with 100% honesty and stand behind it fully....i would never intentionally try to "scam" anyone as I was brought up to be an honest person(read through some of my ebay feedbacks) and believe in karma....there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with this car..as a matter of fact i was reading back on your postings last year and you even back me up by quoting "When they fixed everything, you can't even tell the car was in an accident....what caused them to total it was the fact that they couldn't repair the mechanical issues after the front-end collision."..this is in fact very true and is just what i said in the auction......the only reason this car has a salvage title is because the seller "rejected repairs".......if the accident was very serious then the insurance company would have never authorized the body shop to repair it.......it was when they tied up the car for a few extra months and kept trying to just change parts and bill the insurance instead of diagnosing the problem that progressive said enough is enough..this car was an absolute great find and i took the risk of buying it with the mechanical issues......i have owned a number of vw's in my life and have a few good connections so i figured one of my friends could diagnose the problem......it wasn't as easy as it sounds now to fix as the scanners don't say to just "change egr valve".......it took a very talented mechanic to figure out what the engine was doing and after a couple weeks he nailed it......the egr was stuck open and now the car is "as new".......i am not sure if the buyer is going through with the purchase or not but i have filed a "non paying bidder" on ebay to try and get my $120 fees credited back.......i think the real reason he isn't going through with the purchase is he cannot secure financing as he knew the complete history on the car and drove over 2 hrs. to come to my home and test drive the car and we went to lunch.....he knows the car is 100%......so if anyone is interested in a great fully loaded low mileage tdi drop me a pm or email as i would love to keep it and had no intention on selling it but at the present time my pickup has over 100k on it and i figure i could just sell the tdi and the pickup and get a new diesel pickup.......its just what i need at the present time.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Bighead said:
well thanks for the latest post noblue.....as you have now found out there are still a few good honest people left on ebay and not scammers..i represented that car with 100% honesty and stand behind it fully....i would never intentionally try to "scam" anyone as I was brought up to be an honest person(read through some of my ebay feedbacks) and believe in karma....there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with this car..as a matter of fact i was reading back on your postings last year and you even back me up by quoting "When they fixed everything, you can't even tell the car was in an accident....what caused them to total it was the fact that they couldn't repair the mechanical issues after the front-end collision."..this is in fact very true and is just what i said in the auction......the only reason this car has a salvage title is because the seller "rejected repairs".......if the accident was very serious then the insurance company would have never authorized the body shop to repair it.......it was when they tied up the car for a few extra months and kept trying to just change parts and bill the insurance instead of diagnosing the problem that progressive said enough is enough..this car was an absolute great find and i took the risk of buying it with the mechanical issues......i have owned a number of vw's in my life and have a few good connections so i figured one of my friends could diagnose the problem......it wasn't as easy as it sounds now to fix as the scanners don't say to just "change egr valve".......it took a very talented mechanic to figure out what the engine was doing and after a couple weeks he nailed it......the egr was stuck open and now the car is "as new".......i am not sure if the buyer is going through with the purchase or not but i have filed a "non paying bidder" on ebay to try and get my $120 fees credited back.......i think the real reason he isn't going through with the purchase is he cannot secure financing as he knew the complete history on the car and drove over 2 hrs. to come to my home and test drive the car and we went to lunch.....he knows the car is 100%......so if anyone is interested in a great fully loaded low mileage tdi drop me a pm or email as i would love to keep it and had no intention on selling it but at the present time my pickup has over 100k on it and i figure i could just sell the tdi and the pickup and get a new diesel pickup.......its just what i need at the present time.
Post it over in the for-sale section and see if anyone bites on it. The guy who bought it even said it 'ran perfect'. It doesn't surprise me that it was something simple like an EGR valve because I had heard so many bad things about Antwerpen...unfortunately that was after my car was already there....and once it was there....I got black-balled by all other VW dealers :(

I have been ripped off several times in my life...including once on ebay...so I guess I had the mentality that everyone is out to rip everyone else off. When we talked you actually made a good point in that all the scammers on ebay are giving the honest people a bad name.

In any event, good luck with the sale and the rising gas prices are likely to go even higher rolling into the summer...so you should fetch a good sum for it.