Jetta TDI 2009 - what oil, how much?

bklynkid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Jetta TDI 2009 - which oil and how much?

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I searched really hard and couldn't find the answer. I'm going in for my 10K scheduled service and I plan on grilling the service department to make sure they put in the right oil by proving it with an empty canister and telling me exactly how much they put.
So once and for all to clear it up... what kind of oil (507.00?) and exactly how much?
Any other tips for my first scheduled service visit? I'm nervous after reading all the horror stories on here.
Thanks!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Here is the straight scoop, VW 507.00 specification oils. Pick your brand :)

You might want to go down to the actual service department doing your oil change BEFORE the change is due and take or get a tour. It could take 2 mins to 2 hours, you essentially control this. You can ask then the very same questions. You can either cut to the chase and lay it out for them or ask them: What oil do you use for MY 2009 TDI. If you don't get a good feeling or they don't provide the right answers, BEFORE is a great time to find out, rather than .....after the aftermath....

So if you want shades of grey, here are a few curves.

1. The dealer sells VW 507.00 Castrol LLX 5w30 (gold bottle) That is the "technically" correct oil to use. Your 09 TDI would use 4 (33.8 oz=1 liters (135.2 oz)

2. (not likely but) The dealer MIGHT also stock bulk 5w30, VW 507.00 (comes in 25/55 gal drums). It may or may not be the Castrol brand.

3. But since most VW service departments overwhelming service GASSERS, it makes little sense to put VW 507.00 (5w30)specification oils on the main line oil hose system dispenser. So even under the best of conditions, the oil changer has to MAKE SURE VW 507.00, 5w30 is used.

4. #3 being true, they might just go(internal) to the parts department and get 4 liters of the Castrol LLX 5w30, VW 507.00. If so, count yourself lucky. It is pretty much and open and shut case. However it is not to the dealerships financial interest to use this oil, when it is SO much cheaper in bulk. Plus, something they can sell for upwards of $7.50 per liter now is ...consumed. I am sure they get reimbursed far less for the warranty work. ( included oil changes)

5. You can bring your own VW 507.00, 5w30 oil and order : use customer provided oil ONLY.

My two cent preferences are: (dont let this detract from the above post)

1. Mobil One VW 507.00, 5w30
2. Mobil One MB 229.1 specification oil, 5w40 (you might lose some mpg, it is NON VW 507.00, wear should be 40% less)
3 Total Quartz INEO 5w30, VW 507.00

Last edited:

bklynkid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Wow excellent post, thank you!

Hmm so seems like unless they have a bulk container of 507.00 (which you're saying that probably dont) then they'd have to use individual containers and in which case I can request empty containers to be provided to me at the end as proof.

But sounds like I should probably bring my own oil... where would I get this? Any old AutoZone or is this a specialty item? Also how would can I verify afterwards that exactly 4 liters were put in? Dip stick? (I have to be honest I've looked under the hood a total of only two times when changing the washer fluid)

Thanks again, very very helpful post!

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
avlube.com sells the Mobil 1 ESP 507.00. Many think this oil is a step above the 'factory' Casterol SLX 507.00.

You won't find any 507 oil at car stores (at least for a long while).

chester_tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Why does the receipt for a 10k service show 5 liters of oil? Are they using more then 4 liters because there may be oil loss in 10,000 miles? I asked for the left over oil and was given about 1/2 a bottle.

unsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
I thought a change required like 4.2 liters.

chester_tdi said:
Why does the receipt for a 10k service show 5 liters of oil? Are they using more then 4 liters because there may be oil loss in 10,000 miles? I asked for the left over oil and was given about 1/2 a bottle.

countryboy9799

TDI
None
I thought the oil change was 4 liters which is 4.2 qts. If they mixed it up and thought the oil bottles were qts instead of liters they thought they needed 5. It was my understanding the oil came in liter bottles anyways. Better check your oil and make sure they didn't overfill it.

bklynkid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all the help.

Since the oil seems to be special order, I don't think I can get it in time for tomorrows service. I'm going to have to just demand to talk to the mechanic BEFORE he changes my oil and ask what he is going to do, etc. Now, what should the procedure be if they still screw it up? If they for example give me back empty bottles and it is clearly the wrong oil or I check the amount and they put in too much? What should I say then?

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
My dealer gave me a qt of 507 oil when I bought my 09 Sportwagen six months ago. I just had my first 10,000 mile oil change and check up. All was great and I still have the same qt of oil.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
How can they screw up if you clarify what they are doing BEFORE they touch your car?

OK, that was a rhetorical question. Don't answer that.

Seriously, though, before they do the service, confirm they will be using a 507.00 oil, and that they will only be using 4 bottles (1 liter per bottle) MAX.

After they confirm they will do just that, BEFORE you leave their lot, pop your hood and inspect the area. Check the dipstick. You might be a little over if they didn't drain the filter housing, but a little over won't hurt. OTOH, if the oil is running well over the full mark, go back inside and ask them to remove some of the oil.

Take your time and do not be embarrassed to check their work in front of them. You are in fact a paying customer, even in this scenario of the "free" maintenance period.

BTW, part of the service is that they rotate your tires. If you take them up on this, be sure you check that they have in fact done this--again, while still on the lot.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
bklynkid said:
Thanks for all the help.

Since the oil seems to be special order, I don't think I can get it in time for tomorrows service. I'm going to have to just demand to talk to the mechanic BEFORE he changes my oil and ask what he is going to do, etc. Now, what should the procedure be if they still screw it up? If they for example give me back empty bottles and it is clearly the wrong oil or I check the amount and they put in too much? What should I say then?
Let us know how it works out !!??

On the separate side bar issue of "correct" oil level, needless to say there has been considerable controversy. Indeed there is controversy on the so called "plain as day" ( by the owner's manual) dipstick check/ing procedure.

Not to add to the controversy, but put forth as a practical consideration, slightly over ( up to a quart) over is not going to be catastrophic. Indeed I have even overfilled myself. Rather than evaculate it out (easy to do with an evaculator) I just left it in. Would I recommend that one over fills? Absolutely not !!

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
ruking said:
Here is the straight scoop, VW 507.00 specification oils. Pick your brand :)

My two cent preferences are: (dont let this detract from the above post)

1. Mobil One VW 507.00, 5w30
2. Mobil One MB 229.1 specification oil, 5w40 (you might lose some mpg, it is NON VW 507.00, wear should be 40% less)
3 Total Quartz INEO 5w30, VW 507.00
#2 is bad advice. no one should be using (or recommending) non 507 for the cr engine

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
#2 is bad advice. no one should be using (or recommending) non 507 for the cr engine
On the decision tree, I did state it and ordered it lower than the shades of grey category. I stated it was my .02 preference. I did state it was NON 507.00.

Indeed, I have been using NON VW specification oil for 120,000 miles AND with 25,000 miles OCI's. (Delvac One 5w40, aka Mobil One TDT, etc) Again you would not know this to look at the labels, but it did and continues to meet higher standards. (VW 505.00?) see my signature for the information if interested.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, but where do you get this claim from?

ruking said:
... Mobil One MB 229.1 specification oil, 5w40 (you might lose some mpg, it is NON VW 507.00, wear should be 40% less)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
OK, but where do you get this claim from?
The best would be to do a search (www.tdiclub.com) on the subject. It is really a low saps issue, for the DPF, as this is the latest 50 state MB tubo diesel specifications also.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't give us some B.S. answer like that. you are the one making the outrageous claim that this oil that doesn't meet the latest MB spec is somehow going to reduce wear a significant amount over VW507.

here's the best tool for comparing oil specs:
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RP/PC/index.html

MB 229.1 is laughable compared to VW507.00

P.S. in case you're gonna claim you really meant 229.51: it too does not beat 507 in wear....

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
Don't give us some B.S. answer like that. you are the one making the outrageous claim that this oil that doesn't meet the latest MB spec is somehow going to reduce wear a significant amount over VW507.

here's the best tool for comparing oil specs:
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RP/PC/index.html

MB 229.1 is laughable compared to VW507.00

P.S. in case you're gonna claim you really meant 229.51: it too does not beat 507 in wear....
It is the same research I followed to come to that conclusion. If you don't wish to do it that is fine with me. So again if you followed the top line advice, why would you have issue? You also probably think my 03 TDI engine should have blown up by now using the Delvac One 5w40, 25,000 mile OCI's.... now this is CLEARLY BS...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ruking said:
It is the same research I followed to come to that conclusion. If you don't wish to do it that is fine with me. So again if you followed the top line advice, why would you have issue? You also probably think my 03 TDI engine should have blown up by now using the Delvac One 5w40, 25,000 mile OCI's.... now this is CLEARLY BS...
huh?:confused:

how can you make that conclusion by looking at the spec comparison?

ALH tdi on Delvac 1 5w40 is A-OK with me :D . 25K mi OCI? if UOA proves it out, then go for it...

bklynkid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
So I went this morning and I have to say, overall it has been the best repair/service experience I've ever had (it was my first time at the dealerships service center). The service manager was very friendly and actually knew the correct answer right off the top of his head. "4 liters of 5W30" he said and later brought me the mechanic that would be doing the maintenance who brought with him a printed sheet that had the exact oil specifications, again mentioning the correct amount and oil type. Both the manager and mechanic were friendly and even seemed glad that I followed up in such a specific way. When all was said and done they brought the car out with a plastic bag of 4 empty containers and pulled out the dip-stick as proof. The guy even pointed out where he had rotated the tires.

All for free of course as part of carefree maintenance. I'm one very happy customer right now. :)

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Last edited: