need 01M fluid change advice.

lubdemdubs

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
ordering filter & fluid kit from metalman (quality parts?) the concern i have is being sure the trans fluid level is correct at the correct operating temp. all advice is greatly appreciated. also on a 1 to 10 how difficult will this be. any special tools needed?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
One method would be to measure the amount you drain out, and then replace that same amount. But that is making a big assumption that the level was correct to begin with.

Another option would be one of those infared thermometers pointed at the pan. Won't be as accurate as VCDS, but others have reported it to work.

Oh and btw, Metalman sells good stuff. No worries there.

Wasserpest

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta SW 6MT, '15 Jetta DSG
IMO the correct fluid level is when it starts to drip out the overflow hole. I know you are supposed to use vagcom and measure and monitor, but I can't imagine it to be that much off just because the temp is a few degrees lower or higher.

Like others said measure what comes out, and add some for the liquid caught in the filter.

It's really not hard to do if you have the right replacement parts. Be ready for some foul smell if you haven't done this in a while. :eek:

rackaracka

Veteran Member
IMO the correct fluid level is when it starts to drip out the overflow hole. I know you are supposed to use vagcom and measure and monitor, but I can't imagine it to be that much off just because the temp is a few degrees lower or higher.

Like others said measure what comes out, and add some for the liquid caught in the filter.

It's really not hard to do if you have the right replacement parts. Be ready for some foul smell if you haven't done this in a while. :eek:
It takes a while for the fluid to come up to temp with the car idling in park. I shift the car through the gears(Making sure to stop the wheels from rolling since its on a lift) and put it back into park. You would be amazed at how much fluid continues to expel from the trans when it heats up. If you follow Wasserpest's advice you'll probably have shifting issues as you'll be overfilled. This transmission is quite sensative to fluid level. If you don't have VCDS, or a friend that can bring it, you might want to wait. I've never compared the monitored temp on VCDS with pan temperature check, but it's probably reasonably close.