B5.5 Passat TDI A/C problem

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Of course there is a Heat wave going on in DC right now......
I notice that on low speed and slow driving A/C capacity diminished or was non-existant. When I am moving at speed it gets cool just fine.
I opened the hood and noticed that the Electric fan on the right side isn't coming on and trying to spin it manually it is real tight.
Anyone experience this??
And could somebody look under the hood and see if the fan comes on when the A/C is on and try to spin the fan when the A/c and motor is off and advise if it spins freely.
Thanks in Advance.....
I really don't want a dealer trip unless absolutely necessary.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just looked on dad's 1.8t Passat. The eletric fan is on all the time when the AC is on. (Engine does not need to be running for fan to come on) I believe the belt driven one is to... but it's on a lot of the time anyway. The electric fan is very loud!

The eletric fan was harder to spin then the belt driven fan, but not much. It was also a tad bit harder to spin then the eletric fans on the Jetta. But it did spin for a bit after I spun it. There was little bearing noise.

-Jason

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
What year is his Passat??
I am trying to figure out if it is a defective fan or a defective sensor that cuts the fan on.....
Thanks.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
His is a 2004.5

The Jetta is the same way, the fans will come on with the AC turned on and the engine not running.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Tomo, I checked mine (2004 TDI - as yours): when A/C is off the fan is not spinning and if i spin it by hand it rotates freely; as soon as I switch the A/C on fans starts spinning and does not stop until I get the A/C off.
Yours sound like an electic motor failure - especially if you can spin the fan freely when the car is off.

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
I will try to check mine when I leave from work today.

I do know from working on computers for the past 20 years that an electric fan that does not move freely while not spinning is usually bad.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Tomo,

We have been experiencing a heat wave here in Illinois the last few days with high humidity and temps in the high 90's.

My electric fan comes on and goes off as it is needed. It is not on all the time and I have been running the A/C constantly. I still have to pop the hood to see if the fan spins freely with the motor turned off.

The electric fan will also come on after the motor is swithced off in order to cool off the motor.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Tom,

I've noticed the same thing on my wagon (little cooling when the car is at a stand-still). I will check the operation of my fan later today.

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Tom,

I just checked my fan and it does not come on with the A/C. It is also difficult to turn like yours.

I just made an appt. at Miller VW in Winchester for Thursday the 16th.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Now I've got to check mine, in the mid 90's here today and A/C is definately sub par, especially driving in full sun, noticed a drive through a wooded area that A/C got much colder and was thinking, "this a/c is terrible"

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Ya, the AC in dad's Passat works great... except the radiator fan is LOUD. With that fan running, it's louder then the Jetta!

-J

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
Hey, I've noticed the same poor function in mine at lower speeds (definitely different than my 04) So I'll have mine checked out as well (and do the different "checks" as mentioned above.

Fortunately here we had a little snow on the ground this week

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Just checked mine after the drive in to work. It does not spin freely. I started the car w/ the AC on full and then checked the fan - it was spinning away. I don't think it is a problem if the fan does not spin freely as people expect it to like a computer fan. My guess is that the fan motor is dampened intentionally to prevent it from free wheeling like a PC fan. If it was able to continuously rotate (free wheel), then it would be constantly wearing down the bearings...

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Mine does spin free if the A/C is off (and engine running).

If the motor is powered (supposed to spin) but does not spin and when you try to spin it manually it resists really hard and if the same fan when not powered spins without resitance, that usually means one (some) of the coils has (have) failed (I assume you know how the electic motors work).

I would suggest Tom to take the car to the dealer and have the fan motor checked. It should be covered by the warranty.

It is not uncommon from the old days VW radiator fans to fail

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
OWR, aren't these fans just driven by a 12v moter? I would think it should spin freely all the time.

The ones in the Jetta do, and so do the one in the Passat (and the ones in our other 2 vehicles too!)

-J

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I spoke with My VW tech at Martens VW today. He said it was either a Bad Relay or the Fan was bad and to go ahead and schedule it in and he would take care of it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Couldn't get the car into Martens in a timely manner.....
Just got off the phone with (Tditech) Troy at Fairfax VW
he told me where the fuse was was 40 Amp under the dash (remove the cover) it was blown. I replaced it and it immediately blew again..... Scheduling the car in to get the motor replaced.

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
It's it in the fuse box that's between the driver's door and the dash (behind the panel?) If so, what # is it. Also, this will sound like a dumb question, but how do I know if a fuse is blown? Does it discolor? Does it "pop" out?

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
A blown fuse will have its element melted in two. The center part (silvery-colored metal) will be melted away. Not hard to see if you can find where the fuse is located.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
A blown fuse will have its element melted in two. The center part (silvery-colored metal) will be melted away. Not hard to see if you can find where the fuse is located.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
No it is under the steering column there is a set of relays and fuses under there you have to take the cover off ubder the steering column to access it This fuse is huge and yes it melted the element in half twice.....3.00 fuse

schipperke

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Grey
The A/C on our wagon sucks. It will blow cool air (not cold) then all of a sudden the air will be warm, then cool again.
I had the car in the first week for a fix, and they must have just waved a magic wand over it. Our two other autos were half the price, and will freeze you out!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
They replaced the motor it spins freely when off and comes on with the A/C
Folks you all need to inspect your fans and make sure that there isn't an obstruction.... he said something about finding some rubber trim material jamming it

passatwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon- sold, 2009 Passat Wagon 2.0T, 2010 Jetta sedan DSG
Mine has had the same symptoms, checked the fan motor and there is something caught in it, binding it. I had an appointment first thing tomorrow at the dealer, now it should be quicker. Thanks!!

TDI Believer

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
They have a new fan/motor on order for mine, so I'll need to drop by next week for them to complte the repair.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Troy realised yesterday that the TDI had a different motor than the Gas engine and special ordered the part overnighted so it would be here today! That is so refreshing!