Injection pump pulley center bolt came loose!

flyup123

TDI
02 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hello TDIClub, I’m back with another problem with my Mk.IV Jetta. My father and I had to pull the injection pump pulley due to a locking key broke in the keyhole. When we removed it, we mistakenly removed the 22mm nut in the center, as well as the 13mm bolts. I am wondering if we need to take it to a professional with the proper equipment to retime and finally get this Jetta back on the road.

Thanks in advance for the help

-Ben

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Did the pulley itself come off? Or just the nut? There's a chance as long as the pulley is still firmly attached that you can simply put the nut back on and be fine. If the pulley came off, you're better off sending it out to get built.

flyup123

TDI
02 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 TDI
Nero Morg, the pulley (if the pulley is what the belt drives in this scenario) did come off as well so that we could remove the metal piece from the keyhole

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hello TDIClub, I’m back with another problem with my Mk.IV Jetta. My father and I had to pull the injection pump pulley due to a locking key broke in the keyhole. When we removed it, we mistakenly removed the 22mm nut in the center, as well as the 13mm bolts. I am wondering if we need to take it to a professional with the proper equipment to retime and finally get this Jetta back on the road.

Thanks in advance for the help

-Ben

https://youtu.be/YLgfbLUNTEU

Start watching at about 14 minutes
The whole video is actually good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Did the keyway on the shaft nose leave an impression on the inner taper of the pulley? If it did just line it up as close as you can and tighten it down. As long as you have it close enough that the adjustment by the 3 bolts for the outer pulley gets you where you need to be in the graph you’re good to go.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
OK, I'm confused.
If there's a keyway, shouldn't there be a slot on the hub to align it?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There is not. :)

It's exactly like the keyway in the camshaft... there as part of the manufacturing process but not used in production, as the sprocket needs to be micro-adjustable.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You haven't answered whether the hub is loose on the shaft. Removal of the nut doesn't mean the hub moved. It's on a taper like the cam and would take some persuasion to get it loose.

If the hub didn't come off just tighten the nut and be happy.

If it did come off there's prolly some visual evidence in the bore of where the key slot was. Some careful marking should let you get it back on close enough. There's plenty of adjustment in the pulley slots to make up for it.

Also, I've read that they're instructions somewhere on here on how to clock it. I believe by using a locking bolt on the side of the pump but I've never seen them.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
There is not. :)
It's exactly like the keyway in the camshaft... there as part of the manufacturing process but not used in production, as the sprocket needs to be micro-adjustable.
OK, makes sense.

I tried putting a key in the cam of the 1st 1.5 diesels I had.
Found out real quick it din't fit. :D

Thanks.