2004 Jetta TDI intermittent stall

Letty jetty

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
I have taken my car to three shops and paid out the wazoo trying to figure this out maybe you can help.

My 2004 Jetta TDI (manual trans, 250k) will randomly stall at idle at a light or or slowing down to turn. It is very intermittent in that it only happens once or twice every couple days. It starts right back up after. It’s done this since around the same time as I had my alternator fuse replaced and the wire from the fuse to altinator and the wire drone the fuse to the fuse box inside the dash replaced.

Here is what I have had fixed/replaced in attempt to fix this:
Cam shaft sensor
Mass air flow sensor
All air intile hoses checked and replaced
Lift pump
Fuel filter
Fuel injection lines

I’m on speck for my timing belt so shouldn’t need a new one till 270k I think. Anyone else had this happen?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
A faulty crank shaft position sensor could cause stalling without a CEL. I had this happen to my BEW. The cable for this sensor becomes brittle over time and disturbing it will cause the stalling. I had to move this cable out of the way when I changed my t-stat, and that is when the problem began.
If this is the case I highly recommend a dealer replacement. A 9mm 12 point socket to remove it.

Letty jetty

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
A faulty crank shaft position sensor could cause stalling without a CEL. I had this happen to my BEW. The cable for this sensor becomes brittle over time and disturbing it will cause the stalling. I had to move this cable out of the way when I changed my t-stat, and that is when the problem began.
If this is the case I highly recommend a dealer replacement. A 9mm 12 point socket to remove it.
That’s one I havnt checked ok!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Sounds like a ‘minor’ electrical problem. Minor as in hard to find and easy to fix once found. The crank sensor is on the front of the engine down low fairly close to the bellhousing. The wire from it runs up to a connector which if I recall correctly is attached to the vacuum reservoir (looks like a ball). That is the wire that sometimes fails.