Spare Tire Size

UncleSpence

TDI
2003 Jetta
I bought a 2012 Jetta TDI recently for a price that I couldn't refuse. $7k with just over 60k on the odometer (6speed manual). Was recently from Michigan on the buyback program. Only issue I've found thus far has been that the original owner took the spare tire and tool kit out before they turned it back into VW. Did find the lug key which was a nice bonus.
It's a bit of a nuisance because anytime you put something in the trunk, there's no support, so it sags and all my groceries and stuff fall in a pile and disform the trunk lining.
I'm assuming by the size of the hole it was a full-size spare. Is that correct? My Mk4 tdi has a full size spare. Is there a year range of jetta spare tires that will fit this? Or does the Mk6 vary from the Mk4 and Mk5?
If you happened to steal yours before the buyback I'm in the market for a tire and kit. :)
Thank you for your time and infinite wisdom All Knowing Ones.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
Because I do some long cross-country Interstate drives, my spare is the same tire and wheel as the other four.
Can't remember the size, but it fits perfectly in the spare wheel well of a 2012 TDI Golf two-door. I wasn't enthusiastic about crossing South Dakota with a spare limited to 45 mph.
Too bad you're in Texas. The OE spare just takes up space in my garage. Aren't dealers required to supply a spare?

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Should be a 205/55-16. Just find a local salvage yard that has a VW steel wheel with a tire on it and use it as the spare. That's what I did when I wanted a full size spare instead of the donut that came with our '15 GSW. I have the donut in the garage if you want to make me an offer, but shipping would be $$$.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Just make sure of

1. the spare is also rated to 91 H like your regular tires.
2. You replace the spare as the tires ages - I had a almost unused fullsize spare on my Beetle - from when it was sold in 2000. I replaced that when I replaced my rear tires and I kept the best for my replacement spare - last summer when I was moving from Raleigh to Kansas City.

You also need to replace the donut spares every so often as well - say every 5 years (maybe less) .

Long time ago - I replaced the bolts that required the special lug key with regular bolts from the VW parts dept. That way, I don't have to worry about finding / keeping track of that PIA part.

Last edited:

UncleSpence

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks for the perspective all, and for the offers of spare tire sales. It will likely be cheaper to either buy the rim and put an older tire on it, or go the salvage yard route and find something compatible.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Sounds like you got this car at a VW dealer. Have you asked them about this?

Seems to me that a case could be made that a car that came from the factory with a spare tire should not be able to be sold by a dealer without one (call it a safety issue, perhaps?). Technically, then, your car is "missing parts" and I'd think the dealer you bought it from should be making you whole.

Have you spoken to the dealer or VW about this?

UncleSpence

TDI
2003 Jetta
To conclude this thread...
The dealer I bought it from was a small spot, with maybe a dozen cars at the time that I bought it. He was also closing his business as he was not doing very well, which was why I got a respectable deal on the car.
I ended up going to a scrap yard and bought a 16" steal VW/AUDI wheel for $30. I'll likely buy a cheap rubber from a tire place now and then find the jack and wrench kit somewhere else, or keep shopping at scrap yards when I pass them on the highway.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
car-part.com has an excellent database to help find that stuff in your area. Should be cheap and easy find.