Torn oil filter media

mpkier

TDI
Jetta
Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I am hoping someone can help me. I purcahsed a 2013 Jetta TDI two years ago. The dealer had just changed the oil and filter. One year later, about 8k miles, I changed my oil and filter. The filter, a Mann filter, had torn filter media. It had about a 1/4 inch tear in one of the filter folds, just about in the middle of the fold. I figured the dealer installed the filter wrong so put in a new filter and oil. I just did my second oil change and there were three separate 1/8 inch holes in tdifferent folds of the filter media.

I am thinking the oil pressure might be set too high, but I dont know how to check it through the computer, or how to adjust it. I guess I could plumb in a direct read gauge but still dont know how to adjust it if it is high.

Any other ideas or suggestions? I also used a Mann oil filter cartridge for my oil change. I find it hard to believe I had two defective Mann filters purchased from different places over a year apart. I did ask Mann if they have any suggestions but havent heard back,

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's strange. My Mann oil filters were always slightly deformed, but never torn. What oil are you using? I'd try some reduced intervals to flush anything out that might be causing restriction.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow, I better keep a eye on my oil filter, been going to dealerships for years. Might be time to do it myself and check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpkier

TDI
Jetta
I am thinking it is something with the engine itself. The filter didnt look like there was alot of debris in the filter. If I rule out high oil pressure, I will do what you suggested. I was using Penzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30.

I don’t know if it means anything, but according to Penzoil, VW asked Penzoil to go to a 0W-30 meeting the VW-507 spec. Penzoil told me it was a result of findings from VW when they took back all their TDI cars. I took Penzoil at their word and went to their Penzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. I won’t know if it makes a difference for a year. Maybe the damage was from operating in cold weather. I havent seen a VW document that says this is approved oil but don’t see why Penzoil would lie. It does meet the VW 507 spec.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
From the sheet Ol'Rattler linked to it appears the only approvals that oil has is for Mercedes. For the other vehicles it "meets or exceeds," which means the refiner thinks it's OK but they haven't received (or paid for) approval. And I've heard nothing about a 0w30 recommendation for VW TDis, and I think I would have. I have oil company reps in and out of here all the time.

That aside, I don't think the oil is your issue. What brand filter are you (or the dealer) using? And is the car filled correctly (not overfilled)? I'd check those first. Just because you had the oil changed at the dealer doesn't mean they're using an OE packaged filter.

mpkier

TDI
Jetta

mpkier

TDI
Jetta
From the sheet Ol'Rattler linked to it appears the only approvals that oil has is for Mercedes. For the other vehicles it "meets or exceeds," which means the refiner thinks it's OK but they haven't received (or paid for) approval. And I've heard nothing about a 0w30 recommendation for VW TDis, and I think I would have. I have oil company reps in and out of here all the time.

That aside, I don't think the oil is your issue. What brand filter are you (or the dealer) using? And is the car filled correctly (not overfilled)? I'd check those first. Just because you had the oil changed at the dealer doesn't mean they're using an OE packaged filter.
I used a Mann filter, the dealership said they used a Mann filter, also. I guess I should double check the parts store sold me the correct part, but I watched him look it up on his computer

mpkier

TDI
Jetta

Mann filters...

I agree that it probably isn’t the oil. I had been using the Penzoil Ultra L 5w-30 which is listed with VW. I leave the oil a little low on the dipstick so I know I didn’t overfill it. That is why I was trying to find out how to check the oil pressure. That is the most logical to me. If pressure is good, I am going to try checking the filter every 4000 miles. Maybe the problem is coming from something prior to me owning the car.

mpkier

TDI
Jetta
Just an update. I spoke with Mann and a different VW dealership. Mann said their best guess is my oil bypass is malfunctioning. VW said I would be getting a check engine light if there was a malfunction. VW also said they will warranty the engine if it is a defective bypass valve, but without a check engine light, they can’t really go in that direction yet. Their recommendation is check my new filter every 1000-3000 miles. If it gets another tear, to bring it in and have them put one in from Germany (Mann is made by a different company in the US than Gremany) and if theirs also tears they can do warranty work.
Mann is going to take my old filter for testing.
I will post if I hear anything helpful.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
My MANN filters say made in Germany right on them.
Be interesting to see what comes of this